who else loves Stay '81??

Genevieve Vavance

It's a cool song, it was being discussed recently in another thread can't remember which one but someone said it would be cool if she performed this version live on a future tour, which I think could work

AM I JUST DREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMINNNNNNNNNNNNNN?!

Who doesn't love Stay '81?

Didn't you post something about Stay 81 recently? I was trying to think in which thread it was being discussed recently, doesn't really matter it's a good song so deserves its own thread

I love this song. I really love the haunted feel of her voice and the simplicity of the music.

I also get obsessed with it. It's on my "laying it all out on the table" song rotation.

Guest rayoflightCOADF

uh wow this is incredible! how the hell have I never heard it before!? this is amazing thank you! *currently ripping this MFer to an MP3*

Didn't you post something about Stay 81 recently? I was trying to think in which thread it was being discussed recently, doesn't really matter it's a good song so deserves its own thread

I had mentioned it in the "demos that are better than the original" thread, but I think it also had its own thread about a month ago. It's such a cool song, it does deserve it.

I have been listening to this recently (it came on randomly on my iPod) and I was thinking how great it was. This should have ben on the first album, it's so much better than the LAV version. You can almost feel the time/era and place this was recorded.

Guest rayoflightCOADF

i'm in shock. I've never heard this one. :blush:

ditto. I feel like a bad fan. this song is perfection and thank god I found it. it is so beyond good I don't have words.

Was the production altered for its mid 90s release? It got a sort of house music feel to it..

Yes it was. Steve Bray wrote a bit about the songs and what state of quality they were in when he was collecting them for the release, I'll have to check the liner notes again, but I believe

he said Stay ('81) was not the best quality so he had to recreate most of the music. Its pretty true to the original though.

I think this song (of all the early recordings) is my favorite simply because its got all the elements of a classic Madonna song: it's danceable, emotional vocal delivery, simple yet effective lyrics, and a wee bit of sadness. I love the good ol' Desperadonna songs.