Brahim Zaibat: “Madonna is not a monster. She’s a normal woman.”

Andra

Steven Bellery has interviewed Brahim Zaibat for French radio station RTL backstage at the Palais des Congrès in Paris, where the Robin Hood musical will premiere on September 26th. Most of the questions are of course about Madonna.

Here’s what he had to say about the Queen of Pop…

She’s not a monster.

She has two eyes, not seven. She’s got two arms, two legs just like everybody else. She’s a normal woman.

She’s an artist, just like any other, but I respect her a lot more as she gives a lot more to the public than most.

So if we’re talking about the myth/legend, there is no myth/legend. As far as I’m concerned, Michael Jackson is the only myth/legend.

On working together…

I sometimes train with her because she has a really physical workout.

I don’t think that many people can keep up with her.

She’s a machine. That says it all.

Hard work pays off.

You can become a machine, whatever your age, size, weight.

She works out every day and since I’ve met her, I do the same.

I have a lot of respect for her.

On meeting Madonna as a life changing experience?

My life hasn’t changed.

Everything is good.

I just got older.

I’m still here, grounded. I see my family, I go back to Lyon and Paris.

I may live in New York, but I’m still the same person.

Source: RTL France

I didn't read his Michael Jackson comment in the way you guys did. To me, he's saying that the whole untouchable, hermit-like, crafted persona that Michael had, that certainly lead to the way Michael was perceived (in that almost god-like mythological way), is not how Madonna lives her life or puts herself out there.

Yes, we all know Madonna is a living legend in that sphere where only a small handful of artists dwell...but she doesn't live like Michael, she doesn't create like him, and she doesn't put herself out there in the way he did. Madonna is more tangible, relatable, in tune with what is going on in the world and how it reflects in her work. Madonna is much more present...where as Michael went and hid out for most of his life in his own world.

I don't know, maybe I'm totally reading too much into it...but that's the way it came off to me.

Guest Not4Pussies

I didn't read his Michael Jackson comment in the way you guys did. To me, he's saying that the whole untouchable, hermit-like, crafted persona that Michael had, that certainly lead to the way Michael was perceived (in that almost god-like mythological way), is not how Madonna lives her life or puts herself out there.

Yes, we all know Madonna is a living legend in that sphere where only a small handful of artists dwell...but she doesn't live like Michael, she doesn't create like him, and she doesn't put herself out there in the way he did. Madonna is more tangible, relatable, in tune with what is going on in the world and how it reflects in her work. Madonna is much more present...where as Michael went and hid out for most of his life in his own world.

I don't know, maybe I'm totally reading too much into it...but that's the way it came off to me.

that's how i read it too.

and remember, the interview was probably done in French. translations suck.

Same. It was a compliment to Madonna...

She’s an artist, just like any other, but I respect her a lot more as she gives a lot more to the public than most.

I read in that that he prefers an artist to be like a human being and normal, not a myth/mysterious.