BLOND AMBITION remaster on youtube

Kim

Speaking of Japan. Am I the only one who prefers the Fukuoka taping of GST over the released Sydney show?

Okay, so the picture quality of the DVD is hands down gorg, and it's a shame we haven't got a HQ version of the Fukuoka show. But the angles are so much better in Fukuoka. It showcases the stage better, and there's certain moments of the show that don't get shown at all on the DVD. For instance, the very opening of Rain: the DVD doesn't show the dancers putting the robe on M. Also the DVD doesn't do a good job of showcasing the boxes at the top of the stage, like in Erotica and Vogue. Plus the Holiday break is MILES better than what is on the DVD.

I actually watched both shows last month to see the comparisons and differences myself, I was going to list them all in a GST anniversary thread, which I'm surprised no one has started yet as it's already been 20 years since the VMA performance, but it just goes to show that all tour DVD recordings will never been edited to justice/perfection.

Speaking of Japan. Am I the only one who prefers the Fukuoka taping of GST over the released Sydney show?

Okay, so the picture quality of the DVD is hands down gorg, and it's a shame we haven't got a HQ version of the Fukuoka show. But the angles are so much better in Fukuoka. It showcases the stage better, and there's certain moments of the show that don't get shown at all on the DVD. For instance, the very opening of Rain: the DVD doesn't show the dancers putting the robe on M. Also the DVD doesn't do a good job of showcasing the boxes at the top of the stage, like in Erotica and Vogue. Plus the Holiday break is MILES better than what is on the DVD.

I actually watched both shows last month to see the comparisons and differences myself, I was going to list them all in a GST anniversary thread, which I'm surprised no one has started yet as it's already been 20 years since the VMA performance, but it just goes to show that all tour DVD recordings will never been edited to justice/perfection.

I would love you to list all the differences between the girlie show live in Sydney vs. Fukuoka as I've never seen the Fukuoka one!

The one thing I do love about Fukuoka (instead of Sydney) is the audio mix. Sydney is too sharp, and the audience is a bit too high. Fukuoka is rounder and warmer, and there's a few little added musical moments that just add that little detail I love so much.... and her vocals are much better in Fukuoka.

The first thing I did btw when we got the leak was compare the news report footage I recorded from Portuguese TV to check that it wasn't the same. I'll see if I can dig those out tonight and re-upload. There was a lengthy Vogue clip shown on their breakfast show and then some of Frozen - and some of the angles were different.

Usually what's shown on the screens anyway are only close-up shots. Never any point in showing wide angles or big sweeping shots of the crowd since the purpose of the screens is purely to let people see the closeup action they can't see with their naked eye. Yet the RiT that leaked is full of the kind of wider shots that are typical of a TV broadcast / DVD and that you wouldn't expect to see on big screens at a concert.

Yeah the long shots are what made me disbelieve that it was the inhouse feed as well. I do remember seeing an extended clip from Vogue in 16:9 and noting that it used shots from the additional crane that was set up on the other side of the stage for the DVD taping, I automatically thought that it was from the screen footage as it was different to the leaked DVD so it's interesting to hear that it was compiled later on for promo purposes or whatever and not what was actually shown on the night. I had a look on youtube at the actual news reports. Interesting.

Still frustrating to think that the whole thing may be sitting there already edited and ready to go. Going by the final Die Another Day/ Burning Up clips that were released on that website a few years ago, it was well enough put together with plenty of jump cuts, edits and swooping cameras that Madonna so favours these days. Who knows why it was shelved, but like you say, at least we have a full copy anyway.

Not very impressive. But there's not much you can really do. The big screen in the background pretty much acted like a main lighting source.

When you compare RIT to some of M's recent tours, it's kind of like an early proto type with the way how the video screens and the lighting play against and with each other.

There are a few numbers in MDNA where the lighting isn't needed so much and relays solely on the video screens. Yet there are other performances like Revolver, I'm Addicted, and especially Like a Prayer where the lighting is on full blast and actually works with the video screen and even stands out more.

When I saw MDNA, I was in awe come Like a Prayer. The lighting actually reminded me of something Peter Morse would have done. It was gorgeous.

The thing is, one didn't have to necessarily be sacrificed in favour of the other. It was very disingenuous of her and Jamie King to dump Peter Morse after all his superlative work over the years... for what amounted to lighting design that made The Virgin Tour or WTG look world class. He could easily have worked with the screens to fill out the whole stage in perfect synchronicity. I remember Madonna herself being beautifully lit for RIT, she looked stunning but the stage lighting design was amateurish to say the least and an incredible step back. But screens and minimal lighting seems to still be Jamie Queen's thing. The Rihanna stage this year reeks of his input. Just dreadful. Finally MDNA married both mediums together beautifully, but it didn't have to take so long.

I don't watch the Japan show regularly because of the average quality of the transfer but it is a great show and a good companion piece to Down Under. There's certainly some editing issues with it as well tho. Something sticks in my mind about a particular shot in Rain with the camera basically stuck on the one angle for like over a minute or something. It was weird. (The Barcelona BA show is the worst for that. Shot / directed on the fly and missing so many important parts of the show, abundance of long shots etc)

It's such a pity that for whatever reason Japan didn't get a laserdisk or official release of their own Japanese date this time around. I wonder why that was? Or even their own Confessions Tour pro-shot. So many missed opportunities that we used to take for granted back in the day with multiple versions of the one show.

So I'm wondering now - her answer on Reddit - does it mean anything or was that just a throwaway tongue in cheek meaningless comment?

Hi Madonna! When is Blond Ambition Tour coming to DVD?
Madonna:
when i can find the tapes in the archives

If there was any meaning behind that remark - it's intriguing.

Cos BA Nice is in the WB archives ready to go and even "remastered" in recent years - no need to be "found" by anyone.

It makes me wonder, could there possibly be a chance that someone really WOULD like to have the Paris filmed footage released as the definitive BA video?

I could believe that those "tapes" might very well be harder to "find". Whereas if we are looking at a standard release of Nice (or indeed Barcelona or Yokohama) "when I can find the tapes in the archives" is just nonsense.

So I'm wondering now - her answer on Reddit - does it mean anything or was that just a throwaway tongue in cheek meaningless comment?

Hi Madonna! When is Blond Ambition Tour coming to DVD?

Madonna: when i can find the tapes in the archives

If there was any meaning behind that remark - it's intriguing.

Cos BA Nice is in the WB archives ready to go and even "remastered" in recent years - no need to be "found" by anyone.

It makes me wonder, could there possibly be a chance that someone really WOULD like to have the Paris filmed footage released as the definitive BA video?

I could believe that those "tapes" might very well be harder to "find". Whereas if we are looking at a standard release of Nice (or indeed Barcelona or Yokohama) "when I can find the tapes in the archives" is just nonsense.

Very intertesting point you make there oh learned one ;)

We live in hope!

Well this was the lighting done for DWT and GST (by Peter Morse)

Frozen01B.jpg

Holiday0B.jpg

500_madonna07.jpg

blonde_6_med.jpg

This was the lighting for RIT

MADONNA-3-Steve-Jennings.jpg

arnhem_oliver_08_02_big.jpg

biagio_paris_04_05_big.jpg

Not very impressive. But there's not much you can really do. The big screen in the background pretty much acted like a main lighting source.

When you compare RIT to some of M's recent tours, it's kind of like an early proto type with the way how the video screens and the lighting play against and with each other.

There are a few numbers in MDNA where the lighting isn't needed so much and relays solely on the video screens. Yet there are other performances like Revolver, I'm Addicted, and especially Like a Prayer where the lighting is on full blast and actually works with the video screen and even stands out more.

When I saw MDNA, I was in awe come Like a Prayer. The lighting actually reminded me of something Peter Morse would have done. It was gorgeous.

How very internet generation of u 2 compare shots of his official site with random cell Phone shots from the audience.

Well then tell the lighting designers to upload professional shots on their site or to even create a portfolio site, as I could find absolutely nothing.

I don't watch the Japan show regularly because of the average quality of the transfer but it is a great show and a good companion piece to Down Under. There's certainly some editing issues with it as well tho. Something sticks in my mind about a particular shot in Rain with the camera basically stuck on the one angle for like over a minute or something. It was weird. (The Barcelona BA show is the worst for that. Shot / directed on the fly and missing so many important parts of the show, abundance of long shots etc)

It's such a pity that for whatever reason Japan didn't get a laserdisk or official release of their own Japanese date this time around. I wonder why that was? Or even their own Confessions Tour pro-shot. So many missed opportunities that we used to take for granted back in the day with multiple versions of the one show.

BAT is the only tour that I haven't seen in it's entirety, just performances here and there. I will pop my cherry with the Barcelona show since it's ICONIC to the fans due to the hair.

tumblr_m74ivim0rL1r90m4vo2_500.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rayoflightCOADF

I still don't fully understand why it has taken so long to release BA on DVD. The concert is an iconic and influential pop concert that deserves more love and respect by giving it another rerelease.

They rereleased the TOD film after W.E., so now they should do the same for BA!

i know. its such a shame!

i wish the "rumors" about lost footage and bonus features had been true about the blu ray TOD release. instead we got a bare bones blu ray release with no new footage at all *sigh*

• 4 weeks later...