Great Article I just read made me cry.. I love her so much

mnation09

Summer 1983: Ronald Reagan is in the White House. "Return of the Jedi" is setting box-office records. Rubik's Cubes and Cabbage Patch Dolls are all the rage. "Dallas" is the top show on the tube. Urban kids have discovered a new toy called the boom box.

And in New York City, a pretty Italian-American transplant from Detroit who had been hanging out in the downtown club scene is beginning to make a name for herself on the dance floor, and beyond.

Her full name is Madonna Louise Ciccone, and she turned 25 that summer. But the name emblazoned on her first full-length, self-titled record, released in July, is just Madonna.

http://www.cleveland.com/music/index.ssf/2013/08/30_years_of_madonna_how_the_qu.html

Thanks for posting. It's an interesting article. but I don't like how it repeats the usual stuff about that she's not that great a singer and she doesn't write her own songs. It repeats the usual tired stuff that she's just about business and marketing and reinvention etc. Journalists don't get that a lot of people happen to like what it is she's marketing. You can't fool people for 30 years with just business gimmicks. At the end of the day, she successful because people love her music and her performances.

Thanks for posting. It's an interesting article. but I don't like how it repeats the usual stuff about that she's not that great a singer and she doesn't write her own songs. It repeats the usual tired stuff that she's just about business and marketing and reinvention etc. Journalists don't get that a lot of people happen to like what it is she's marketing. You can't fool people for 30 years with just business gimmicks. At the end of the day, she successful because people love her music and her performances.

It just pisses me off. They never really want to give her full credit for anything. There are plenty of male artists, particularly in other genres like rock, that don't write everything themselves, or had influential producers or writers shape their body of work, and they're given applause for it. Madonna does the same, and yet the judgments and expectations on her are somehow so different - just marketing and image. Like you said, you don't last 30+ years on just marketing and image alone. How many writers, producers, DJs, designers, choreographers, directors, etc. have to come out and say how involved she is in every detail of what she does...on a level they've never seen with any other artists? It's like the media just has fingers in their ears and doesn't want to listen. Sometimes I wonder, is it because it's pop/dance music, or is it just because she's a woman?

Journalists don't get that a lot of people happen to like what it is she's marketing. You can't fool people for 30 years with just business gimmicks. At the end of the day, she successful because people love her music and her performances.

Yep. It's always great to come across positive articles about her but when they end up throwing out those same tired points you realize they just don't get her. It can get so frustrating because you know these writers (usually) mean well, but they don't do enough research to really understand what truly makes M so great and one of a kind. It's too bad every article/interview can't be like Attitude '05.

Journalists are giving Janis Joplin (whom I love) respect and she only wrote one of her songs. Mind you, she died at a very young age. But, Madonna deserves to be treated with the same respect. They need to do their research.

Where were these so called journalists educated? if they ever were educated that is....

Who allowed them to publish?

Who paid them to publish the same damn horseshit about Madonna being incapable of writing her own material, singing....?

Ignorant fuckers.

We've been loving Madonna and continue to love her for a lot of reasons, and her music happens to be A BIG one!

It just pisses me off. They never really want to give her full credit for anything. There are plenty of male artists, particularly in other genres like rock, that don't write everything themselves

*cough*Elvis*cough*

In fact did he write any of his songs?

A well-written article that recognises Madonna's hard work..... I agree with Glindathegood that you cannot fool people for 30 years without any hard work, discipline and ethical behaviour and responsibility....

Personally, late recognition is always better - because you put those ppl who wrote/talked/gossiped about you that you wouldn't last, back in their own place.... even w/o the use of physical force...a sheer brilliant counter attack technique!

Kudos to M!!!!

I'll say it again, fuck the songwriting. I actually think she's great & underrated producer, & a true old skool producer at that...

not like the 'beat makers' of this day & age.

'Who doesn't even write many of her own songs"? Ohhhhh-kkkaaaaayyyyy.

Someone needs to post actual truths there- is there a comments option? Ahh, I'll just e-mail her.

Also- she wasn't chained in the JML video. She was on Nightline to discuss JML, but in that instance, they were not talking about that video.

I sent this brief e-mail:

-----------------------------------

Hi- thanks for the article in recognition of Madonna's 30 years.

A couple of things:

*. "Who doesn't even write many of her songs": Are you very familiar with her compositions, or credits? If you peruse her catalog, you will see that she in fact co-writes and co-produces the majority of her music. :)

* When talking about being chained to a bed, she was referring to the "Express Yourself" video, not "Justify My Love." She was on Nightline to discuss the latter banned video, but at that instance, "Express Yourself" was being discussed.

Overall thoughts:

Madonna probably is the most important and well-regarded female performer of the last 30 years.She's the full package- the music, the performances, the cultural button-pushing, the marketing- it's not one thing over another- they all are important in making Madonna, well, Madonna. What she has done in her work (music, performance, videos) for gender, racial, religious, sexual and social mores- peerless. An entertainment world without Madonna? Perish the thought.

Thanks and have a good day,

Jim R.