Fever (Album Version) Appreciation

vocalism

I'm still in love with this version. I'm listening to it right now and it doesn't sound dated at all. There are so many little details that are perfection, like the horns and that icy drop that happens 9 seconds in. I love that it's such a "cold" song despite it being about having a "fever." So much of Erotica is so raw, and this is the closest it gets to the slick sound of "Vogue" and "Rescue Me."

Anyone know if the horn sound at 4:34 is a sample of something?

Discuss.

Fever+%287%29+by+Oscar+Marquez.jpg

OMG! I love, love, love, love the album version! It's perfection and I agree that it hasn't aged at all! I don't like the Video Version that much I think the album version has more dynamik in it. Plus, the SNL performance was...ugh I can't even describe it.

A friend and I were recently talking about which live version of "Fever" is the best. It's funny to think that's she's performed it so many time and in different ways, almost like it was one of her biggest hits. I'm surprised she hasn't dusted it off for a tour yet - I'm sure it will happen eventually.

SNL (similar to album version but with live instruments)

Arsenio (big band version pretty faithful to original arrangement and my personal favorite)

Girlie Show (can't really remember what version this was since I'm not a big fan of it)

This song is soooo under appreciated, it is simply to die for. And with that video? Ugh I feel like it sticks out as so cool and different than anything she had done to that point. Criminally overdue to be included in a tour.

"Fever" is literally one of my favorite Madonna songs.

Should have been a much bigger hit.

The fact that she hasn't dusted off the song in a while is just sad. And I have a feeling this is a song that she probably still enjoys.

I could have seen it right after Vogue in MDNA's masc/fem section (though I do love "The Erotic Candy Shop"). I could also have seen a really funked up version in the pimp section of Sticky and Sweet in place of Human Nature.

She's got to pull this one out again.

Her covers are generally pretty good - "Fever," "Love Don't Live Here Anymore," "I Want You." Even "American Pie" is better than the original (but that's because I don't care for the original at all).

I love that Fever was playing on the loud system when she made her entrance for the superbowl press conference prior to the actual Super Bowl. I was not expecting to hear such a forgotten great track from the erotica era that day!

I love that Fever was playing on the loud system when she made her entrance for the superbowl press conference prior to the actual Super Bowl. I was not expecting to hear such a forgotten great track from the erotica era that day!

And she was dancing to it too.

I still wonder who chose that track, Madonna or the Super Bowl people?

I love every single recorded version of this song. It's glorious. In every way. You'd think it was written by her. It's really difficult to make a song as iconic as that your own but of course Madonna can. I love that you can hear the breath on the mic in the album version. :wow: I love the bass groove. I love the lead lines. I love the percussive stabs. I love when the instrumental drops leaving nothing but finger clicks and vocals. I love it all.

Question; during the chorus, is there a xylophone in the background? I'm i hearing that correctly?

Whatever it is, it's my favorite part :wow: Subtle, yet wonderful.

I always assumed it was a synthetic marimba sound. Marimba. :inlove:

Question; during the chorus, is there a xylophone in the background? I'm i hearing that correctly?

Whatever it is, it's my favorite part :wow: Subtle, yet wonderful.

U r so my son.

When I first heard it I didn't like but when I saw the vdo coupled with that stunning perfoamce on Girlie Show I became a fan of this song.

I think Fever vdo is one of her best and least appreciated vdos.

I think this is my favorite remix:

And I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the video at all. Never have been. It looks cheaply made and very dated - even at the time I remember thinking that. There are some cool looks/images, but the green screen and editing are just bad. It looks like an unofficial video you'd see playing in a gay bar. Definitely the weakest of the Erotica videos.

I actually think that's what makes it so cool. The green screen videos like give it to me and celebration look way more cheap to me than fever. It was more intentionally campy and retro

the album version is just above and beyond everything. I forget how much I love it and then I listen to the album and... the way it just barges in after Erotica and puts everything in order.

I think this is my favorite remix:

And I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the video at all. Never have been. It looks cheaply made and very dated - even at the time I remember thinking that. There are some cool looks/images, but the green screen and editing are just bad. It looks like an unofficial video you'd see playing in a gay bar. Definitely the weakest of the Erotica videos.

Nooooooooo. It's pure brilliance. It's so real. So alive. It's not 'dated'. It's a classic! Makes me wanna paint myself silver and set my hair so that I look like a statue of a windswept goddess. It's pure and true brilliance. Love it. :inlove:

I love the Extended 12", I prefer it to the album version. There is something more alive about it and I love the additional instrumental half way through it :)

Well, its amazing!

She owns this song. It has her best huge set of remixes too.

Def. in my top 10 Madonna(!) songs.

Cool fact: Peggy Lee (the original Fever singer) praised Madonnas version..

I do love that performance of "Fever," but she was obviously really nervous or didn't have much rehearsal time because she has two mistakes: She's screws up the "Julie, baby, you're my flame" line and then sings over the sax solo.

YES - I remember seeing this when it originally aired and thinking - I AM SO HAPPY WHEN SHE SINGS THE HELL OUT OF SOMETHING PURELY LIVE - her voice was really coming into her own during Erotica - the nice lower tones - very grown-up singing!

It's all about this