Donna Delory dishes on Madonna

CMoody

Donna De Lory, who was one of Madonna’s backing vocalists for twenty years, was interviewed by conservative website FOX411, for the promo of her upcoming album.
One of the topics was of course Madonna, but Donna didn’t have anything nice to say…

On Kabbalah…

Kabbalah, all of a sudden, was mandatory. I thought it couldn’t hurt, but it wasn’t my belief system per se. However, two times the teacher tied on the [Kabbalah symbol of the] red-string, and two times I watched it untie and come off me. They tie these things and knot them and they aren’t supposed to come off for a long time. After it came off two times on its own, I figured that I didn’t need that to protect me.

On the MDNA Tour…

I looked at some clips online. I know her and what she is trying to do. But the whole thing in trying to advocate non-violence and then be on stage with guns?
Even though she is very wealthy and very famous, Madonna is still human and like all of us, she is trying to figure it all out. She was always a great example for me; she worked so hard and wanted something so badly.

On the music industry…

I would go to her parties, name any star and they would be there. But these people weren’t my friends. I didn’t feel comfortable. To think of myself in a scene like that felt empty. And I got more and more into world music and the record company was like, what is she tripping on? They were telling me I was overweight, I looked too big in my music videos. I was belly-dancing and wanted my stomach to actually be a stomach. I stood up and told them tough luck, I had already passed that point in my 20’s of being so insecure with trying to be skinny.

I want my voice to be that vehicle that heals the hearts of others. I love having fun and dancing, and I love the celebration of performing, but I want to use my voice for something more.

And even though De Lory became suspicious when camera crews started following them around in 1990 with the claim that “Madonna just wants home footage” and warned everyone else to be careful about what they said, one Hollywood star almost caused her undoing.

I had a French boyfriend I met on the first tour, we were going to breakup, but we were holding off. So I was off with Madonna in London and I met Robert Downey Jr. He just rocked my world. We started hanging out. Then in ‘Truth or Dare’ they asked me if I had ever messed around on my boyfriend and told the truth. Sitting in the screening, I was so afraid, even though I was breaking up with my boyfriend, that he would see this… Luckily, none of that about me ended up in there.

On redemption (self promotion?)…

I was babysitting as a teenager in Beverly Hills and the mom said ‘come to Church.’ It was about going inside yourself and healing your own suffering and being part of a community. I love finding the truth in every religion. One grandmother was a Catholic and the other was a Christian, and I see clearly that it is all pointing reference to the same place…I hope when people hear my music they will just hear how much I love God and how thankful I am.

Read more: http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2013/08/29/donna-de-lory-dishes-on-madonna-and-its-not-pretty/#ixzz2dMiSlRxJ

Guest bluejean

That's interesting.

I don't think she was being negative about Madonna on a personal note but just giving her opinion on the MDNA tour. That's her opinion and obviously she feels the freedom to express herself about it now that she's not part of Madonna's circle.

Not sure how I feel about the Kabbalah thing, I suspect Madonna is just very pushy/opinionated and probably forced her ideas on people but I don't imagine it was a "become a Kabbalist or we're not friends/you're fired" type deal. Stuart Price said in IGTTYAS he didn't even believe in God and Madonna continued working with him after that. Donna is very submissive from what I can tell too, probably found it hard to say no upfront to someone like Madonna.

That's sort of gross that they lied about the Truth or Dare cameras. The stuff she said about Hollywood is perfectly understandable and the stuff about not wanting to be skinny too and wanting to make the music she wants to make. I totally respect what she's saying. She comes across as quite a grounded in tune person to me.

Donna Delory has been with Madonna for soooooo long, that she can express herself if she wants to, and she always does in a nice way. I understand what she means with MDNA Tour, but i guess we all are used to Madonna preaching this and then doing just the opposite for art sake or for business sake.

That's interesting.

I don't think she was being negative about Madonna on a personal note but just giving her opinion on the MDNA tour. That's her opinion and obviously she feels the freedom to express herself about it now that she's not part of Madonna's circle.

Not sure how I feel about the Kabbalah thing, I suspect Madonna is just very pushy/opinionated and probably forced her ideas on people but I don't imagine it was a "become a Kabbalist or we're not friends/you're fired" type deal. Stuart Price said in IGTTYAS he didn't even believe in God and Madonna continued working with him after that. Donna is very submissive from what I can tell too, probably found it hard to say no upfront to someone like Madonna.

That's sort of gross that they lied about the Truth or Dare cameras. The stuff she said about Hollywood is perfectly understandable and the stuff about not wanting to be skinny too and wanting to make the music she wants to make. I totally respect what she's saying. She comes across as quite a grounded in tune person to me.

Exactly. She was honest and respectful, while still having her own point of view. She's always been that way too. Nothing negative here at all.

Guest Not4Pussies

she is just speaking her mind.

plus, when RIT took place there were rumors that everyone had to wear the red string. she is basically confirming it.

esther was on full force for that tour. i dont think she makes her dancers wear the red strings anymore since CT.

Exactly. She was honest and respectful, while still having her own point of view. She's always been that way too. Nothing negative here at all.

I agree about Donna. To make Truth or Dare into a film though they must have had somewhat of a crew there. I mean filming a home movie would have just required Alek.

She was dumped by Madonna and probably never heard from her again, so I don't think it was a particularly negative interview from someone in her position.

"Dishes" isn't an issue; it's the "it-aint-pretty" which gave it a negative slant (when, what she said, wasn't).

Madonna "dumped" Donna? I thought she opted not to continue with the touring- I mean, she was with her for a long time. Eventually, you just move on, professionally.

I felt the interview was clear and precise, and not colored with negative emotions. I like that people around Madonna talk frankly, not always kissing her ass. I'm a fan, I want the "true" story.

All kudos to D!

"Dishes" isn't an issue; it's the "it-aint-pretty" which gave it a negative slant (when, what she said, wasn't).

Madonna "dumped" Donna? I thought she opted not to continue with the touring- I mean, she was with her for a long time. Eventually, you just move on, professionally.

You're right! If I recall both Nicki and Donna were asked back, but they both actually had other conflicting life issues/schedules. I'm sure after the first time both didn't come back, Madonna figured it would be cheaper to higher someone else to back her up.

I don't see it as a negative article either. And knowing the media, it's possible they punched up what Donna said to make it sound like there was more animosity. I'm sure Madonna did try to share her interest in Kaballism with those she worked with, but I don't believe for a second she pushed it on anyone. It's possible the interviewer embellished/or wrote it to make it sound like that's what Donna thought.

Donna Delory has been with Madonna for soooooo long, that she can express herself if she wants to, and she always does in a nice way. I understand what she means with MDNA Tour, but i guess we all are used to Madonna preaching this and then doing just the opposite for art sake or for business sake.

Sigh. Nothing Madonna did on the MDNA tour was hypocritical. Why are some people so simple?

Good interview. Interesting that Donna found the fame game a bit too much. You'd think many backup singers might want the spotlight themselves. She seems to have shied away from that after seeing the baggage that went with it. Seems she's content with just being Donna.

Kabbalah, all of a sudden, was mandatory. I thought it couldn’t hurt, but it wasn’t my belief system per se. However, two times the teacher tied on the [Kabbalah symbol of the] red-string, and two times I watched it untie and come off me. They tie these things and knot them and they aren’t supposed to come off for a long time. After it came off two times on its own, I figured that I didn’t need that to protect me.

I would not stand for this. I would tell Madonna where to cram her Kabbalah.

There is one reason and one reason only that Donna didn't do the Sticky and Sweet Tour - she was pregnant. Here it is from the horse's mouth:

"I remember when Nicki Richards called me from Madonna's promo tour in New York. She told me that they would be calling me to tour for the Sticky and Sweet tour. I was already pregnant with my 2nd child Luciana. I knew that I would not be able to do the tour."

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story, though?

There is one reason and one reason only that Donna didn't do the Sticky and Sweet Tour - she was pregnant. Here it is from the horse's mouth:

"I remember when Nicki Richards called me from Madonna's promo tour in New York. She told me that they would be calling me to tour for the Sticky and Sweet tour. I was already pregnant with my 2nd child Luciana. I knew that I would not be able to do the tour."

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story, though?

Carta, love how you always know the facts. :inlove:

Can always rely on you to prove them too. xx

Because she asked you to wear a symbolic piece of string as a sign of strength and unity? Okay...

So should the dancers on the MDNA tour have told her to stick her catholic iconography because they didn't wanna wear it?

Guest bluejean

Good interview. Interesting that Donna found the fame game a bit too much. You'd think many backup singers might want the spotlight themselves. She seems to have shied away from that after seeing the baggage that went with it. Seems she's content with just being Donna.

I think it's because there is a big difference between being a singer wanting to be on stage/in the spotlight verses wanting to be mega famous. It's two different things. Fame is a very extreme measure of recognition and not all performers want that imo. And its a world filled with shallowness as Madonna has pointed out herself. Donna had a taste and a glimpse into that world and evidently didn't feel all that compelled to stop at nothing for fame even though she had all the right contacts and opportunities. I'm not saying she had what it takes but imo she wasn't that fame hungry really. And as it is she has the best of both worlds, she gets to travel the world and make a career doing what she loves without giving up a normal existence.

"You will wear this string for protection. Do you understand me? You don't want to make me angry do you?"

madonna-we-premiere.jpg

"Donna. I said put the fucking string on. Now."

MJ+2012+Madonna+3.jpg

Siedah got no time 4 Donna

We kinda talked about this a few months ago in a Niki Haris thread, about how Donna was the true mean dog (not Niki) and not as sweet as she comes off as.

And I thought Donna was very into Kaballah and all that stuff....