Adam and Company's unused concept art for "Celebration"

ryan

Don't know if anyone ever remembers this.

But Adam and Company (who did the design/packaging for Beyonce's '4' and N.E.R.D's 'Nothing') was reached out early on in the making of the 2009 greatest hits collection that would be "Celebration."

As her 25 year contract with Warner Brothers came to an end, Madonna was to release a definitive greatest hits record that would catalogue her career to date, simply titled Hits. Adam&Co. was invited to develop packaging concepts for the release. This concept illustrates a 6-panel digi-pak enclosed in a clear plastic, 1 color silk-screened sleeve. The digi-pak folds out to reveal Madonna posed in the sign of the cross. The booklet that accompanied the package was designed to resemble a bible. Each chapter containing text around each album of her career, accompanied by a unique illustration that references her stylings from that era.

madonna.jpg

Madonna_01.jpg

Madonna_02.jpg

Madonna_03.jpg

Madonna_04.jpg

I do like their concept idea, using the digipak and having it fold out like a cross. But the cover is horrid, I hate that close up of the Miesel image, and while I like how they played around with the "hits" title on the slip casing with the bullet holes/shattered glass, I loathe the idea of titling the collection as "Hits." :manson:

The cover image on the booklet is pretty nice, but the inside images are pretty lame.

I'm glad they did not use this. The Mr. Brainwash image is far superior than anything out there. It's so iconic. I love silk screens. And Madonna is the true definition of Pop Art.

It's a fantastic concept (very MDNA Tour), but the imagery used is ugly. I know I tend to bring this up a lot, but imagine they used Interview 2010 for this instead? Imagine that cross foldout with this.

20100528-madonna-interview-magazine-alte

Talk about ICONIC. :wow: it coulda been the best packaging she's had to date. But oh well!

Studio Mogollon were also asked to design a concept. I usually love their work but the Madonna design was umm just lame - take a look

http://www.mogollon-ny.com/new/index.php?/print/madonna/

I hate design above along with the Mr. Brainwash cover. I think they're all terrible. I've absolutely no doubt that I could've done something far superior.

Could have been good if they chose better pictures of her. Maybe not so dark either. I like that there was originally going to be so much detil put into this greatest hits collection. Seems they did a 180

Studio Mogollon were also asked to design a concept. I usually love their work but the Madonna design was umm just lame - take a look

http://www.mogollon-ny.com/new/index.php?/print/madonna/

I hate design above along with the Mr. Brainwash cover. I think they're all terrible. I've absolutely no doubt that I could've done something far superior.

I actually really really like this design.

I actually like some of the ideas used here.

I WISH she had a team around her that put together some cool packaging for her greatest hits. I feel like as Madonna fans we always lose out when it comes to cool packaging or special editions.

I think I like what we actually got (for once). Mr. Brainwash captured Madonna Nostalgia perfectly with his concept and design. Very Warhol-meets-Street-Punk-Art. Totally acid glamour, and I love it.

It reminds me a lot of early 80's Madonna. Especially her single covers from the first album. When you look at the first page inside the booklet, it reminds me of the Everybody single cover.

MBW and his team captured everything about M's image in the overall artwork. I love it. But yes I agree with everyone else that we should have gotten some kind of special/limited edition.

Whoopie you're reading my mind - I was literally just thinking about this. I'd love to see the rest of the booklet, if it was produced at all and I'd also love to read the content, but from what I can see it just looks like they've pasted in text from AllMusic or somehthing, which makes sense as it was a concept. Anyway - thanks for the post! ;)