Madonna Tops Forbes 2013 List Of The Top-Earning Celebrities

lasky

As along as people know M is on top.. its all that matters

Right....despite their dig about her "flop album"...people are going to walk away knowing that, as always, M is making bank. That is one solid reputation that M has with the general public, she may be of no interest and relevance to a lot of people, but they certainly know of her as a very powerful, very wealthy, and very successful celebrity force.

Right....despite their dig about her "flop album"...people are going to walk away knowing that, as always, M is making bank. That is one solid reputation that M has with the general public, she may be of no interest and relevance to a lot of people, but they certainly know of her as a very powerful, very wealthy, and very successful celebrity force.

I think you'd be surprised. I don't think people generally don't focus much on her wealth, which I'm sure she's happy about.

Yes her album didn't do GANGBUSTER business, but wasn't it like the 11th best selling album in the world in 2012 or around that?

Not bad for a woman 30 years into her career who didn't really give the album an ounce of promotion.

Yes her album didn't do GANGBUSTER business, but wasn't it like the 11th best selling album in the world in 2012 or around that?

Not bad for a woman 30 years into her career who didn't really give the album an ounce of promotion.

True....but....there was the Super Bowl lol.

Guest bluejean

I know, it never ceases to amaze me just how many people believe everything they see on the gossip sections on tv and what they read in magazines and newspapers.

It was The Morning Show. I just saw it again and there was talk about "How much skin should a woman show." And they got onto the topic of age and Gwenyth Paltrow, if it's appropriate blah di blah. And Madonna got afew mentions with the name Lady Gaga thrown afterward. Then the guy says at the end "By the way, Madonna is now back in top and tails" :chuckle:

They didn't really say anything negative about her this time. I mean lets face it, she is STILL being talked about as often if not more than current stars. That's the important thing isn't it?

True....but....there was the Super Bowl lol.

Which was promo for the single, not the album. MDNA wasn't mentioned once during the performance or before the performance via commercial or anything like that.

"Less than 1 million copies" is still hugely successful for an album these days, especially for a 30 year veteran.

They probably refer to MDNA's US figure. Another sign of how serious a publication Forbes is. If you intend to talk about how much the record sold, just make sure to report the ACTUAL figure because MDNA didn't sell less than a million copies. It sold almost 2. It's too much to take for Forbes having Madonna top their list and not starting the relative article with some negative false remark or back-handed compliment at best if she's lucky.

Per the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry http://www.ifpi.org/ MDNA sold 1.8m copies worldwide and it was the 12th best-selling record of the year. Universal's 6th best-selling release of 2012. Hardly a flop for an album that wasn't even properly promoted from somebody in her 30th year of career

A 10 year old kid could have written a more professional article using Google

By the way I wasn't aware that Lucky Star was part of the tour's setlist :rotfl:

ifpi.png

Fans didn’t flock to stadium and spend upwards of $100 per ticket to hear Madonna’s latest stuff. They went to hear hits like “Vogue,” “Like a Virgin” and “Lucky Star.”

:rotfl:

That's why the tour featured 10 songs from MDNA, 2 songs from 2009, 1 from 2008 over a total of 23 numbers

Which is the standard ratio in the Madonna studio album/tour combo since always

Never mind that Lucky Star wasn't even on the tour :rolleyes:

And she probably makes $100k a year writing this poorly

If Forbes only quoted the US sales number for MDNA I wonder if her guestimated income of 125 million is a US number only. What about worldwide? If not, just another case to show how selective Forbes is.

Anyway, why do we still bother? We know that Forbes holds a grudge towards Madonna and has proven this over and over again by writing stories diminishing her achievements. In 1990 they called her Americas Smartest Businesswoman and now 23 years later (30 years into her career, a career in the a oh so fickle entertainment idustry, which is a HUGE feet on its own that I dare to say only a handful of people have achieved, people that where not only around for 30 years, no, people who were on the very top of the game for this long) they try to ignore her when it comes to the records she has set and only publish stories when there is something negative to report. Like the 2nd week drop of MDNA on the Billboard charts. An article written by Roger Friedman, who is a known Madonna hater for selfish reasons that has been discussed already. Or their desperate intervention when some media outlet said she became a billionaire. Therefore it makes perferct sense that Forbes had to start this article with something negative. In the end, we should always remember what Madonnas reaction to aforementioned 1990 article was: "Forbes knows shit". I sure Madonna really doesn't care and is laughing at Forbes all the way to the bank.

Him being here is only going to get more and more embarrassing as Lady Gaga becomes more and more irrelevant.

Speaking of, on some morning news program here the "reporter" said how surprising it was that Madonna topped the list and "I'm sure Lady Gaga will surpass her someday. It's all because Madonna has a big catalogue of hits, Lady Gaga will reach that point eventually."

It's actually outrageous how little credit they give Madonna these days. 5 years verses 30 years and they're talking as if Gaga has it in the bag. What the fuck.

How pathetic and biased... The Gaga ass-kissing just can't stop right? You can tell Madonna's success over 3 decades made a lot of people VERY bitter for some reason.

If Forbes only quoted the US sales number for MDNA I wonder if her guestimated income of 125 million is a US number only.

What about worldwide? If not, just another case to show how selective Forbes is

Well that actually wouldn't make much of a difference since whatever the actual figures are we know that record sales for any artist, not just Madonna, contribute minimally to how much they rake in annually. The point is if you're a serious business publication you can't have a report about what a celebrity has made in a year and start the article in such a misleading way, since there is clearly a difference between an album having sold less than a million copies and an album that has actually sold almost 2m when the top sellers post 2010 sell 3m-4m max globally (Adele, a then novelty, the exception between 2011-2012)

That alone leaves the article devoid of any actual credibility

Getting the songs wrong was another hilarious low point

If we are to focus on the $125m figure alone, without considering the stupidity of the premise of the article, things wouldn't still add up. Terms of the 2007 LN deal specify that Madonna retains 90% of all net gross. The tour had a production cost of $100m so u do the math. Add to that the sold out Truth or Dare clothing range and all the rest and she's made way more than the figure piss poor Forbes has come up with

^ Since they wanted to touch the subject of record sales they should have written MDNA sold 1.8m copies worldwide. In the US it scanned 500k copies. It was the 12th most bought album of the year worldwide. Or just shut up about it since her record sold less than a million copies is an evident falsehood

And written like that, anyone who doesn't follow charts gets the idea that she actually sold less than 1m copies worldwide. It's clear that it is utterly irrelevant since record sales contribute but for a fraction to any big name act. The point is they have to diminish her touring success and her stature and success generally. by printing something which isn't true.

And I love how they go out of their way to point out that if that other singer didn't break a hip she would have made a lot more money :rotfl: When in fact it was all but a big PR damage control label/Live Nation operation to conceal the fact that 1. she wasn't fit enough to carry on the tour and 2. that her US sales were sluggish at best plus the whole South American fiasco and the downsizing of some of the venues in Europe