Classic Pop magazine: best 12´´ of the eighties

promise to try

Angel:the MG isn´t known or loved for her 80s 12´´ mixes.the 90s and the noughties were kinder to her, due to the advent of the guest remixer, but, in the eighties, it was generally the job of the people whio made the original records to make the 12´´, and madonna´s 7´´s werent all classics by any means. Nile rodgers´s six minute extended dance remix of Angek was an exception, not least for its crowd chanting "madonna!" across a fake live breakdown (number 26)

Causing a commotion.Madonna may have airbrushed this single from the history books but we are here to credit Shep Pettibone´s

Movie house mix for being pivotal to her career.It was the 12´´ that took madonna from pop music to house music, from mid eihgties

posing to late-eighties voguing; the remix that remembered the melody from Into the groove while predating the rhythms of Express

yourself. It was like the best of madonna in one ten minute track (number 15)

Angel:the MG isn´t known or loved for her 80s 12´´ mixes.the 90s and the noughties were kinder to her, due to the advent of the guest remixer, but, in the eighties, it was generally the job of the people whio made the original records to make the 12´´, and madonna´s 7´´s werent all classics by any means. Nile rodgers´s six minute extended dance remix of Angek was an exception, not least for its crowd chanting "madonna!" across a fake live breakdown (number 26)

Is this from an article?

Borderline and Like A Virgin are great extended mixes as is Open Your Heart in all its glorious ten minutes. The 80s extended versions were great and I know many people have said how they miss just a normal extended mix of a song. I liked Angel and DYU too. I was disappointed that ITG wasn't extended though in its original form.

I suppose CAC was the start of a proper remix for the dance scene of the time but LAP Dance Mix is the remix that is recognised as Madonna moving into the club scene even though it's where she started.

What in the hell is the author of this piece on?

She had so many essential 12" releases in the '80s and I believe "Papa Don't Preach" and "Angel" are the only ones not remixed by a, erm, 'guest remixer'. "Open Your Heart" by Thomspon & Barbiero... "Lucky Star" by Jellybean... "Express Yourself" by Shep Pettibone and two sets of "Like A Prayer" mixes by both Pettibone and Bill Bottrell. Not to mention some of the reworkings on the You Can Dance EP.

The best 12" is Everybody, it has that classic club 12" vibe...

I like OYH & BU, but in general her pop 12" extended mixes r cheesy, & some of the weakest shit I ever heard.

Angel

Dress You Up

&

Gambler r a fucking joke.

It's the 7" or nothing imo.

The best 12" is Everybody, it has that classic club 12" vibe...

I like OYH & BU, but in general her pop 12" extended mixes r cheesy, & some of the weakest shit I ever heard.

Angel

Dress You Up

&

Gambler r a fucking joke.

It's the 7" or nothing imo.

Makes sense as the 12" releases of "Everybody" and "Burning Up" were the original master recordings anyway (later edited and remixed for different territories and her debut LP).

Depeche Mode and New Order were great but other than Prince, I can't really think of anyone better (plenty on par with, but none better) than Madonna with their singles output during the 1980s.

PS- It's criminal that Warner Bros. has slept on throwing together a Prince Singles Boxed Set though I doubt he'd fucking go for it anyway.