Pitch-adjusting on MDNA?

Bill

A Facebook friend posted a link to this video. The claim is that her pitch was adjusted higher on GGW, GMAYL, and TUTR... I've heard about this before, on Like a Virgin. I can hear and understand it more, back then, but here, I don't know... Couldn't she have just been singing in a higher pitch? Both voices sound like her natural voice, to me. What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL5R0N4ybcY

All three songs sound a little better with the pitch lowered imo. The person who made that video is right, it does sound more like the M we know. However, on the original versions I think M was just singing in a higher register, not pitch corrected in post production.

Guest SecretGarden

Hmmm. I actually disagree with that video, in fact all of the "deeper" versions sound far less natural. People forget that the deep Madonna voice from her pre-Evita days is basically gone, she has quite a high voice now with a very nasal tone, very reminiscent of her debut days.

Now, there was obviously some correction going on with the vocals on MDNA (as with the majority of studio albums) but pitching up her vocals? For the most part, I don't think so.

Hmmm. I actually disagree with that video, in fact all of the "deeper" versions sound far less natural.

Definitely. If they WERE pitched up its by a semitone max. Oh and Madonnas range covers that higher pitch so she wouldn't need to have her vocals pitchshifted.

You could clearly see which ones were going to be the singles. The other highpitched one was Superstar, and voila, almost a single.

That's to do with tempo and key, nothing else. She reaches higher notes in Love spent too...

She has a little girl voice and she has highpitched songs. If you can't hear the difference, it's up to you. LAV was high pitched and it's very different to other moments where she makes the girlie voice (for example Crazy for You).

Guest SecretGarden

She has a little girl voice and she has highpitched songs. If you can't hear the difference, it's up to you. LAV was high pitched and it's very different to other moments where she makes the girlie voice (for example Crazy for You).

I don't understand. Watch Like a Virgin at the MTV awards and it basically sounds on par in pitch to the studio version. Heck I just viewed some TUTR performances and sound checks on youtube and they almost all sounded just as high in pitch as the studio version (with one or two being a semitone lower). The fact of the matter is, she can sing in that octave range, so why would they need to fake it.

Actually I'm sure Beatswithin heard from the horses mouth that this was a fallacy.

I didn't really think of it while listening to Hard Candy and MDNA because I didn't notice it that much because she and the engineers do such a good job of covering it up.

For example, It's not the case where pitch shifting is used to a noticeable degree like the on Mariah's E=MC2 and Memoirs albums where Mariah is deliberately pitch shifting a lower octave register to make us think she can still hit those notes and doubling or layering her vocals to make her thin voice sound richer.

Guest SecretGarden
As with most of the vocals on MDNA, there is obviously some correction here - Melodyne (vocal correction software) was probably used here as with the other songs on MDNA but the vocals aren't necessarily pitched up, just polished up and flat notes are corrected. In my opinion.

As with most of the vocals on MDNA, there is obviously some correction here - Melodyne (vocal correction software) was probably used here as with the other songs on MDNA but the vocals aren't necessarily pitched up, just polished up and flat notes are corrected. In my opinion.

THIS.

I swear the shit people come up with on the internet.

Guest bluejean

The thing is, if you change the pitch by a semitone or even a tone either way it's going to sound like the persons voice because that is still within their range. So this "evidence" doesn't prove anything. And the 'Like a Virgin' thing was said to be false wasn't it?

If the intent of this theory is to prove Madonna's voice is "fake" or that she can't sing her own songs its a massive fail.

Guest bluejean

Yes. My thoughts exactly.

Guest bluejean

I swear the shit people come up with on the internet.

Desperate for attention

Like those arseholes that come up with fake demos/leaks. I mean it's just sad

I don't think it's a fake voice, but GGW GMAWL TUTR and Superstar have the same voice, while the other songs have another one. And it's a voice i have never heard before in a Madonna album. Maybe is that Melodyne (i love the name, hahahahaha)

I don't see why they would pitch up the vocals to the extent of the original video considering its well within Madonna's range to sing that high.

No. This isn't the original (unedited) recording. Somebody has filtered the layers from the record leaving only the vocal layers. That's why you still hear the processed vocals etc, etc. Madonna actually doesn't really use autotune but instead utilises specific recording conditions and effects. You even hear her sing 'sharp' sometimes. She's very clever leaving her breath on songs at times and not making herself sound plastic. Considering its electronic music her vocal texture stays relatively intact.

I don't think it's a fake voice, but GGW GMAWL TUTR and Superstar have the same voice, while the other songs have another one. And it's a voice i have never heard before in a Madonna album. Maybe is that Melodyne (i love the name, hahahahaha)

:doh: It's called a vocal REGISTER. She sings higher than those songs on the American life album. What kind of fan are you?

Guest bluejean

No it's not. I know what melodyne sounds like when it's obvious. And that isn't it.