During and After: How Complete was each era?

cjc

I always get the impression that all her era's do not fully complete, only because Madonna is always in a rush to move on, very impatient- which is not necessarily a bad thing. True blue era feels most completed, followed by Ray of light ( which I actually think dragged on too long- never ending:)

I remember it very differently. I remember the poll that Warners conducted asking our choice for a 4th single that was easily won by Impressive Instant which was then ignored and we heard that Amazing was the next single. Then Amazing never appeared on the tour and we knew no more singles from Music. At the time it was surprising to only have 3 singles from a studio albums. All of her previous studio albums had had at least 5 international singles barring Bedtime Stories. Also when the Music album was released Warners said it being targeted at the 2000 and 2001 Christmas market and there would be 5 singles excluding American Pie.

I'm not saying that it was expected that we'd only get three singles -- just that we didn't seem to dwell on it for very long. I feel like I've discussed "II"'s potential single release more frequently post-2001 than I did in 2001.

Maybe I'm just misremembering things, but I feel like we were all like "Only three? That's too bad. NEXT!" and then got on with queening out about how magnificent the tour was.

The whole era still feels very complete to me, even 12 years later.

I may be mistaken, but didn't Madonna say somewhere around 2008/9 that she will probably never make anymore "big" music videos such as were filmed in the past. The reason being, I'm assuming, for financing reasons. This may explain why she goes on tour so quickly now - you know, before the hype wears down. People are suggesting that the last two eras didn't seem complete so maybe this is why.

I remember thinking: without the music video there is no madonna. But, thankfully, the MDNA Tour turned out to basically be a giant life-size music video!

Having said that: I do wish that there was something more to the MDNA Era to satiate me. I thought that the surprise appearance at the Ultra Music Festival was genius.

I'm not saying that it was expected that we'd only get three singles -- just that we didn't seem to dwell on it for very long. I feel like I've discussed "II"'s potential single release more frequently post-2001 than I did in 2001.

Maybe I'm just misremembering things, but I feel like we were all like "Only three? That's too bad. NEXT!" and then got on with queening out about how magnificent the tour was.

The whole era still feels very complete to me, even 12 years later.

Possibly the lack of new material on GHV2 overshadowed the lack of a 4th single from Music.

I remember it very differently. I remember the poll that Warners conducted asking our choice for a 4th single that was easily won by Impressive Instant which was then ignored and we heard that Amazing was the next single. Then Amazing never appeared on the tour and we knew no more singles from Music. At the time it was surprising to only have 3 singles from a studio albums. All of her previous studio albums had had at least 5 international singles barring Bedtime Stories. Also when the Music album was released Warners said it being targeted at the 2000 and 2001 Christmas market and there would be 5 singles excluding American Pie.

Yes, exactly. This was at the time when the internet was very new and the fact that Warner's did a poll was amazing. It was the first time as fans we had a say in a single. Then they ignored the result even though promos had been made of remixes and instead pressed some Amazing promos but then that single was dropped too. Then GHV2 came along with just a little megamix and Madonna clearly wasn't into it with no new tracks. So, it felt incomplete just because we know there was the intention to release the fourth single but then it was shelved and there was nothing new until DAD a couple of years later.

I may be mistaken, but didn't Madonna say somewhere around 2008/9 that she will probably never make anymore "big" music videos such as were filmed in the past. The reason being, I'm assuming, for financing reasons. This may explain why she goes on tour so quickly now - you know, before the hype wears down. People are suggesting that the last two eras didn't seem complete so maybe this is why.

I remember thinking: without the music video there is no madonna. But, thankfully, the MDNA Tour turned out to basically be a giant life-size music video!

Having said that: I do wish that there was something more to the MDNA Era to satiate me. I thought that the surprise appearance at the Ultra Music Festival was genius.

apparently GMAYL costed 1,5 mi (at least i remember reading about it) and lets be honest , there will always be budget for M

Yes, exactly. This was at the time when the internet was very new and the fact that Warner's did a poll was amazing. It was the first time as fans we had a say in a single. Then they ignored the result even though promos had been made of remixes and instead pressed some Amazing promos but then that single was dropped too. Then GHV2 came along with just a little megamix and Madonna clearly wasn't into it with no new tracks. So, it felt incomplete just because we know there was the intention to release the fourth single but then it was shelved and there was nothing new until DAD a couple of years later.

Yes, As a long term Madonna fan I think 2001 was the most disappointing year for me. She started the year the most popular pop star on the planet. As popular and great an album Ray Of Light had been it had taken a little while for a new generation to become full time Madonna fans. 2000 had seen a massive international hit with American Pie then popular and critical success with the Music album and the Music and Don't Tell Me singles. Add in the Promo Tour, giving birth to Rocco and her wedding the year 2000 proved to be a very popular year for Madonna worldwide but especially in the UK. Then we got the ignored WIFLFAG, a tour which was successful but was only really seen by the hard core fans and the unexciting GHV2.

Imagine::

July 2001, Impressive Instant is released. Okay may not have been a number one smash but could have been a reasonable hit worldwide, say number 3 in the UK.

October 2001, New song for GHV2 released. Worldwide number 1 hit fuelling GHV2 to number 1.

October 2002/ March 2003, Given the high profile of 2001 the whole American Life Project is much better received.

Yes, As a long term Madonna fan I think 2001 was the most disappointing year for me. She started the year the most popular pop star on the planet. As popular and great an album Ray Of Light had been it had taken a little while for a new generation to become full time Madonna fans. 2000 had seen a massive international hit with American Pie then popular and critical success with the Music album and the Music and Don't Tell Me singles. Add in the Promo Tour, giving birth to Rocco and her wedding the year 2000 proved to be a very popular year for Madonna worldwide but especially in the UK. Then we got the ignored WIFLFAG, a tour which was successful but was only really seen by the hard core fans and the unexciting GHV2.

Imagine::

July 2001, Impressive Instant is released. Okay may not have been a number one smash but could have been a reasonable hit worldwide, say number 3 in the UK.

October 2001, New song for GHV2 released. Worldwide number 1 hit fuelling GHV2 to number 1.

October 2002/ March 2003, Given the high profile of 2001 the whole American Life Project is much better received.

Would this you like Madonna/her work any more? I don't see how. You all need to get jobs in music PR.

apparently GMAYL costed 1,5 mi (at least i remember reading about it) and lets be honest , there will always be budget for M

I don't care what anyone says; GMAYL was basically a commercial for the NFL so it doesn't count in my book as a real music video. Sorry, arrest me!

Hard Candy - I feel like it relied too much on 4 Minutes with JT and that's all people really remember about it. Give It 2 Me failed to pick up any momentum which doomed Miles Away (awful single choice anyway, really should have been Beat Goes On, maybe even Heartbeat). I think the promo was alright, but the releases just weren't catching on. Aside from the fact that the Celebration video was awful, the fact that they used the BB remix and not the album version (I'm not really fond of the BB remix anyway) doomed Revolver, which could have probably done well with Lil Wayne and a good video.

Everything looked promising for the MDNA era - lots of anticipation, beautiful and interesting theme - but MDNA was hyped up too much with the Superbowl. I feel like the only reason GMAYL charted the way it did was because of the Superbowl, and I think the reason it fell off of radio so quickly was also for that reason (it was "The new Madonna song that she sang at the Superbowl" and not "Madonna's new single," thus once talk of the Superbowl had died down, so did the single) Perhaps if she performed GGW at the Superbowl too it may have been like a little album preview and paved the way for GGW as a follow up (the video was definitely up to par - very single worthy). Again, the timing with the tour was just awful. A Facebook chat with Jimmy Fallon and her using Twitter for a day was not nearly enough promo to last until the end of the year.

Madonna has put herself in the public spotlight more this year than she ever did last year (granted, some of these appearances due to MDNA Tour's success and Secret Project) and even though people are making fun of her grillz and her other Instagram stuff, they're also talking about her Boy Scouts and MET Gala outfits. I feel like she disappeared off the face of the earth after the end of HC era and never came back until MDNA - I still feel like she exists following the end of the MDNA era. Her and Guy really need to get their promo and scheduling figured out if they want an era with good charts and consistent sales.

^ And the reason you can't do all that in advance, which includes shelling out all the money to shoot the videos, is that things change. The album could have sold 50K the first week and fell off the charts within a month (I'm exaggerating to make the point), at which point Interscope would have said "We're done. We can't put any more money into this," OR a positive thing could have happened, like GMAYL becoming a huge #1 smash, after which the label might want to recreate that success by releasing something similar (like "Superstar") rather than GGW.

I never thought I'd hear GMAYL and #1 smash in the same sentence lol I get your point though