10th Anniversary of Madonna 2003 VMAs

Camacho

Okay here it is.

She's basically commenting on her relationship with the world for the twenty years before that performance. That's the superficial element so in relation to that you see her now dressed as the groom. Obviously Madonna loves gender play so I'm sure she enjoyed that concept. The basic comment there is that she's now in control, the dominant character; a self celebration. However, that's the basic bitch level of the performance.

Hollywood (song) is about the politics of fame and all the illusions that go with it. So she chose Britney to portray that youthful expression of the Hollywood dream. Who better at the time? Britney (and whoretina) obviously begin by singing LAV which happens to be the first ever performance from Madonna on MTV. The song is about naivety, youth, sex, lust, and desire. The encapsulation of a Hollywood wannabe.

Notice that on the arrival of Madonna (the groom) the two brides look shocked and excited. She flirts with them, she kisses them and she dances with them. All the time she remains the dominant character which as I said is expressed physically by the grooms costume. This is Madonna saying that she's willing to play with fame but she won't let it overcome her. She survived the game and came out on top! She's the Don!

She was basically using Britney as a mannequin. If you watch the performance again you will notice that when she isn't performing the rehearsed routine she actually spends most of her time fondling Britney. She knew Britney was a modern sex symbol and exploited it. The closest she could come to dancing with her own 1983 self. It's very well coordinated that she kisses Britney after the 'How could it hurt you when it looks so good?' lyric. Madonna is a genius. It's basically her way of emasculating every industry dickhead that ever harassed her by 'becoming' one herself. Vulgar. I love it. Obviously Missy probably just wore a grooms outfit because she's a lesbian. :rotfl: Jokes.

It's kind of strange the public focused only on the kiss when Madonna portrayed marriage between same gendered people and without singular commitment. I mean, she was turning the whole thing on its head. In many ways she was saying FUCK ALL THAT YOU EVER EXPECTED FROM ME. FUCK WHAT I WAS. Which we know was the theme from AL. She could have come out and rehashed the original performance and threw confetti over the pop bitches and skipped across the stage. Instead she diminished it, criticised it and told people to wake the Fuck up 'Trip the station, change the channel'. Oh and I'm not sure who choreographed the performance but whoever did took a lot of queues from the lyrics which I assume Madonna particularly wanted. Watch what the girls do at 'shine your light now' etc, etc. Madonna passes judgement on them and forces them to show their assets after singing 'Everybody comes to Hollywood, they wanna make it in the neighbourhood'. It's actually quite unusual for Madonna to LITERALLY express her lyrics through dance so it was obviously a very conscious decision.

Okay here it is.

She's basically commenting on her relationship with the world for the twenty years before that performance. That's the superficial element so in relation to that you see her now dressed as the groom. Obviously Madonna loves gender play so I'm sure she enjoyed that concept. The basic comment there is that she's now in control, the dominant character; a self celebration. However, that's the basic bitch level of the performance.

Hollywood (song) is about the politics of fame and all the illusions that go with it. So she chose Britney to portray that youthful expression of the Hollywood dream. Who better at the time? Britney (and whoretina) obviously begin by singing LAV which happens to be the first ever performance from Madonna on MTV. The song is about naivety, youth, sex, lust, and desire. The encapsulation of a Hollywood wannabe.

Notice that on the arrival of Madonna (the groom) the two brides look shocked and excited. She flirts with them, she kisses them and she dances with them. All the time she remains the dominant character which as I said is expressed physically by the grooms costume. This is Madonna saying that she's willing to play with fame but she won't let it overcome her. She survived the game and came out on top! She's the Don!

She was basically using Britney as a mannequin. If you watch the performance again you will notice that when she isn't performing the rehearsed routine she actually spends most of her time fondling Britney. She knew Britney was a modern sex symbol and exploited it. The closest she could come to dancing with her own 1983 self. It's very well coordinated that she kisses Britney after the 'How could it hurt you when it looks so good?' lyric. Madonna is a genius. It's basically her way of emasculating every industry dickhead that ever harassed her by 'becoming' one herself. Vulgar. I love it. Obviously Missy probably just wore a grooms outfit because she's a lesbian. :rotfl: Jokes.

It's kind of strange the public focused only on the kiss when Madonna portrayed marriage between same gendered people and without singular commitment. I mean, she was turning the whole thing on its head. In many ways she was saying FUCK ALL THAT YOU EVER EXPECTED FROM ME. FUCK WHAT I WAS. Which we know was the theme from AL. She could have come out and rehashed the original performance and threw confetti over the pop bitches and skipped across the stage. Instead she diminished it, criticised it and told people to wake the Fuck up 'Trip the station, change the channel'. Oh and I'm not sure who choreographed the performance but whoever did took a lot of queues from the lyrics which I assume Madonna particularly wanted. Watch what the girls do at 'shine your light now' etc, etc. Madonna passes judgement on them and forces them to show their assets after singing 'Everybody comes to Hollywood, they wanna make it in the neighbourhood'. It's actually quite unusual for Madonna to LITERALLY express her lyrics through dance so it was obviously a very conscious decision.

:headbang:

Not only is that performance iconic but every time the camera switches to an audience member it is ICONIC. Mya clapping, the slow clap from Eminem when he realizes M will appear on the stage any moment, Paris and Nicky dancing, Justin raising his eyebrows, the Queer guys having so much fun, the Queer guys dying when M comes on stage, the fucked off look from Justin after this kiss, 50 cent digging everything, Snoop Dogg pissing himself etc etc just TOO GOOD

Oh yes that's a good one. Doesn't it cut to her later and she's laughing? I feel like I have watched this video hundreds of times over my lifetime.

When I was 12 I downloaded it on kazaa on dial up and it took like 5 days hahaha

Not only is that performance iconic but every time the camera switches to an audience member it is ICONIC. Mya clapping, the slow clap from Eminem when he realizes M will appear on the stage any moment, Paris and Nicky dancing, Justin raising his eyebrows, the Queer guys having so much fun, the Queer guys dying when M comes on stage, the fucked off look from Justin after this kiss, 50 cent digging everything, Snoop Dogg pissing himself etc etc just TOO GOOD

I agree. The whole broadcast was iconic. I loved every minute. It was hilarious and provocative (not to me, to this tight-ass country). My only gripe is that I wish Xtina's kiss would've been shown a bit more (although Madonna probably wasn't as into her as she was Britney who got the tongue).

Oh yes that's a good one. Doesn't it cut to her later and she's laughing? I feel like I have watched this video hundreds of times over my lifetime.

When I was 12 I downloaded it on kazaa on dial up and it took like 5 days hahaha

Omg I DID THE SAME! :lmao::wow: I remember kazaa :rotfl:

I have to say I'm pretty sure Em thought the performance was over and that's why he was clapping.

I know the Mya clap is ICONIC, but I'm really starting to love Paris Hiltons little girl-mental patient dance. "Is this a new song? I've never heard it!"

My husband/partner/littlebabyjesus and I were in a weird space in our lives and I remember a delirious late night conversation during the American Life backlash. My exact words in August of 2003... "if she would just fucking tongue-kiss Britney Spears on national TV..."

Less than a week later the VMA's happened! It didn't turn around the fortunes of the AL project but it sure as hell kept her name in the headlines and remains a defining pop "moment" a decade later. :)

My husband/partner/littlebabyjesus and I were in a weird space in our lives and I remember a delirious late night conversation during the American Life backlash. My exact words in August of 2003... "if she would just fucking tongue-kiss Britney Spears on national TV..."

Less than a week later the VMA's happened! It didn't turn around the fortunes of the AL project but it sure as hell kept her name in the headlines and remains a defining pop "moment" a decade later. :)

But inquiring minds want to know, Mattress ... did it change your hubby's opinion of Madonna? Did the moment take your relationship out of the weird space and into a new chapter of love and bliss? :1251: Tell us, do!

This was refreshing to see as otherwise she was in peak Esther mode.

"The KIss" was an unavoidable topic for a couple weeks there. Just to think.....2 weeks later she'd be on Oprah plugging The English Roses.