Great article about Bedtime Stories overlooked at the Grammys

lasky

Bedtime Stories deserves more recognition. Not that the Grammys are worth a shit, but still. This album should have easily scored a total of like 5-6 nominations. (for the videos, vocal performances, AOTY, songwriting). Also, couldn't she have competed in the RNB categories as well?

Underrated as usual.

Guest Not4Pussies

take a bow deserved a record of the year nomination and best female pop vocal performance as well

and why didnt they submit Music for best dance recording that year? she couldve taken that grammy instead of going home empty handed

The best reward is having your song played on the radio and Madonna has tons of songs on the radio unlike other multiple winners that you just never listen to again.

Guest bluejean

take a bow deserved a record of the year nomination and best female pop vocal performance as well

and why didnt they submit Music for best dance recording that year? she couldve taken that grammy instead of going home empty handed

Because they wanted to increase its chances of being nominated/winning in the major categories

Guest bluejean

IT'S OFFICIAL

i'm creating my own award show!!!

NOMINATIONS FOR KESHA AND MADONNA ALL AROUND!!!

Kesha for best pop computerized vocal?

Kesha for best pop computerized vocal?

album of the year

song of the year

artist of the year

best legendary album of the year

lyrics of the year

glitter of the year

I don't think Diana Ross has a grammy either which is absurd to me. I think it has a little to do with luck as well as well as catering to what is hot.

Madonna had a lot of formidable opponents and then others might have had little competition when they won.

I still remember Madonna's Vogue losing to Sinead O'Connor's Nothing Compare's 2U video. I was so mad but even then I knew it was an amazing video.

Guest SecretGarden

Who takes the Grammys seriously anymore, certainly not me.

Anyway I think Bedtime Stories is a generally under appreciated album, to me it contains some of her best lyrics and melodies. It's the yang to Erotica's yin, it's the feminem to Erotica's masculinity, it's the light to Erotica's darkness etc

It also was ahead of the curb with the title track, while the other pop stars were creating house inspired music (something Madonna did years before with Vogue) or just catching up to the RnB trend, Madonna, with the help of Bjork, crafted an absolute fresh, timeless and esoteric masterpiece with Bedtime Story. To me, that song alone, beat any of the Grammy winners that year (and for years to come).

They submitted "Music" in the Pop Vocal category rather than the Dance category (recordings can only be nominated in one genre specific category). They did the same for "Hung Up", but it missed out. From memory, they didn't even bother submitting "Masterpiece" for the film/TV category last year, which was bizarre.

Wasn't she nominated in 85/86 for Crazy for You?

Yes, she was competing against Whitney and of course she didn't win. Whitney was a such a Grammys darling that Madonna simply had no chance. In 86 Madonna was very very popular and they may still felt her "safe" for a nomination during that time, but then she shocked the world with LAP with a increasily sexual image and religion controversy causing the Grammys exclude her for any more nominations. By 89 onwards she basically wasn't illegible for the Grammys, until they felt she was "safe" again in 98.

They submitted "Music" in the Pop Vocal category rather than the Dance category (recordings can only be nominated in one genre specific category). They did the same for "Hung Up", but it missed out. From memory, they didn't even bother submitting "Masterpiece" for the film/TV category last year, which was bizarre.

And it LOST to Steely Dan of all ridiculous selections. I mean no disrespect to Steely Dan, but ... that is not properly categorized as "pop." And after Madonna opened their broadcast with "Music" the #1 song from her #1 album -- that was just such a smack in the face.

/rantover

Lark- that was the VMAs, not Grammys. :)

The ignoring of M in the major categories boils down to the organization nominating and awarding safe, commercial acts and material. And even in categories like Pop Vocal-Female- yeah, ishe was nominated a couple of times, but then in 1989, Paula Abdul was nominated for "Straight Up," and M wasn't for "Like a Prayer." Bizarre.

The ignoring of M in the major categories boils down to the organization nominating and awarding safe, commercial acts and material. And even in categories like Pop Vocal-Female- yeah, ishe was nominated a couple of times, but then in 1989, Paula Abdul was nominated for "Straight Up," and M wasn't for "Like a Prayer." Bizarre.

Surprised about Take A Bow as it was so popular, LAP is guess was bizarre but as you say, it's about playing it safe

Oh I know. I was just bringing up an example of another award where she faced strong competition. I should have mentioned what award it was since the discussion is about the grammys.

I'm extremely surprised about Madonna not being nominated for Like A Prayer. No wonder I never took the grammys very seriously.

Not that they are relevant at all (although they can inflate sales a bit) but the Brit Awards continually ignored Madonna until it became embarrassing. She eventually won best international female after ROL I think. I think even Eddie Reader won it one year instead.