Great article about Bedtime Stories overlooked at the Grammys

lasky

Guest Rachelle of London

Madonna should win a Grammy for every album she has ever released, she is one of very few artists that has consistently delivered top notch solid albums every single time. Its so annoying when M doesnt get the recognition she deserves

one single nomination for BS really do not do justice to the entire albums and songs... at the very least, it should also garner the nominations for record, song, pop/r&B vocals, music video for Take A Bow... Liz was correct, denied the song they did...

The Shammy's have little to do with artistry and excellence. The Shammy's are like People Magazine's annual Beautiful People list. Awards usually going to whoever is currently the redhot America's sweetheart crap.

Secret is and always will be one of my fav Madonna's songs . And I love all the vdos from this album.

At this point, it seems like a greater honor to NOT be nominated by this industry-stacked shit house boys club.

Who will remember the name of the LP that won Best Album of the Year in 1979 without Google? Then ask, "Who was the biggest female recording artist that paved the way for more generations in the past 100 years?"

Some things just don't have awards. They become part of the cultural canon. Frankly, I am glad she has the latter.

At this point, it seems like a greater honor to NOT be nominated by this industry-stacked shit house boys club.

Who will remember the name of the LP that won Best Album of the Year in 1979 without Google? Then ask, "Who was the biggest female recording artist that paved the way for more generations in the past 100 years?"

Some things just don't have awards. They become part of the cultural canon. Frankly, I am glad she has the latter.

:clap:

Those awards are a joke. Not to mention those MTV ones, that are simply bought by record companies (remember Britney's Blakout awards with the MTV? Just her her record company trying to make her a star again. Of course, poor Britney was so stoned with antidepressives that she couldn't play the game). Most important artists don't have many Grammys

I'm not sure for Bedtime Stories but she didn't won any Grammy for Like a Prayer, THAT was a real joke.

And let's not forget that Queen didn't won any Grammy either. I mean how can a band who did a song like Bohemian Rhapsody NOT win a Grammy? And as Cody said, Beyonce got more than 17 Grammys. She's talented but NOT deserving of so many Grammys. The awards are such a joke.

I'm not sure for Bedtime Stories but she didn't won any Grammy for Like a Prayer, THAT was a real joke.

And let's not forget that Queen didn't won any Grammy either. I mean how can a band who did a song like Bohemian Rhapsody NOT win a Grammy? And as Cody said, Beyonce got more than 17 Grammys. She's talented but NOT deserving of so many Grammys. The awards are such a joke.

17, really? Wow! That really does say a lot about that award.

Guest bluejean

I don't think Prince won many Grammys did he? And haven't Backstreet Boys, Justin Bieber and Britney Spears won awards? I mean really

And I seem to recall Who Let The Dogs Out winning an award

I don't think Prince won many Grammys did he? And haven't Backstreet Boys, Justin Bieber and Britney Spears won awards? I mean really

And I seem to recall Who Let The Dogs Out winning an award

If that's the company she's in, then fewer Grammys she wins, the better :lol:

I think it had a lot to do with her public profile and the perception of her at the time. Let's bear in mind that when Bedtime Stories was released, she was still considered a slut no matter how many weeks at number one Take a Bow spent. Had she not done the SEX book you bet she would have been nominated across the board. Just look at how things turned around in 1999 for her once her image had become safer and she had gained some respectability.

More Importantly, did anyone find it weird that BS was nominated in 1996 and not 1995. WTF was up with that? A full 18 months after release. Why not a 1995 nomination?

Was she nominated for any AMA's the year she performed TAB?

Guest bluejean

It's because Bedtime Stories was released after the cut off point for 1995. Which is probably another reason why it was snubbed.

And as pointed out, MJ was nominated for Album of the year and he had a public image of being a pedophile. So I'm not sure I buy that excuse. I honestly think it's about musical credibility. Madonna wasn't taken as a serious artist/vocalist until Ray of Light. But I also think the Grammys started to get more desperate to after that with their Backstreet Boys/Britney nominations etc.

I think it had a lot to do with her public profile and the perception of her at the time. Let's bear in mind that when Bedtime Stories was released, she was still considered a slut no matter how many weeks at number one Take a Bow spent. Had she not done the SEX book you bet she would have been nominated across the board. Just look at how things turned around in 1999 for her once her image had become safer and she had gained some respectability.

More Importantly, did anyone find it weird that BS was nominated in 1996 and not 1995. WTF was up with that? A full 18 months after release. Why not a 1995 nomination?

Was she nominated for any AMA's the year she performed TAB?

^ she was not nominated for any AMAs after 1992.... her next nomination in the 90s was in 1998 AMA's for the Evita OST but lost to Men in Black...somehow, she was never a favourite anymore after that time...

17, really? Wow! That really does say a lot about that award.

Yep, 17. Those days anyone can win a Grammy or be nominated. The fact that Gaga has been nominated for Album of the Year for EACH of her albums say a lot too.

LAP should have received multiple nominations (Album, Record, Song and Female Pop Vocal should have been shoo-ins). "Vogue" should have been up there, too. TAB was snubbed, as were "You'll See" and DCFMA. AL should have scored a nomination for something - it was way too ahead of its time for that, though. "Hung Up" and COADF should have been nominated for Record and Album.

I agree with Chell that every album that Madonna has released should have been nominated for something. It's annoying that the Dance categories are now restricted to "pure" dance artists - MDNA would have scored a nomination in that category for sure, under the old criteria.

Guest bluejean

She's had a fair few nominations, I think for Papa Don't Preach as well as afew other things. Maybe someone can post all her nominations?

Year

Nominated work

Award

Result

"Crazy for You"

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance

Nominated

"Papa Don't Preach"

Nominated

"Who's That Girl"

Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media

Nominated

"Oh Father"

Best Short Form Music Video

Nominated

Blond Ambition World Tour Live

Best Long Form Music Video

Won

"I'll Remember"

Nominated

The Girlie Show – Live Down Under

Nominated

Bedtime Stories

Best Pop Vocal Album

Nominated

Ray of Light

Album of the Year

Nominated

Best Pop Vocal Album

Won

"Ray of Light"

Best Dance Recording

Won

Won

Record of the Year

Nominated

"Beautiful Stranger"

Nominated

Won

Music

Best Pop Vocal Album

Nominated

"Music"

Nominated

Record of the Year

Nominated

"Don't Tell Me"

Nominated

"Die Another Day"

Best Dance Recording

Nominated

Nominated

Confessions on a Dance Floor

Best Electronic/Dance Album

Won

"Get Together"

Best Dance Recording

Nominated

I'm Going to Tell You a Secret

Nominated

The Confessions Tour

Won

"4 Minutes"

Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals

Nominated

"Give It 2 Me"

Best Dance Recording

Nominated

"Celebration"

Best Dance Recording

Nominated

Year Nominated work Award Result

"Crazy for You"

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance Nominated

"Papa Don't Preach"

"Who's That Girl"

Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media Nominated

"Oh Father"

Best Short Form Music Video Nominated

Blond Ambition World Tour Live

Best Long Form Music Video Won

1995 "I'll Remember" Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media Nominated

The Girlie Show – Live Down Under Best Long Form Music Video Nominated

Bedtime Stories

Best Pop Vocal Album Nominated

1999 Ray of Light

Album of the Year Nominated

Best Pop Vocal Album Won "Ray of Light"

Best Dance Recording Won

Best Short Form Music Video Won

Record of the Year Nominated

2000 "Beautiful Stranger"

Best Song Written for a Motion Picture, Television or Other Visual Media Won