MOTHER & FATHER

adreeyen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncvaPYTtbs

I have always worshipped this song for being the supreme artwork that it is, but I have developed a newly found appreciation for it in the past few weeks. It's a clear highlight on the terrific album that is American Life. It makes me feel so many emotions, especially the end of the track. I know a lot of fans take issue with the vocal, but it's clearly an artistic choice when she can obviously belt out the track like this

I ain't a RIT fan, but I'm glad it happened if only for this perf (with other album highlight Intervention). :inlove: Seriously, I've never been more impressed with her voice than in this performance. You also have this beaut

I wouldn't have minded an acoustic version of the track as a bonus on AL. Both a perfection.

The vocals, the production, the lyrics, the performances: 10/10

Guest Rachelle of London

I agree, it literally is a gem! I love the vocals on the album version, everything about this song is so perfect!

I have loved this since first hearing it. I was impressed and yes, techno yet emotional and vulnerable. The rap is cute too. And the RIT version is golden. I sometimes sing this in the shower and my mother would like "What I'm still alive?"

Believe it or not, GimmeSomeMo actually made me appreciate this song. For the longest time, I couldn't get past her 'singing voice' to really enjoy it, but now, its risen the ranks to one of my absolute favorites form the AL album. :wow: He actually did something right :lol:

sometimes when i listen to this song i change mother to father in my head.

it always gets to me.

Me too. I do the same with Promise To Try.

Guest bluejean

What is wrong with her voice? It suits the music

And yes, this was my favourite song on this album when it was out. Probably because it sounded like a real Madonna song compared to all that acoustic stuff. (Which I also liked, don't get me wrong.) It was a predecessor to Confessions.

Besides this song, "Intervention" is heavily overlooked as well IMO. Yeah, the "tree of life" lyrics are a bit cringe, but the melody in the refrain always gets me. It's a beautiful song.

I ain't a RIT fan, but I'm glad it happened if only for this perf (with other album highlight Intervention). :inlove: Seriously, I've never been more impressed with her voice than in this performance.

The vocals, the production, the lyrics, the performances: 10/10

Truer words have never been spoken :bow:

The "tree of life" lyrics are Nothing Fails, not Intervention

Ooops, I got the lyrics mixed up then. I did mean Intervention though and I remember there was something in its lyrics too that kinda made me think "Um, yeah right", but anyway, it's a great song nonetheless.

When the album came out, it was one of my least favorites. Her voice, in the beginning especially, just grated on my nerves. Now, I LOVE IT. I'm with you in that I recently re-discovered it. Man, the ending is just genius! And that "I got to give it up" hook is soooooo catchy!

What a gorgeous album that was. It's definitely in my Top 3.

To be honest, its the song that made me the biggest impression on first listen. I loved it. I still do. Its probably my fav song on AL (which is the lp I most dislike).

I love American Life the album, in fact i will listen to it later in the evening again. Mother and Father was good, but it could have been much better, the chorus is glorious when the rhythm starts, it's just like old school Madonna. I recall at the time, in the middle of the backslash, that i thought she should call Stephen Bray to do a remix, hahahaha

Guest bluejean

Oh yeah. Mother and Father DOES sound like a Madonna/Bray song doesn't it? I can so hear that.

Except he would have put a fabulous bridge in there in place of that awkward spoken part.

Oh yeah. Mother and Father DOES sound like a Madonna/Bray song doesn't it? I can so hear that.

Except he would have put a fabulous bridge in there in place of that awkward spoken part.

I really like the spoken part

"my mother died when i was five and all i did was sit and cry"

The bridge works with the song as it is, but the same melody with different words and different voice and 80s production could have easily have been in the WTG soundtrack.

I got to give it up... find somebody to loooooove :inlove:

I really like the spoken part

"my mother died when i was five and all i did was sit and cry"

"My father had to go to work I used to think he was a jerk"?

But I am here for the vocals, especially RIT.

The emotion in OH MOTHER OHHHH FATHER! Is flooring

I didn't know his heart was broken
Not another word was spoken
He became a shadow of
The father I was dreaming of

I made a vow that I would never need
Another person ever
Turned my heart into a cage
A victim of a kind of rage

:wow:

I think the "rap" is the integral center of the song. IMO I've always thought its both musically and lyrically akin to a nursery rhyme. A 45 year old woman revisiting her 5 year old self. Even the way the vocals at the end are tweaked to sound childlike "oh Mother, oh Father, I got to give it uuuuuuuup."

The American Life album may be as polarizing as Hard Candy amongst fans, but I've never NOT thought of it as anything but a beautiful recording of therapy sessions. Mother and Father in particular being the biggest paradox musically and lyrically.

I think the "rap" is the integral center of the song. IMO I've always thought its both musically and lyrically akin to a nursery rhyme. A 45 year old woman revisiting her 5 year old self. Even the way the vocals at the end are tweaked to sound childlike "oh Mother, oh Father, I got to give it uuuuuuuup."

The American Life album may be as polarizing as Hard Candy amongst fans, but I've never NOT thought of it as anything but a beautiful recording of therapy sessions. Mother and Father in particular being the biggest paradox musically and lyrically.

That's a wonderful way of looking at that and I can see that.