MadonnaNation.com Forums
drunkbysix

Drowned World Tour appreciation thread!

I would have pics from this tour, except for the fact that security took my camera. If I were to do it again, I would have refused to hand my camera over. The fuckers took it from me.

i was all about it at the time; but she's come out with better things since then its easy to over look :)

but definitely appreciated

highlights for me

impressive instant

candy perfume girl

paradise

what it feels like for a girl

human nature

you'll see

don't cry for me argentina

lo que siente la mujer

la isla bonita

music

Shite tour! There were a couple of great moments though like Holiday, Music, Paradise Interlude, Spanish version of WIFLFAG, WIFLFAG interlude , Candy Perfume Girl and Impressive Instant. Mer Girl, Frozen and Sky Fits Heaven were alright to but the rest was just dire.

I even know fans that had tickets for more than 2 shows but didn't bother going back after 2 because they just hated it.

My first Madonna show, I went to Milan and Paris. Amazing show, as acko said.

People saying it was shit and there were no hits don't have a clue. Every song was a hit, you don't probably understand/remember how huge Ray Of Light and Music were (at least in Europe) back then. I really didn't give a shit about her live 80s catalog in 2001.

The energy at the actual show was amazing.

Shite tour! There were a couple of great moments though like Holiday, Music, Paradise Interlude, Spanish version of WIFLFAG, WIFLFAG interlude , Candy Perfume Girl and Impressive Instant. Mer Girl, Frozen and Sky Fits Heaven were alright to but the rest was just dire.

I even know fans that has tickets for more than 2 shows but didn't bother going back after 2 because they just hated it.

:madno:

I admit it's not my favorite tour either but that's harsh. There are a few rough spots but overall it's pretty great.

:madno:

I admit it's not my favorite tour either but that's harsh. There are a few rough spots but overall it's pretty great.

At the end of the day, it's all about personal opinions. I have an absolutely soft spot for the Holiday performance though <3

My first Madonna show, I went to Milan and Paris. Amazing show, as acko said.

People saying it was shit and there were no hits don't have a clue. Every song was a hit, you don't probably understand/remember how huge Ray Of Light and Music were (at least in Europe) back then. I really didn't give a shit about her live 80s catalog in 2001.

The energy at the actual show was amazing.

:clap: It was INSANE.

Even Niki Haris commented on how wild the crowds were...(except London :chuckle:)

At the end of the day, it's all about personal opinions. I have an absolutely soft spot for the Holiday performance though <3

Yes, it's an iconic performance thanks to Niki's invisible bandana!

Yes, it's an iconic performance thanks to Niki's invisible bandana!

:lmao:

ii14.jpg

paris_dwsfl37.jpg

bar_dwsfl30.jpg

bar_dwsfl31.jpg

OMG! Are these yours!?

Every song was a hit, you don't probably understand/remember how huge Ray Of Light and Music were (at least in Europe) back then.

I really didn't give a shit about her live 80s catalog in 2001.

THIS !!!

There's so much I could say about this tour, and it was more than just a show for me. The Geisha section, the atmosphere of La Isla, the WIFLFAG video interlude, Paradise, Sky Fits Heaven, Lo Que Siente La Mujer, Impressive Instant. Just sublime, and I loved the choreography. You feel a different emotion with each segment. Uncanny in parts but beautiful. It's up there as one of her best, imo. She was so daring and different in her approach with the DWT. After being away from touring for so long, she could have taken the easy option and performed all her hits and been a crowd pleaser, but with the DWT, we saw a true artist.

The vocals in this tour were so smooth and perfect. Her best vocal tour with The Girlie show, Reinvention and Rebel heart tour definitely!

This is one of my favorite tours of all time and it was also my first Madonna show after worshipping her and her other shows forever! It was the second night in Atlanta...I was 21...getting tickets was the most nerve wrecking thing ever at that point (until her next show lol) and I was SO in love with the Ray Of Light/Music albums that I was HERE for all those songs. The crowd was WILD as fire and I remember it (at the time) being the loudest concert I had ever been to. "Gone" was my SONG at the time but we didn't get Gone....we got "You'll See"...and there were no complaints from me!! Knowing she only sang that at random shows made it even more special. When the show started and she just appeared, the roar from the audience was deafening....Without thinking, I noticed I had my hands covering my mouth and was truly in awe. It was like you could even SMELL her presence. I've enjoyed over the years watching the DVD a lot. Everything about it is pure theater and by the end when it was her, Nicki and Donna doing some Holiday (after possibly my favorite version of La Isla Bonita ever), the roof had blown off that motherfucking arena! Oh and I also loved how the first thing she said to the crowd during that show was "FUCK OFF MOTHERFUCKEEEEEEEEEERRRRSSSS!!!!"

Drowned World, IMO, is a classic. Maybe I'm biased because it took my Madonna show virginity. Regardless, it was killer and literally made the people come together. Yeaaaaa

I see a lot of fans aren't too fond of this tour, maybe because of the outfit choices or lack of hits

I know you did this 3 years ago, but I have to say it's pointless to start a thread like this because most Madonna fans are just not equipped with the mental capacity to appreciate the greatness of Drowned World Tour. They'd rather moan about wanting the shit RIT DVD. Yikes.

Love the set list and appreciate that it was very dark and focused on newer material.

Just wish there was a way in the end to include Gone while NOT excluding You'll See......

I can't fucking believe it's 15 years ago TODAY since my first Madonna show ever in Milano. I fucking need a time machine, I want to go back!

Drowned world tour is perhaps her best, coz I was blown away by the creativity, and her vocals was raw and full of passion.

I remember watching the HBO premiere at the time. Was really exciting because missed the tour and knew no spoilers.

Actually love the opening too, even though the opening wasn't as dramatic as some of the tours that followed.

I know you did this 3 years ago, but I have to say it's pointless to start a thread like this because most Madonna fans are just not equipped with the mental capacity to appreciate the greatness of Drowned World Tour. They'd rather moan about wanting the shit RIT DVD. Yikes.

I genuinely think it's the less than stellar document of the show that exists ie the Detroit DVD. It certainly doesn't capture what it FELT like being there or even the aesthetics really. Look at those pictures above for example. Good sound though but that was it. I've always said they should have forked out to document each tour on FILM for future generations thus future-proofing them like Queen did. Videotaped TV specials just don't cut it. That's why The Virgin Tour and BA Paris hold up so much all these years later.

I used to watch this every day after school with my grandma lol. She knew nothing of western pop culture/pop music but absolutely loved this. She thought Ray of Light was the most entertaining thing but was disgusted by the dancers during Paradise

I've seen a lot of fans say that the broadcast/DVD barely captured the full essence of the show and I've never understood why, but last year I saw a fan video of SFH and I was absolutely shocked. Despite the sh-tty quality it just looked incredibly alive in a way that the DVD doesn't capture

I used to watch this every day after school with my grandma lol. She knew nothing of western pop culture/pop music but absolutely loved this. She thought Ray of Light was the most entertaining thing but was disgusted by the dancers during Paradise

I've seen a lot of fans say that the broadcast/DVD barely captured the full essence of the show and I've never understood why, but last year I saw a fan video of SFH and I was absolutely shocked. Despite the sh-tty quality it just looked incredibly alive in a way that the DVD doesn't capture

:D

Guest bluejean

I genuinely think it's the less than stellar document of the show that exists ie the Detroit DVD. It certainly doesn't capture what it FELT like being there or even the aesthetics really. Look at those pictures above for example. Good sound though but that was it. I've always said they should have forked out to document each tour on FILM for future generations thus future-proofing them like Queen did. Videotaped TV specials just don't cut it. That's why The Virgin Tour and BA Paris hold up so much all these years later.

When you think about Live To Tell on TOD for example... My God. Imagine ALL her tours done like that!

I honestly don't understand fans that don't appreciate the Drowned World Tour. Okay, she excluded all the classics but at least half of the show was made up of top 10 hits. And creatively speaking it's probably her most inspired show. I do like that she went the complete opposite direction with RIT but if I had to choose between the two, well, there is simply no competition!

And notice these days EVERY pop whore is doing a show with only a sprinkling of their big hits. Do their fans complain about that the way Madonna fans do?

Love the set list and appreciate that it was very dark and focused on newer material.

Just wish there was a way in the end to include Gone while NOT excluding You'll See......

+ another song after HOliday...the miami remix of don´t cry for me argentina would have killed me!!

It´s true. it´s a completely different concert.

That's the case for many concert releases I guess.

Look at MDNA. It's not comparable in terms of editing, but it's totally weakening the impressive theatrical production on the official release.

Guest bluejean

+ another song after HOliday...the miami remix of don´t cry for me argentina would have killed me!!

The inclusion of the Miami mix would have been awful. Why not throw in American Pie and a cover of Born To Be Alive?