MadonnaNation.com Forums
drunkbysix

Drowned World Tour appreciation thread!

Love the DWT - had the HBO special on VHS and played it to death. One of her strongest setlists ever, even if there was barely anything from the 80's.

My favorite after Confessions and MDNA!

Unfortunately, wasn't able to see at time because tickets from scalpers were a f**kin' RIP OFF!

I remember that when I became a fan in the early 00's, info about the DWT was one of the first things i saw online and it got me confused when every site had the same setlist for every city: "Why don't they write what hits she sang after the first show? Why so little interest? The woman certainly isn't singing the same stuff every night! Is she?" :lmao:

It's a very different tour. I like it, but there should have been more songs on it and WIFLFAG video interlude and The Funny Song should have been replaced with, I don't know, Love Tried To Welcome Me and Borderline? Lol

The geisha section is my least favorite (mostly cuz I like the others more). The vocoder, the 10 miles long sleevespan, THAT wig :rotfl:

The rest is very good. Don't Tell Me and Human Nature are fantastic, DCFMA tango is beautiful, Holiday and Music are a nonstop party, Impressive Instant is a tour within a tour, Beautiful Stranger is funny, ROL is performed as it always should be (Madonna without a guitar), etc. I even like her hair :laugh:

My first Madonna tour. I was 21 and it blew me away. My second favorite tour from her, behind Rebel Heart now actually.

My only complaint is The Funny Song. WHY. It wasn't funny and it wasn't entertaining. It disrupted the flow of the show. But it seems as if she finds a way in every tour to throw a WTF moment in.

I'll just never forget how much the audience was into it given the lack of hits. Goes to show how massive those two albums, Music & ROL, really were.

maybe this is her most artistic/innovative tour in a dark way. i remember not liking it because i was so young and mostly into pop and not ready for the tour yet

Had people over last night and decided to have this playing on the background while we were having some drinks. I was asked which tour was this because it had lots of great songs you don't hear her doing anymore.

Had people over last night and decided to have this playing on the background while we were having some drinks. I was asked which tour was this because it had lots of great songs you don't hear her doing anymore.

:thumbsup:

DWT is the tour

Excellent vocal delivery, great songs, elaborate stage, concept, this is performance art, not artsy farsty, corporate-driven, pop tart delusion

Her touring her last three untoured studio albums after having been away for 8 years rather than filling the set list with a bunch of 80s songs is a choice I'll always applaud her for. Basically the paradigm for her entire touring career. The last album takes the spotlight. In this case there were three that had yet to be showcased

JGB-DrownedWorld.jpeg

As a new stan during this era I was soo blown away by it. Everything was just excellent and opened up so many new worlds and ideas to me

What's not to love?

1) Great opening and performance of DW/SFL

2) Impressive Instante. Need to say more?

3) The best and true performance of ROL.

4) Paradise! Tastefully done.

5)'GONE. Vocals of heaven.

6) HOLIDAY (intro of life)

7) best performance of MUSIC. The extended outro, the squats, the spinning vinyl, the screen with her past videos!!!

:wow:

I remember someone posted a HQ picture of the stage design. Could someone post it?

DWT was the most beautiful stage design of all her concerts.

My fave M concert ever. I have so many good memories of this show, of that night in NYC, a few weeks before 9-11.

I remember calling my bf after the concert, I was crying over the phone because I felt so overwhelmed by what I just saw.

Everything is perfect in this show:

Setlist

Costume

Stage design

Interlude

And I remember, the man at the US border was teasing me.

He said: "what are you going to do in NYC?"

Me: I'm going to see Madonna.

-Madonna? I thought she was in Los Angeles (he was just mocking me with a big smile)... Have fun! You're a lucky guy. I really would like to see her live, one day.

Then he started to laugh out loud and winked at me. :lol:

I will never forget this. :laugh:

I never saw the show live sadly, but definitely watched my DVD of it obsessively! Watching some clips again because of this thread.

Especially love that WIFLFAG mix

This DVD tarnished it's lecacy.

Those who've seen it live know, it was beyond anything she'd ever done.

This, TGS & BAT r the zenith of Madonna the artist.

It's a shame for me that at the time of this tour I was very casual as a Madonna fan and really didn't appreciate it's beauty - and was like, not going to pay that kind of money not to hear the hits....I just wasn't quite "there" yet to appreciate this tour - had she done this post RIT, then yes, I would have understood and been all for it - I think it was the hits that brought me back to M so when I heard she wasn't going to be doing them - I was like, eh...I want my first M concert to have hits. Again, I just wasn't on the same page as M in 2001 - kind of a shame, but RIT was my first M concert and I got hits and AL tracks.

All this talk of "Art" and "Pop".... THIS is what it really is.

you mean it's not being a vapid Cunt wearing a wrap with the Mona Lisa on it?

I never seen it live but I owned the DVD which I've watched several times and I feel it is like those artsy movies, that critics love and fans of the director love too, but you watch it and you don't like it as much as you think as you should. It's a very good concert but rather boring compared to BA or Girlie or Confessions or MDNA.

It's a shame for me that at the time of this tour I was very casual as a Madonna fan and really didn't appreciate it's beauty - and was like, not going to pay that kind of money not to hear the hits....I just wasn't quite "there" yet to appreciate this tour - had she done this post RIT, then yes, I would have understood and been all for it - I think it was the hits that brought me back to M so when I heard she wasn't going to be doing them - I was like, eh...I want my first M concert to have hits. Again, I just wasn't on the same page as M in 2001 - kind of a shame, but RIT was my first M concert and I got hits and AL tracks.

I would never forgive myself lol seriously though. Ugh that sucks!

Hey, does anyone have any good links for the full show in different cities...not the DVD obviously?

And any HQ pics of the stage and performance stills? It's so hard to find...

Hey, does anyone have any good links for the full show in different cities...not the DVD obviously?

ii14.jpg

paris_dwsfl37.jpg

bar_dwsfl30.jpg

bar_dwsfl31.jpg

Wow thank you! Any full shows that are easy to find and in good quality?

I love that there's something very very industrial in the stage set.

I love that there's something very very industrial in the stage set.

Yes, love that as well!

I hope we get to see something totally different for the next tour compared to what she had RIT-RHT stage-wise.

Of course each stage was different, but it's mostly huge screens in the back which create very similar shapes. A new stage concept would be great.

Well, It's just something I have to live with - lol. I was into other artists and was going to a lot of other concerts at the time. I wouldn't have appreciated it for what it was in 2001, unfortunately. I might have liked the theatrics, but the set-list wouldn't have faired as well with me at that point in my life/and my level of M fan at the time.

Totally respect and understand that. I'm happy I'm fully in on M since as far as I can remember.

I still have vivid dreams of being at her tours (the ones I missed) as if I were there but it's..bizarre and doesn't make sense and nothing like the tour 😂😂😂❤️ (well once or twice I've had dreams of the shows where I was front row!)

This is my favorite Madonna tour. Who knows what the future holds though!