MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
drunkbysix

Drowned world tour appreciation thread!

Fans frenzy

News report about Madonna and Guy's afternoon of shopping in Milan's Montenapoleone fashion district the day before she started her 3 back-to-back sold out Mediolanum Forum gigs

Been looking for the full version of this show on YT but wasn't able to find it! Thank you. Not the highest quality but whatever, I'll take it.

Was really surprised to hear many fans not really liking this tour, once I started reading M forums. I've always liked it, mainly for the geisha section. My general answers for my all-time favorite M video is Frozen, Express Yourself or WIFLFAG, but, in reality, it's Paradise. Outstanding, brilliant piece that had me mesmerized the first time I saw it. I remember watching the DVD version, where they kept cutting away from the vid and I was like, PLEASE JUST SHOW THE VID I WANNA SEE IT. Then when I found it uncut on Youtube... DIVINE. Sky Fits Heaven, even the WIFLFAG interlude is fantastic. Madonna on a highwire, twirling around, What's not to love?

As far as intros go, it's one of her weakest, however. It's just not my thing... the downtempo stuff. Some ppl prefer it, it's all good. But give me the splashy high choreo bad ass, like Future Lovers, any day.

The encore, MUSIC, is probably the best live rendition of that track. I especially like the part where she's spinning around on the record, and the Kraftwerk sample at the beginning. Now I wish she'd leave the whole urban/subway thing regarding MUSIC alone now, but on this tour is fresh and done well.

My very 1st M tour and I love it! great tour. great memories, I even won the tix on the radio. I took my bf at the time and he was so shocked on how well she sang, he was under the impression that she would lip the whole time. After the concert he played the music album nonstop.

While I love the tour, I still remember my own personal DRAMA very well.

I just turned 18 when the first tour rumors started in early 2001. I was still living with my parents and had no income yet so I asked my mum if I could take her credit card. When they announced that the opening night would be in Cologne (just an hour drive from where I lived), I could not believe it. I skipped school on the day of the presale and called the hotline with two phones simultaneously for 4 hours. With some good luck I managed to get tickets for the opening night and the show the next day - front row seat for almost 300 DM (old German currency before the Euro - that's approximately 150 Euro now). Anyway, my mum wanted to kill me but then she said "Ok since I know that you love her since you were a little kid and it would mean the world to you, I will buy the tickets and drive you to the show". So sweet of her. :)

THEN my sister decided to marry on the same fucking day as the opening night of the Drowned World Tour!!! I honestly didn't know what to do. Of course I wanted to attend the wedding of my sister but on the other hand I thought Madonna would probably never tour again after this show (little did I know). I was in such a dilemma, I couldn't sleep for 3 days. At school I got into some trouble because some assholes told my teacher that I just skipped school to get Madonna tickets.

But THEN Madonna decided to cancel the Cologne shows and the opening show got delayed for three days, now set in Barcelona. The only alternative for me would have been to go to Berlin but it was too far away and already sold out. So I never got to see it live. I still have the invoice of my purchase of the tickets and feel sick when I find them somewhere in the house.

Long story short - yes, amazing tour, her best vocals, most creative sets and fascinatingly dark visuals. I SO wish I could turn back time and just jump on a plane and see it with my own eyes somewhere... :sad:

While I love the tour, I still remember my own personal DRAMA very well.

I just turned 18 when the first tour rumors started in early 2001. I was still living with my parents and had no income yet so I asked my mum if I could take her credit card. When they announced that the opening night would be in Cologne (just an hour drive from where I lived), I could not believe it. I skipped school on the day of the presale and called the hotline with two phones simultaneously for 4 hours. With some good luck I managed to get tickets for the opening night and the show the next day - front row seat for almost 300 DM (old German currency before the Euro - that's approximately 150 Euro now). Anyway, my mum wanted to kill me but then she said "Ok since I know that you love her since you were a little kid and it would mean the world to you, I will buy the tickets and drive you to the show". So sweet of her. :)

THEN my sister decided to marry on the same fucking day as the opening night of the Drowned World Tour!!! I honestly didn't know what to do. Of course I wanted to attend the wedding of my sister but on the other hand I thought Madonna would probably never tour again after this show (little did I know). I was in such a dilemma, I couldn't sleep for 3 days. At school I got into some trouble because some assholes told my teacher that I just skipped school to get Madonna tickets.

But THEN Madonna decided to cancel the Cologne shows and the opening show got delayed for three days, now set in Barcelona. The only alternative for me would have been to go to Berlin but it was too far away and already sold out. So I never got to see it live. I still have the invoice of my purchase of the tickets and feel sick when I find them somewhere in the house.

Long story short - yes, amazing tour, her best vocals, most creative sets and fascinatingly dark visuals. I SO wish I could turn back time and just jump on a plane and see it with my own eyes somewhere... :sad:

:(

Did you think of going and seeing it in London or Paris? It's not far from where you are

Or maybe your parents wouldn't have let you?

I managed to find a ticket for Earl's Court 6 days before the gig £80 good seat

:(

Did you think of going and seeing it in London or Paris? It's not far from where you are

Or maybe your parents wouldn't have let you?

I managed to find a ticket for Earl's Court 6 days before the gig £80 good seat

I was too young back then to even consider going to a city outside of Germany. I did that for the next M tour though. For Reinvention, she had no shows planned in Germany and I thought "OK F*CK THAT SHIT!!!", so I went to see the RIT twice in Paris. My first Madonna show!

Yes. Yes. Yes.

F-ing brilliant from beginning to end. This was live art -- truly the closest thing to theater that's ever been at a rock concert.

Blond Ambition has something to say

Love the DWT - had the HBO special on VHS and played it to death. One of her strongest setlists ever, even if there was barely anything from the 80's.

My favorite after Confessions and MDNA!

Unfortunately, wasn't able to see at time because tickets from scalpers were a f**kin' RIP OFF!

I remember that when I became a fan in the early 00's, info about the DWT was one of the first things i saw online and it got me confused when every site had the same setlist for every city: "Why don't they write what hits she sang after the first show? Why so little interest? The woman certainly isn't singing the same stuff every night! Is she?" :lmao:

It's a very different tour. I like it, but there should have been more songs on it and WIFLFAG video interlude and The Funny Song should have been replaced with, I don't know, Love Tried To Welcome Me and Borderline? Lol

The geisha section is my least favorite (mostly cuz I like the others more). The vocoder, the 10 miles long sleevespan, THAT wig :rotfl:

The rest is very good. Don't Tell Me and Human Nature are fantastic, DCFMA tango is beautiful, Holiday and Music are a nonstop party, Impressive Instant is a tour within a tour, Beautiful Stranger is funny, ROL is performed as it always should be (Madonna without a guitar), etc. I even like her hair :laugh:

My first Madonna tour. I was 21 and it blew me away. My second favorite tour from her, behind Rebel Heart now actually.

My only complaint is The Funny Song. WHY. It wasn't funny and it wasn't entertaining. It disrupted the flow of the show. But it seems as if she finds a way in every tour to throw a WTF moment in.

I'll just never forget how much the audience was into it given the lack of hits. Goes to show how massive those two albums, Music & ROL, really were.

maybe this is her most artistic/innovative tour in a dark way. i remember not liking it because i was so young and mostly into pop and not ready for the tour yet

Had people over last night and decided to have this playing on the background while we were having some drinks. I was asked which tour was this because it had lots of great songs you don't hear her doing anymore.

Had people over last night and decided to have this playing on the background while we were having some drinks. I was asked which tour was this because it had lots of great songs you don't hear her doing anymore.

:thumbsup:

DWT is the tour

Excellent vocal delivery, great songs, elaborate stage, concept, this is performance art, not artsy farsty, corporate-driven, pop tart delusion

Her touring her last three untoured studio albums after having been away for 8 years rather than filling the set list with a bunch of 80s songs is a choice I'll always applaud her for. Basically the paradigm for her entire touring career. The last album takes the spotlight. In this case there were three that had yet to be showcased

JGB-DrownedWorld.jpeg

As a new stan during this era I was soo blown away by it. Everything was just excellent and opened up so many new worlds and ideas to me

What's not to love?

1) Great opening and performance of DW/SFL

2) Impressive Instante. Need to say more?

3) The best and true performance of ROL.

4) Paradise! Tastefully done.

5)'GONE. Vocals of heaven.

6) HOLIDAY (intro of life)

7) best performance of MUSIC. The extended outro, the squats, the spinning vinyl, the screen with her past videos!!!

:wow:

I remember someone posted a HQ picture of the stage design. Could someone post it?

DWT was the most beautiful stage design of all her concerts.

My fave M concert ever. I have so many good memories of this show, of that night in NYC, a few weeks before 9-11.

I remember calling my bf after the concert, I was crying over the phone because I felt so overwhelmed by what I just saw.

Everything is perfect in this show:

Setlist

Costume

Stage design

Interlude

And I remember, the man at the US border was teasing me.

He said: "what are you going to do in NYC?"

Me: I'm going to see Madonna.

-Madonna? I thought she was in Los Angeles (he was just mocking me with a big smile)... Have fun! You're a lucky guy. I really would like to see her live, one day.

Then he started to laugh out loud and winked at me. :lol:

I will never forget this. :laugh:

I never saw the show live sadly, but definitely watched my DVD of it obsessively! Watching some clips again because of this thread.

Especially love that WIFLFAG mix