MadonnaNation.com Forums
drunkbysix

Drowned World Tour appreciation thread!

Or this crap:

madonna-6.jpg

Compared to this:

frozen02.jpg

Into the Keith Haring Groovy is like the best thing ever from the Sticky Theater Extravaganza.

Into the Keith Haring Groovy is like the best thing ever from the Sticky Theater Extravaganza.

Besides live, I don't think I've ever watched it. I just... can't.

I mean, wtf is this:

harp_gal_1990_431.jpg

:lol:

I'm sorry but it's P*E*R*F*E*C*T*I*O*N

I'm sorry but it's P*E*R*F*E*C*T*I*O*N

Agree to disagree?

BTW, I'm not bad mouthing Blond Ambition, it's basically one of the best things to happen since Jesus' resurrection. It's just that certain parts of her concerts (including this one) just kind of make me go like this :huh:

Or this crap:

madonna-6.jpg

Umm, this is perfection and if you don't like it, I can show you the door out. :sassy:

Ay, let's just agree to disagree. Don't hate me.

Guest Not4Pussies

the drowned world tour - september 15, 2001 - los angeles, ca

my first madonna concert

and my favorite tour

She perfed You'll See at my show :wow: (my first M concert too)

But the memory of it has faded away, as I relived my experiece through multiple viewings of the HBO broadcast :(

Guest bluejean

A M A Z I N G

The concert of life!!!

The Mer Girl/Sky Fits Heaven performance blows my mind.

Wow wow wow. This along with Blond Ambition and MDNA are just perfect pop concerts. Noone comes close.

I hadn't seen Madonna live since Blond Ambition, and I got to experience this show twice, in NYC (and she performed You'll See) and in LA

after Sept 11th (my show was rescheduled to the 15th)

The excitement of being at Madison Square Garden, and hearing her LIVE voice again was incredible.

The staging, the setlist, the self indulgence, the performance art, the violence, it was seamless and just plain awesome.

Then being stuck in LA for a week, and seeing a toned down version (not shooting the dancer at the end of Mer Girl, missing The Funny Song)

was just as moving.

I love the setlist, because it was no secret that she had a disdain for the past hits, the 2 oldies she chose were perfect. I had listened to both Ray Of Light and Music

soooo much, seeing all those obscure tracks live and knowing they'd probably never come out agian, to me it might as well have been a singles tour.

A M A Z I N G

The concert of life!!!

The Mer Girl/Sky Fits Heaven performance blows my mind.

Wow wow wow. This along with Blond Ambition and MDNA are just perfect pop concerts. Noone comes close.

I think MDNA is the lovechild of Blond Ambition and Drowned World. LOL.

… and I'm pretty sure that Drowned World was the top during that conception.

:lmao: That really is the best way to compare the 2!

Oooh... :wow:

Definitely seeing those influences and parallels.

The darker religious themes of BAT + the violence of DWT for the Transgression section of MDNA.

The wee mini W.E. promo in MDNA instead of the Dick Tracy section. Open Your Heart/Sagarra Jo recall the acoustic LIB of DWT.

The masc/fem duality Lo Que Siente La Mujer borrows from the BAT setlist to arrive at an opener for MDNA's third section (VOGUE) and then concludes with all the psychodrama of Nobody's Perfect (DWT) for LAV Waltz/Love Spent.

I'm Addicted borrows the martial arts of DWT's Frozen and Sky Fits Heaven. MDNA concludes with crowd-pleasers to bring the people TOGETHER (DWT "Music" and BAT "Keep It Together" --> MDNA "Celebration").

Guest bluejean

My bottom hurts just thinkin about it!

THAT'S an interesting name!

Don't be criticizing ITG ULIZOS, that performance is incredible. She was bringing back her early days with the whole 70's street jump rope thing, keith haring on the screens, amazing choreography and staging, i could go on and on, it was glorious to watch, artpop if u will, real artpop mind u. The harp for cherish maybe but at least it was in context with the mermen.

"Bye fellas'!" :1251:

I would say with MDNA this is my favourite Madonna tour, only time I have seen her live and it was INCREDIBLE.

At that time she could have come on stage and taken a shit and the critics/media and fans would have gone insane she was at real peak in terms of her career at that point.

I recall the NME review saying it was incredible and more like an art installation. Very true.

I see a lot of fans aren't too fond of this tour, maybe because of the outfit choices or lack of hits, but this truly is my most favorite show Madonna has put on! Simply amazing. It definitely set the bar for shows after it and was before its time. Several performances including sky fits heaven and frozen are impressive showcases of madonnas creativity and just look spectacular. She's never looked so honest on stage, for me her performance of nobody's perfect is the most honest she had been since live to tell/oh father on the blond ambition tour.

And the vocals! PRISTINE! I enjoy the vocals from the Paris show a bit more than Detroit, but it's still her best tour vocally to date beside girlie show. I can listen to la isla Bonita live from the tour all day, it actually has more listens on my iPod than the studio version!

So lets praise this majestic tour in all it's glory! :)

My first Madonna Tour. I was 18 and I was blown away. There is no other performer like her. With this tour she had 3 untoured studio albums (Evita + TNBT + 2 pregnancies), a first in her then 18yo career. She really made sure to second her own vision and execution of some of the very best, most profound and lyrically interesting songs of her career.

I loved that she came back after 8 years away from live performance, served people with only Holiday and La Isla Bonita with the 80s and yet still managed another sold out highest-grossing tour . It highlights how much people care whether she plays her 80's catalogue or not when they are thinking whether to fork out $200-$300 to be there

My favourite moments were DW (outstanding vocal deliverance, best of her career imo), ROL, Beautiful Stranger, Mer Girl/Sky Fits Heaven, DTM, Lo Que Siente La Mujer and the entire conclusion. That Krafterwerk sample in Music gave me chills and life at the same time

Fans frenzy

News report about Madonna and Guy's afternoon of shopping in Milan's Montenapoleone fashion district the day before she started her 3 back-to-back sold out Mediolanum Forum gigs

Been looking for the full version of this show on YT but wasn't able to find it! Thank you. Not the highest quality but whatever, I'll take it.

Was really surprised to hear many fans not really liking this tour, once I started reading M forums. I've always liked it, mainly for the geisha section. My general answers for my all-time favorite M video is Frozen, Express Yourself or WIFLFAG, but, in reality, it's Paradise. Outstanding, brilliant piece that had me mesmerized the first time I saw it. I remember watching the DVD version, where they kept cutting away from the vid and I was like, PLEASE JUST SHOW THE VID I WANNA SEE IT. Then when I found it uncut on Youtube... DIVINE. Sky Fits Heaven, even the WIFLFAG interlude is fantastic. Madonna on a highwire, twirling around, What's not to love?

As far as intros go, it's one of her weakest, however. It's just not my thing... the downtempo stuff. Some ppl prefer it, it's all good. But give me the splashy high choreo bad ass, like Future Lovers, any day.

The encore, MUSIC, is probably the best live rendition of that track. I especially like the part where she's spinning around on the record, and the Kraftwerk sample at the beginning. Now I wish she'd leave the whole urban/subway thing regarding MUSIC alone now, but on this tour is fresh and done well.

My very 1st M tour and I love it! great tour. great memories, I even won the tix on the radio. I took my bf at the time and he was so shocked on how well she sang, he was under the impression that she would lip the whole time. After the concert he played the music album nonstop.

While I love the tour, I still remember my own personal DRAMA very well.

I just turned 18 when the first tour rumors started in early 2001. I was still living with my parents and had no income yet so I asked my mum if I could take her credit card. When they announced that the opening night would be in Cologne (just an hour drive from where I lived), I could not believe it. I skipped school on the day of the presale and called the hotline with two phones simultaneously for 4 hours. With some good luck I managed to get tickets for the opening night and the show the next day - front row seat for almost 300 DM (old German currency before the Euro - that's approximately 150 Euro now). Anyway, my mum wanted to kill me but then she said "Ok since I know that you love her since you were a little kid and it would mean the world to you, I will buy the tickets and drive you to the show". So sweet of her. :)

THEN my sister decided to marry on the same fucking day as the opening night of the Drowned World Tour!!! I honestly didn't know what to do. Of course I wanted to attend the wedding of my sister but on the other hand I thought Madonna would probably never tour again after this show (little did I know). I was in such a dilemma, I couldn't sleep for 3 days. At school I got into some trouble because some assholes told my teacher that I just skipped school to get Madonna tickets.

But THEN Madonna decided to cancel the Cologne shows and the opening show got delayed for three days, now set in Barcelona. The only alternative for me would have been to go to Berlin but it was too far away and already sold out. So I never got to see it live. I still have the invoice of my purchase of the tickets and feel sick when I find them somewhere in the house.

Long story short - yes, amazing tour, her best vocals, most creative sets and fascinatingly dark visuals. I SO wish I could turn back time and just jump on a plane and see it with my own eyes somewhere... :sad:

While I love the tour, I still remember my own personal DRAMA very well.

I just turned 18 when the first tour rumors started in early 2001. I was still living with my parents and had no income yet so I asked my mum if I could take her credit card. When they announced that the opening night would be in Cologne (just an hour drive from where I lived), I could not believe it. I skipped school on the day of the presale and called the hotline with two phones simultaneously for 4 hours. With some good luck I managed to get tickets for the opening night and the show the next day - front row seat for almost 300 DM (old German currency before the Euro - that's approximately 150 Euro now). Anyway, my mum wanted to kill me but then she said "Ok since I know that you love her since you were a little kid and it would mean the world to you, I will buy the tickets and drive you to the show". So sweet of her. :)

THEN my sister decided to marry on the same fucking day as the opening night of the Drowned World Tour!!! I honestly didn't know what to do. Of course I wanted to attend the wedding of my sister but on the other hand I thought Madonna would probably never tour again after this show (little did I know). I was in such a dilemma, I couldn't sleep for 3 days. At school I got into some trouble because some assholes told my teacher that I just skipped school to get Madonna tickets.

But THEN Madonna decided to cancel the Cologne shows and the opening show got delayed for three days, now set in Barcelona. The only alternative for me would have been to go to Berlin but it was too far away and already sold out. So I never got to see it live. I still have the invoice of my purchase of the tickets and feel sick when I find them somewhere in the house.

Long story short - yes, amazing tour, her best vocals, most creative sets and fascinatingly dark visuals. I SO wish I could turn back time and just jump on a plane and see it with my own eyes somewhere... :sad:

:(

Did you think of going and seeing it in London or Paris? It's not far from where you are

Or maybe your parents wouldn't have let you?

I managed to find a ticket for Earl's Court 6 days before the gig £80 good seat

:(

Did you think of going and seeing it in London or Paris? It's not far from where you are

Or maybe your parents wouldn't have let you?

I managed to find a ticket for Earl's Court 6 days before the gig £80 good seat

I was too young back then to even consider going to a city outside of Germany. I did that for the next M tour though. For Reinvention, she had no shows planned in Germany and I thought "OK F*CK THAT SHIT!!!", so I went to see the RIT twice in Paris. My first Madonna show!

Watching that opening number now I never would have thought we would see an opening like S&S AND MDNA

Yes. Yes. Yes.

F-ing brilliant from beginning to end. This was live art -- truly the closest thing to theater that's ever been at a rock concert.

Blond Ambition has something to say