ROL - Closing track, MG or HTB

Alpha

ROL 13 or 14  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Closing track

• Mer Girl
    • Has To Be

Mer Girl.

Has to be is nice but too slow for an album where the last three tracks are slow anyway. Mer Girl is a bit left field for Madonna. Critics loved Mer Girl. It became a talking point of the album.

Mer Girl is the perfect way to end the album BUT Has To Be is the superior song. So I would not choose the 14 track version as the better version of ROL but I would have placed Has To Be somewhere near the end (for example right before Mer Girl or replaced Little Star)...then it would have been perfect.

Mer Girl.

Has to be is nice but too slow for an album where the last three tracks are slow anyway. Mer Girl is a bit left field for Madonna. Critics loved Mer Girl. It became a talking point of the album.

MG is "faster" than HTB? :confused:

Mer Girl is the perfect way to end the album BUT Has To Be is the superior song. So I would not choose the 14 track version as the better version of ROL but I would have placed Has To Be somewhere near the end (for example right before Mer Girl or replaced Little Star)...then it would have been perfect.

I remember reading an article about HTB originally made it to the album but Madge wanna a 13 track album (13 the kaballah number), therefore it was dropped.

Thank god it made it to Japanese edition.

Mer Girl is definitely about bringing the album to a close. Has To Be would just seem like another slowie but I suppose it does have a sense of finality to it so maybe it would have worked.

:dazed:

I love Has To Be. It could have worked anywhere around Mer Girl. I do like that she cared about the symbolism of keeping it at number 13 slimply because it fit in with one of the inspirations for the album. It's a shame that Has To Be is not more than a bonus track though.

Guest bluejean

I love Has To Be more than Mer Girl HOWEVER Mer Girl is the perfect closer to any Madonna album ever. It perfectly compliments Drownef World as the opener and the way it ends with those lines "Im still running away."

I don't know that Has To Be belongs on the album. I LOVE the track though, it was in my whoopiedoo top 40. But ROL is perfect as it was/

I love "Has To Be" and most definltely could have fit on the album, but I like "Mer Girl" as the closing track. It's a really poetic artsy track. I love when she includes these sort of songs on her albums. These songs tend to be personal and an unexpected treat as it usually doesn't sound like a typical Madonna song.

I think I've said this before: HTB is one of my favorite ROL songs, and one of my favorite Madonna songs altogether, so I think it should have been on the album, but I think MG was a great ending, so it would be best earlier in the album, like between TPOG and THANTH. And actually, I would just replace "Little Star," which has cool production but is lyrically sappy.

I love Has To Be more than Mer Girl HOWEVER Mer Girl is the perfect closer to any Madonna album ever. It perfectly compliments Drownef World as the opener and the way it ends with those lines "Im still running away."

I don't know that Has To Be belongs on the album. I LOVE the track though, it was in my whoopiedoo top 40. But ROL is perfect as it was/

BOTH

+1 on these! (and others ... this seems to be a very popular opinion here ... I agree, it's really difficult to choose because they are both quietly powerful in their own ways.)

Guest bluejean

Here's a question for you all. Why is it called Mer Girl?

I assume it's some kind of link back to Drowned World. Drowned World is about the world of fame and the falseness of it all, and she called that Drowned World because that entire world she was living in was like she was drowning, could barely breathe in it. Almost like a kind of dystopia is implied in that title to me.

Then 'Mer Girl' I feel is a reference back to all of that, as I assume Mer Girl is like a mermaid? Mer does of course relate to the sea.

So is she infact saying that running away from her mothers death for her has been what brought her into the "drowned world" or the world of fame, and it is called Mer Girl because she has kind of become a being that lives in the ocean (the world of fame) that she can never really escape and is swimming through it trying to escape the past.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on these titles or if Madonna has actually discussed it herself. It was interesting when she went through that phase of naming songs something that isn't actually a phrase from the lyrics of the song. Eg, Drowned World, Mer Girl, Intervention, X-Static Process, Mother & Father, Isaac

Of course it has to be "Mer Girl". The final closing

"I ran and I ran. I'm still running away."

Is the best end to the album and perfectly bookends the opening "I traded fame for life / Without a second though."

"Has to Be" is probably her all time best bonus track ever but as a closing track on the LP it has to be "Mer Girl".

I always thought Mer Girl made all the references you list, Bluejean, but also most importantly refers to the mother, mère in french.

And as a sidenote, wasn't Isaac originally called Fear Of Flying?

Guest bluejean

I always thought Mer Girl made all the references you list, Bluejean, but also most importantly refers to the mother, mère in french.

And as a sidenote, wasn't Isaac originally called Fear Of Flying?

Oh was it? I know it was The Binding of Isaac.

Mer Girl is the ultimate closing track and perfect way to end ROL and as mentioned by others compliments the opening line of trading fame for love, I always thought Mer was short for Mermaid, I was thinking if Has To Be should somewhere else in the album but I like the tracklisting the way it is so maybe having it after the album ends, like a bonus track say like after minute of silence, as I think HTB compliments the 'I'm still running away'...think I'm spending far too much time thinking about it, it's just recently ROL has started to grow on me even more

Little Star does have sappy lyrics but I feel it's part of the album as its Madonna singing about her little ray of light.

Here's a question for you all. Why is it called Mer Girl?

I assume it's some kind of link back to Drowned World. Drowned World is about the world of fame and the falseness of it all, and she called that Drowned World because that entire world she was living in was like she was drowning, could barely breathe in it. Almost like a kind of dystopia is implied in that title to me.

Then 'Mer Girl' I feel is a reference back to all of that, as I assume Mer Girl is like a mermaid? Mer does of course relate to the sea.

So is she infact saying that running away from her mothers death for her has been what brought her into the "drowned world" or the world of fame, and it is called Mer Girl because she has kind of become a being that lives in the ocean (the world of fame) that she can never really escape and is swimming through it trying to escape the past.

I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on these titles or if Madonna has actually discussed it herself. It was interesting when she went through that phase of naming songs something that isn't actually a phrase from the lyrics of the song. Eg, Drowned World, Mer Girl, Intervention, X-Static Process, Mother & Father, Isaac

This is very similar to what I thought "Mer Girl" (as a title) always meant. At the time the album was released, she seemed obsessed with WATER as a metaphor - "Drowned World", "Swim", "Frozen" - the album imagery is seeped in water symbolism.

Anyway, "Mer Girl" did seem like a nod to the mermaid, at least in context. Even if you think of the most famous mermaid story - Hans Christensen's "The Little Mermaid" - you find that a girl trades her fins for legs to be with her true love. Only in the end (at least in the book), she doesn't achieve it. I always felt like "Mer Girl" was a vignette about Madonna seeking fame to transplant the negative feelings about losing her mother, only to find that the trade didn't help. Hence, she used her freedom to keep running. She never found peace in it.

Team Mer Girl, even if Has to Be is a better song overall.