Rank and Review Every Madonna Album from Best to Worst

MPowered

Alright so I decided to do a full review/ranking of Madonna's albums, with the exception of I'm Breathless as I think it would be unfair to rank it, since it's more of a concept album than a studio album.

12. Like a Virgin

key tracks: Angel, Dress You Up, Over and Over, Like a Virgin

Most of the tracks sound really cheesy in comparison to most tracks from "Madonna". Like a Virgin and Material Girl are classics, but they didn't really stand the test of time. Angel and Dress You Up fared way better, though. They still sound quite fresh nowadays. But all in all this album has a lot of fillers and can't keep up with her other albums.

11. Erotica

key tracks: Erotica, Bad Girl, Fever, Rain, Deeper and Deeper

A lot of fans really seem to like Erotica calling it underrated and stuff, but to me it isn't. In fact there are a lot of tracks that could've been left out and most songs should've been shortened as well. Bye Bye Baby, Did You Do It, Where Life Begins and also the fan-favorite Waiting seem pointless as they fill-up an already long album with songs that just extend it's overall theme to the max. I love Where Life Begins, but it clearly is a filler that just tries to demonstrate the naughtiness and daring theme of this album. It's production sounds really dated and overproduced at some point, especially on tracks like Thief of Hearts and Words, which are two of my favorites from this album. There's too much dirty-talk and not enough singing on this record for my taste.

10. MDNA

key tracks: Gang Bang, Love Spent, I'm Addicted, Masterpiece, Girl Gone Wild

This album is somehow like Erotica an album that has some highlights but again a lot of fillers. Songs like GMAYL, TUTR, Superstar and the awful B-Day Song should've stayed outtakes, whereas Beautiful Killer and the more personal tracks like I Fucked Up and Best Friend should've been on the regular track list. The album is quite sad and dark overall and it should've stayed that way. The light-hearted tracks destroy the flow of the album and make it hard for the listener to fully appreciate it. The above mentioned "key-tracks" are what keeps this album from being her worst and are way up there with some of her best songs. It's a very honest and personal album and less pretentious than Erotica, but seems more rushed in terms of production and not cohesive enough.

9. Hard Candy

key tracks: Beat Goes On, Give It 2 Me, 4 Minutes, She's Not Me, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

This album was a really-interesting move for Madonna, especially after Confessions. Her last album was more of a disco and all dance album and most fans were excited to see what she was gonna do next. Hard Candy was the result and it does have some really great tracks and is more light-hearted than Confessions and American Life. It's a fun album that also has some sad and melancholic moments like in Miles Away, Voices or Devil. Her vocals on this album are really thin and so are the lyrics on some tracks. The thing with Hard Candy is that most of it isn't classic Madonna and really can't compare with the rest of her songs. What's interesting, is that most of Hard Candy still sounds very fresh and not dated, which is what makes it superior to Erotica, LAV and MDNA and unlike AL it's an album that was made for commercial success. Beat Goes On, Devil and She's Not Me all could've been Top 10 hits for Madonna.

8. Bedtime Stories

key tracks: Human Nature, Secret, Take a Bow, Sanctuary, Bedtime Story

The goal of this album was to show a more softer side of Madonna and it was clearly handed well. There are a lot of beautiful tracks and while it's supposed to be more calm and mellow it still has that sexual Madonna-vibe that seemed a little to forced during Erotica. This album is probably one of most well-produced albums and it might be her most cohesive along with COADF and eventhough it's very well-produced and beautifully written it seems like it's missing the edginess of her previous two albums. Her vocals are beautiful on this album and it seems like she completely stripped down just to show us a little bit more of herself, a more vulnerable Madonna.

7. True Blue

key tracks: Open Your Heart, La Isla Bonita, Papa Don't Preach, Live to Tell, True Blue

This album's advantage is that it spawned five of Madonna's most iconic hits and even though most of it is somehow similar to her previous albums, it somehow was a great step forward as it seems more mature and has more variety in it's songs. All of the songs, except for Jimmy Jimmy and LMTWGR, are classic Madonna songs that perfectly capture the essence of Madonna: Music with meaning that you can dance to and songs that will deeply touch your heart with the honesty of their lyrics. Why is it not in her Top 5? Well at some point it's still not as daring as Like a Prayer and Ray of Light, but it was clearly a change from LAV and Madonna.

6. Madonna

key tracks: Everybody, Burning Up, Lucky Star, Holiday, Borderline

The album that started it all! Iconic from start to finish and even now, 30 years later it still sounds recent and not too dated. Everybody and Physical Attraction are probably the most timeless of all the songs and Holiday and Lucky Star are classic that everyone will remember. It's the perfect 80's album with the right mixture of dance and more slower but still sexy tracks. This was the album that established the Madonna image and this alone makes it one of her best albums.

5. Music

key tracks: Music, Impressive Instant, Don't Tell Me, Paradise (Not for Me), Amazing

Music might be as it was mentioned in the review a little overshadowed by Ray of Light, but it clearly is a great album. It's actually an album that never seems to get old. Unlike all her other albums this might be her most diverse and interesting as it appears to be a mixture of Ray of Light and American Life. There are some cool dance songs like Music, Impressive Instant, Amazing and Runaway Lover and more acoustic/folk sounding songs like Don't Tell Me, WIFLFAG and I Deserve It. Paradise is probably one of her most mesmerizing and haunting tracks and even though this album is everything but cohesive it's very enjoyable and capturing. It really doesn't get boring and there are no fillers. The diversity of Music is what makes it stand out. Every single song has a story to tell and they all sound different from each other. Too bad only three singles were released since they don't really seem to represent what this album's all about.

4. American Life

key tracks: American Life, Hollywood, Nothing Fails, Love Profusion, Nobody Knows Me

Music already led us into the direction Madonna was going to and when she released American Life most fans were probably disappointed as it really wasn't like anything Madonna has done before. It was a really interesting mixture of acoustic, folk and electronic beats. Most fans consider American Life a flop or one of her worst. The fact is that American Life wasn't a commercial album. It was Madonna doing her thing not caring about the radio or anything else. It was her creating the music she wanted to make and the music she thought was best to express what she wanted to express at that time. Just like she did when she recorded Erotica. American Life was way ahead of it's time and not a lot of people dare to release music like especially not if they've been as long in the show business as Madonna has. American Life combines edginess with beautiful melodies on songs like Love Profusion and Intervention. Nobody Knows Me and Mother and Father turn personal songs into futuristic dance tracks with guitars. American Life is one of her most interesting and timeless albums ever and eventhough there are some cringe-worthy rapping moments on songs like American Life it might be the last time Madonna has done her own thing without paying attention to the radio whatsoever. Something many fans would wish she did now.

3. Confessions on a Dance Floor

key tracks: Hung Up, Forbidden Love, Isaac, Get Together, Jump

After AL this might have been more of a "back-to-the-roots" album as it seems like it's an updated version of her 80's albums. There is no "real" ballads on this and it's a all-dance and fun album. Some of the songs seem to link at Madonna's NYC days and the lyrics overall are well-written but not as deep as the lyrics from ROL, for example. Again this album is enjoyable from start to finish and it's very cohesive. It does have some diversity in it's tracks but it's not as edgy. Madonna also makes self-references, with a lot of them actually linked to another "TOP 3" Madonna album, Like a Prayer. Confessions will definitely stand the test of time with it's strong production and will always be one of Madonna's top albums.

2. Like a Prayer

key tracks: Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Oh Father, Till Death Do Us Part, Cherish

Like a Prayer is probably one of Madonna's most personal and autobiographical album. After True Blue this album was more mature in it's content than her previous albums and more edgy as well. Starting with the epic opening track, which is probably her best song to date. Like a Prayer is one of the finest pop albums of the 80's and is similar in it's structure to Music. Every song has it's own story to tell and together they create this masterpiece of an album. Great song-writing and production and still today admired by many fans and non-fans. It's not too diverse, but also not too cohesive. There are some dark and some lighthearted moments, some great dance tunes and beautiful ballads. Like a Prayer is a real up-and-down journey kind of like a roller-coaster of emotions that everyone of us can probably relate to.

1. Ray of Light

key tracks: Frozen, Ray of Light, The Power of Good-Bye, Nothing Really Matters, Drowned World/Substitute for Love

It's really hard to choose key tracks from this album, since every song on this album is a stand-out in Madonna's career. Ray of Light created a whole new persona. It seemed like Madonna was reborn and ready to take risques. Ray of Light is pure art starting with the gorgeous DW/SFL and ending with the hauntingly beautiful Mer Girl. This album was Madonna's greatest step forward and ironically this was one of the major themes of this album. The future. It seemed like Madonna had turned inside out with very personal songs like Mer Girl and DW/SFL. The production and the lyrics are top notch and listening to it, it feels like you're in another world. There's is great techno-dance tracks like Ray of Light, Skin and Nothing Really Matters as well as the beautiful ballads Frozen and The Power of Good-Bye, which I wouldn't even consider ballads. Even the "weak" tracks are enjoyable and they add to Ray of Light's edginess. It's the right mixture of everything. Every song is worth a listen and there's just no bad songs.

Guest Pud Whacker

Madonna/ Madonna the best. Then true blue. The LAP. then ray of light. Then music. Then hard candy.

Then EAT IT!!!!

01. Confessions On A Dance Floor

02. American Life

03. Ray Of Light

04. Madonna

05. Erotica

06. Hard Candy

07. Music

08. Bedtime Stories

09. Like A Virgin

10. True Blue

11. Like A Prayer

12. MDNA

01. Ray of Light

02. MDNA

03. Confessions on a Dance Floor

04. Music

05. Hard Candy

06. Bedtime Stories.

07. Erotica

08. American Life

09. Madonna

10. Like a Prayer

11. True Blue

12. Like a Virgin

01. Erotica

02. American Life

03. Music

04. Ray Of Light

05. Bedtime Stories

06. MDNA

07. Hard Candy

08. Like A Prayer

09. Madonna

10. COADF

11. True Blue

12. Like A Virgin

12. Like a Virgin

I like Nile Rodgers' production, but the songs simply aren't as strong as those on the first album. Half of the songs are great, but the other half of the songs are plain fillers.

Favourite songs: Dress You Up, Like a Virgin, Over and Over.

11. Bedtime Stories

This was very much a damage-control album. It's still sexual, but not as in-your-face as Erotica. It's well-produced, but feels too slick and deliberately radio-friendly for my taste.

Favourite songs Sanctuary, Secret, Survival

10. Erotica

Erotica is underrated as an album, though some of the criticism isn't unfounded. First of all, it's too long: 11 of the 14 tracks run for 5 minutes or longer, and songs such as "Where Life Begins", "Why's It So Hard?" and "Did You Do It?" could easily have been cut from the album. Second, the album version of "Fever" doesn't do the song any justice - Edit 2 (aka the video version) is much stronger. Oh, and I agree with Metroweekly that "Justify My Love" and "Rescue Me" should have been saved for this album.

Favourite songs: Erotica, Thief of Hearts, Bad Girl

9. True Blue

The album that elevated Madonna from stardom to superstardom, not least due to its incredibly strong singles, and Madonna's vocals sounding significantly stronger than on her previous recordings. However, production-wise it sounds more dated than both of her previous albums. And "Jimmy Jimmy"!? Seriously?

Favourite songs: Open Your Heart, La Isla Bonita, Live to Tell

8. Music

A good album, though not as cohesive as Ray of Light or American Life. The songs produced by William Orbit, though great as individual song, just don't fit in with the Mirwais tracks. I would have prefered to have "Impressible Instant" and "I Deserve It" released as singles instead of WIFLFAG.

Favourite songs: Music, Impressive Instant, Don't Tell Me

7. Confessions on a Dance Floor

COADF feels very much like a retrospective album, with many of the songs featuring either lyrical or musical references to Madonna's previous works. It's coherent from start to end, though there are a few fillers, and I think Stuart Price's productions feel a bit repetitive when listening to the album in its entirety. The single choices were brilliant, though

Favourite songs: Jump, Hung Up, Isaac

6. American Life

Probably the most underrated album of Madonna's entire career, though there are a few weak song. This felt like a very natural follow-up to Music, following the same musical paths, but taking it a bit further in a more coherent way. The electro-acoustic approach appeals to me; however, songs such as "American Life" and "Nobody Knows Me" sound a bit lifeless on the record and came to life only in their live arrangements.

Favourite songs: Nothing Fails, Love Profusion, Easy Ride

5. Madonna

Easily among the strongest debut albums in pop music history. A few of the songs are a bit too long, but it's certainly the one of Madonna's 80s albums that has aged the best.

Favourite songs: Burning Up, Holiday, Think of Me

4. Hard Candy

Definitely an underrated album. There aren't any bad songs on this album, but songs such as "4 Minutes", "Heartbeat" and "Dance 2night" don't really feel like Madonna songs, and "Devil" and "Voices" are marred by Timbaland's over-production. Madonna jumping on the Timbaland band 2 or 3 years too late didn't help either. Still, I consider it one of my best b-day presents ever (it was released on my 20th birthday).

Favourite songs: Give It 2 Me, Beat Goes On, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

3. Like a Prayer

Opening the album with two of the greatest pop songs ever written was simply brilliant, though "Express Yourself" would also have worked well as an album closer. A few of the songs, especially "Dear Jessie", pale in comparison with the other songs, but there aren't any really weak songs on the album. That said, many of the productions sound dated now.

Favourite songs: Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Oh Father

2 . MDNA

This is an album that adds up to less than the sum of it parts. On the one hand, some of the songs are among Madonna's all-time best. On the other, I really don't get how come songs such as "Superstar" and "Some Girls" made the standard track list, when "Beautiful Killer" and "I Fucked Up" didn't. Overall, it's a good album - in my opinion Madonna's best since "Ray of Light" - but it could have been better if Madonna had focused on her music while recording this. Furthermore, it was marred by an illogical track order and two weak preceding singles.

Favourite songs: Love Spent, I'm Addicted, Turn Up the Radio

1. Ray of Light

This is Madonna at her most adventurous and creative, featuring some of her strongest studio vocals. The album will always be special to me, because it was my first ever Madonna album. However, the album has three weak links in the form of the songs written with Rick Nowels. They aren't bad per se; they just don't fit in and fade in comparison to the rest.

Favourite songs: Ray of Light, Frozen, Drowned World/Substitute for Love

12. Like a Virgin

I like Nile Rodgers' production, but the songs simply aren't as strong as those on the first album. Half of the songs are great, but the other half of the songs are plain fillers.

Favourite songs: Dress You Up, Like a Virgin, Over and Over.

11. Bedtime Stories

This was very much a damage-control album. It's still sexual, but not as in-your-face as Erotica. It's well-produced, but feels too slick and deliberately radio-friendly for my taste.

Favourite songs Sanctuary, Secret, Survival

10. Erotica

Erotica is underrated as an album, though some of the criticism isn't unfounded. First of all, it's too long: 11 of the 14 tracks run for 5 minutes or longer, and songs such as "Where Life Begins", "Why's It So Hard?" and "Did You Do It?" could easily have been cut from the album. Second, the album version of "Fever" doesn't do the song any justice - Edit 2 (aka the video version) is much stronger. Oh, and I agree with Metroweekly that "Justify My Love" and "Rescue Me" should have been saved for this album.

Favourite songs: Erotica, Thief of Hearts, Bad Girl

9. True Blue

The album that elevated Madonna from stardom to superstardom, not least due to its incredibly strong singles, and Madonna's vocals sounding significantly stronger than on her previous recordings. However, production-wise it sounds more dated than both of her previous albums. And "Jimmy Jimmy"!? Seriously?

Favourite songs: Open Your Heart, La Isla Bonita, Live to Tell

8. Music

A good album, though not as cohesive as Ray of Light or American Life. The songs produced by William Orbit, though great as individual song, just don't fit in with the Mirwais tracks. I would have prefered to have "Impressible Instant" and "I Deserve It" released as singles instead of WIFLFAG.

Favourite songs: Music, Impressive Instant, Don't Tell Me

7. Confessions on a Dance Floor

COADF feels very much like a retrospective album, with many of the songs featuring either lyrical or musical references to Madonna's previous works. It's coherent from start to end, though there are a few fillers, and I think Stuart Price's productions feel a bit repetitive when listening to the album in its entirety. The single choices were brilliant, though

Favourite songs: Jump, Hung Up, Isaac

6. American Life

Probably the most underrated album of Madonna's entire career, though there are a few weak song. This felt like a very natural follow-up to Music, following the same musical paths, but taking it a bit further in a more coherent way. The electro-acoustic approach appeals to me; however, songs such as "American Life" and "Nobody Knows Me" sound a bit lifeless on the record and came to life only in their live arrangements.

Favourite songs: Nothing Fails, Love Profusion, Easy Ride

5. Madonna

Easily among the strongest debut albums in pop music history. A few of the songs are a bit too long, but it's certainly the one of Madonna's 80s albums that has aged the best.

Favourite songs: Burning Up, Holiday, Think of Me

4. Hard Candy

Definitely an underrated album. There aren't any bad songs on this album, but songs such as "4 Minutes", "Heartbeat" and "Dance 2night" don't really feel like Madonna songs, and "Devil" and "Voices" are marred by Timbaland's over-production. Madonna jumping on the Timbaland band 2 or 3 years too late didn't help either. Still, I consider it one of my best b-day presents ever (it was released on my 20th birthday).

Favourite songs: Give It 2 Me, Beat Goes On, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

3. Like a Prayer

Opening the album with two of the greatest pop songs ever written was simply brilliant, though "Express Yourself" would also have worked well as an album closer. A few of the songs, especially "Dear Jessie", pale in comparison with the other songs, but there aren't any really weak songs on the album. That said, many of the productions sound dated now.

Favourite songs: Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Oh Father

2 . MDNA

This is an album that adds up to less than the sum of it parts. On the one hand, some of the songs are among Madonna's all-time best. On the other, I really don't get how come songs such as "Superstar" and "Some Girls" made the standard track list, when "Beautiful Killer" and "I Fucked Up" didn't. Overall, it's a good album - in my opinion Madonna's best since "Ray of Light" - but it could have been better if Madonna had focused on her music while recording this. Furthermore, it was marred by an illogical track order and two weak preceding singles.

Favourite songs: Love Spent, I'm Addicted, Turn Up the Radio

1. Ray of Light

This is Madonna at her most adventurous and creative, featuring some of her strongest studio vocals. The album will always be special to me, because it was my first ever Madonna album. However, the album has three weak links in the form of the songs written with Rick Nowels. They aren't bad per se; they just don't fit in and fade in comparison to the rest.

Favourite songs: Ray of Light, Frozen, Drowned World/Substitute for Love

Thank you for actually reviewing the albums! :thumbsup: We do agree on a lot of points, actually! ;)

No reviews? That's...sad.

Yeah, we've done this so many times that I think the only purpose for this thread is to actually say WHY we're ranking them the way we do.

1. Like a Prayer. While I can see its flaws, it's hard for me not to forgive them. This was the first Madonna album I bought, and it blew me away at the age of 10. I'd never heard anything like it before (having only been exposed to Top 40 pop music). It's easily her most personal album. It's raw, it's real, her voice isn't perfect but that's the point. And it's beautiful. It's also the least "dance" album she's ever put out. I love all of the different musical influences, mostly rock and R&B.

2. Erotica. Probably my most-played Madonna CD, and my most played CD period. There was a time from 1994 to about 2006 where I sort of talked shit about this album, from her vocals to the dated house production, but in retrospect I think it's one of her greatest pieces of work. It's raw, it's sexy, it's cold, it's bitter. And I'm just really into this period in her career and in music in general right now.

3. Ray of Light. Used to be my #2 until I rediscovered Erotica. She was obviously really inspired when she made this album, and her reuniting with Patrick Leonard can't be dismissed. He helped make this album what it is. The melodies and vocals are great. I do think M's lyrics started to take a turn for the worse here, but it's only noticeable in retrospect. And I can't forget to mention William Orbit, whose production is stellar.

4. Music. I have to say that this album is tied with ROL for me. I give ROL the edge because it was her "rebirth" and it's more cohesive as a whole album than Music, which feels kind of scattershot. BUT on a song for song basis, it's just as strong, and often more interesting than ROL. Madonna had really let go and you can tell felt total creative freedom after ROL to experiment. Mirwais' style was unexpected and even William Orbit produced some of his best work with Madonna ("Gone"). The only other flaw is that it's too short, although that's part of its charm. No fuss.

5. I'm Breathless. I'm including this one because i consider it a Madonna album. And it's one of her best. Some of her best vocals are on this album, and even though some songs are cheesy, like "Cry Baby" and "I'm Going Bananas," the highlights more than make up for it. And of course, "Vogue."

6. Confessions on a Dance Floor. I have some issues with this album. I wish it was... warmer? I almost prefer the disco sound of Hard Candy to this album's idea of disco, but overall this album is extremely strong and consistent and quite a "comeback" creatively following American Life. Like Orbit, Stuart's production is a little too slick for my tastes (I like Madonna with some grit/soul), but again like ROL, it's a consistent, inspired effort. You can tell she wasn't phoning it in like she would on subsequent albums.

7. Bedtime Stories. A close #7 following COADF. Both albums sort of serve the same purpose of doing "damage control" after a disappointing album (at least sales/chart-wise). Madonna's vocals are lush and warm and this is a very personal album. I wish there was more Nellee Hooper and less of the other producers, but "Secret" and "Human Nature" are still highlights.

8. Madonna. Pretty much tied with BS, but I gave BS the edge because '90s Madonna is truly the most interesting to me. This album obviously has some great singles, and it's a great dance album.

9. True Blue. Tied with MDNA, but I'll give it the edge because of the strength of the singles. "Live to Tell," "Open Your Heart" and "La Isla Bonita" are some of my favorite Madonna songs, particularly from the '80s. The only real stinker is "Jimmy Jimmy." I like "White Heat" and even "Love Makes the World Go Round."

10. MDNA. I despise "Give Me All Your Luvin" as a single, and "Girl Gone Wild" is regrettable in the same way "Celebration" and "Revolver" are: catchy, but beneath her and a disservice to her reputation. That said, I think the highlights of this album ("Gang Bang," "Love Spent," "I'm Addicted," "I'm a Sinner," "Some Girls," even "Turn Up the Radio") more than make up for its weaknesses. Even "Superstar" isn't so bad even though I disliked it at first. Madonna's had worse filler on her albums.

11. American Life. Not her best work. But I respect this album. The Mirwais sound was kind of tired at this point, and I wish she'd done something different, but I still love "Die Another Day," "Easy Ride," "Nobody Knows Me," etc. This is another example, like Music, where she was just following her inspiration, and I'll take this over "Give Me All Your Luvin" and HC any day.

12. Hard Candy. What can I say. I don't dislike this album, but the only songs on my iPod are "Beat Goes On" and "Dance 2Nite." I dig the slower songs, even "Miles Away," but her vocals on this album are WEAK. And it saddens me that "4 Minutes" will probably be her last big worldwide hit.

13. Like a Virgin. "Material Girl" and "Dress You Up" are classics. Never been a fan of "Like a Virgin," but I like "Angel" a lot, and a few of the other songs. Just not her strongest work. Singles surrounded by decent filler. Definitely her weakest album, but it's still a 3.5/5 or 70/100 for me. She's never made a bad album.

OK here I go :)

01. Erotica
The album that made me fan - and that's one of the reasons it's topping my chart. Not that my musical tastes have not evolved in the past (almost) 21 years, but actually because it has. This album has several levels of reading, and I obviously don't see it the same way I did when I was 12. Back then, the "forbidden fruit" aura of this record added to it, some years later, the sexual topics appealed to me a bit more, now I really appreciate the melancholy you can't help but find in some of the lyrics. The one thing that remained intact is the haunting darkness attached to these songs, and to a certain extent, Erotica hasn't really aged to my ears.
02. American Life
The pther Madonna album I can play without skipping a single track. Not much to explain here, this album was just very obivous to me from the first time I played it. It still is, and not only I don't skip a track, but it's very rare for me to play only a couple of songs from it, I need the whole thing.
03. Music
The electro/acoustic mix works like a charm here, one could find awkard to go from Impressive Instant to Gone, I don't. It flows - with the exception of Runaway Lover and Amazing, which sound better when played separately. Oh, and I need American Pie to finish it. Not the greatest song she has ever recorded for sure, but her vocals save it all on this one.
04. Ray Of Light
I've had a love/hate relationship with this album for a long time, maybe it was too unsettling after Erotica and Bedtime Stories - I don't count Evita, as this project bored the hell out of me. It actually grew on me very recently, I could still do without Shanti/Ashtangi and Little Star though, especially the latter.
05. Bedtime Stories
Erotica 2 : the same despair sensation that comes through, and a bit of that darkness feel to it. Madonna shows more soul on this record than she ever did until then, and it includes some of her most underrated songs. It's just too bad she didn't keep tracks like Let down your Guard for the album, instead of one her worst filler songs ever : Don't stop.
06. MDNA
My main problem with this album is that I probably had to wait a bit too long for it. After all this time, I expected it to be absolutely perfect. When I first listened to it, some of the songs were a bit difficult to swallow at first ( Girl Gone Wild, way too obvious for an artist of her stature, or Hello Turn up the Radio ) but took another dimension when heard performed live. Now don't get me wrong, I really like this album - it includes Gang Bang and Love spent, which makes it a hard-to-despise album, but it also includes stuff like Superstar, Some Girls or B-Day Song which made the list of Madonna songs that make me cringe.
07. Hard Candy
Another underrated album IMO. Yeah, the artwork is totally f**ed up, yeah, she jumped on the Timbaland/Pharrell bandwagon a million years after everyone else did, but that doesn't make it any less of a good music selection. It actually aged quite well - hence the smashing success of Blurred Lines, which is nothing but Give it 2 Me's twin - and there's actually just one song I don't like on it : Incredible. I don't count Spanish Lesson as a disliked one as the live performance totally saved it for me.
08. Like A Prayer
I know, it's a classic and I wouldn't think I'd rate it so low - doesn't mean I don't like it though. It's just that the best ( Like a Prayer, Express Yourself, Promise to try... ) is thrown in with songs I really don't care for : Spanish Eyes does nothing for me, and I hate Till Death Do Us Part's intro : it gives me an urge to skip it, so I don't get to listen to it that much.
09. Madonna
Again, an album I love, it's just some of the wayy-too-80s sounds that make me rate it lower than the other 8. But it's an album I really love playing - I mean, come on... Burning up !
10. COADF
I love the live versions of these songs, which basically explains why I very rarely listen to the studio version. Case in point : Let it will be. The album version sounds so pale compared to that awesome remix ! That kind of sums it up : it lacks the energy Madonna gave it on stage.
11. True Blue
Great singles, and White Heat is one of those awesome 80s Madonna songs - as Causing a Commotion is. But the rest... I think I haven't listened to Jimmy Jimmy in years, and it's not gonna change any time soon.
12. Like A Virgin

Same as above. In fact, the singles from both LAV and TB are obviously songs I love, but I like them more as part of The Immaculate Collection or Celebration. Maybe they're too iconic : I'd rather have Dress you up followed by Material Girl on Celebration than followed by Shoo-bee-doo and Pretender on LAV...

MDNA By any other singer MDNA would be heralded as a brilliant modern pop album. Unfortunately, M has her towering back catalogue to deal with. When you're the person who brought us Vogue, Like A Prayer and Live To Tell (among many, many others), Girl Gone Wild isn't gonna cut it. MDNA does have it's moments: the pounding finale of Love Spent, the steady build and calculated release of I'm Addicted, the deranged climax of Gang Bang. All great songs, all pure M. But for the most part MDNA feels halfhearted, like the songs are almost there but needed just a little more attention from their makers. A good enough effort nonetheless, and it gave us M's best tour, so I can't be too mad at it. But I do hope next time around she has her head a little more in the game.

Favorite songs: Love Spent, I'm Addicted, Some Girls

True Blue M stepped it up for True Blue, delivering her strongest vocal performances to date and some solid songwriting, along with her first credited co-productions. Songs like Live To Tell and Papa Don't Preach Preach signaled a new depth to her music and were a sign of the future. Personally, this is my least favorite of her 80's albums, though I do like it. It doesn't have the gravity of LAP and it's not as fun as Madonna and LAV. It's somewhere in the middle musically and as such so are my feelings on it.

Favorite songs: Open Your Heart, Live To Tell

American Life The natural continuation of Music, offering up a more cohesive listening experience than that album, although the highs here don't come close to the highs of Music. Still, a good album that M clearly put a lot of heart and soul into. I like it but I have to admit I rarely listen to it nowadays. But I admire her for doing it. The woman who sang Vogue now disowning "the pretty pictures"? Pretty damn ballsy.

Favorite songs: I'm So Stupid, Nobody Knows Me, Intervention

Madonna The one that started it all and arguably the quintessential dance-pop album. It's the 80's pop album people who don't like 80's pop will listen to. That says it all really.

Favorite songs: Physical Attraction, Lucky Star, Burning Up

Music Following up an "album's album" like ROL with what is essentially a single's collection was a surprising move on M's part. Maybe she knew after all the praise and general buzz ROL got that the follow-up could never live up to it anyway. It's ironic only three singles were pulled from Music because it really does seem to have been made for just that. At least 2-3 more songs could've been released and likely would've seen at least a little success. Oh well. Here you'll find what is, in my opinion, M's best ballad, the stirring and sweeping Paradise (Not For Me).

Favorite songs: Paradise (Not For Me), Music, Gone

Hard Candy It's a shame this album gets a bad rap. It's fun, tongue in cheek, and brimming with genuine emotion. Granted, it has a few fillers and her vocals aren't always perfect, but I feel Hard Candy comes from an honest place for M. At the very least it has lot more heart than, say, MDNA. Truth be told, while I feel albums like Confessions and Music are overall more accomplished works of art, I listen to HC a lot more. It really is a lot of fun and it simply makes me happy.

Favorite songs: She's Not Me, Give It 2 Me, Incredible, Miles Away

Bedtime Stories It was tough to be a Madonna fan in 1994, what with the Sex backlash and general hate seemingly everyone was throwing her way. Can you imagine what it must've been like for the woman herself? Yikes. But M persevered, offering up her 6th studio album, an R&B tinged collection of smooth pop. There's a lot of talk about M laying low and purposely going soft for BS, and that's definitely true, but she didn't completely lie down and take it. Survival and Human Nature both highlight M's fighting nature -- even when she's soft she's still gonna get her point across. Lyrically BS deals a lot with seeking comfort and finding peace, and the music perfectly fits the mood. BS is like a warm blanket on a winter night, cozy, comfortable, and just what you want to sink into to escape the world, even if only for an hour.

Favorite songs: Secret, Survival, Inside of Me, Love Tried To Welcome Me

Like A Prayer Like A Prayer is a great album that got a little boost by being the first "serious" work by an artist that had up 'til then been perceived as a disco dolly. There's no denying the power and potency of songs like Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, and Oh Father. Nonetheless, M had bigger fish to fry and her best work was still to come.

Favorite songs: Express Yourself, Love Song, Keep It Together

Like A Virgin Over the years many M collaborators have spoken of how "alive" and "present" she is as a person and artist. Of all her albums that's possibly clearest on LAV. Madonna is warm and engaging, fun and flirty throughout. No pretensions, no big messages, just great pop songs you can dance to. Even filler songs like Shoo-Bee-Doo and Pretender are far better and have more personality than they have any right to.

Favorite songs: Angel, Like A Virgin, Dress You Up

Confessions on a Dance Floor American Life didn't do so well and M went into damage control mode. A hits tour (or as close as she's gonna get to one) and a dance album to the rescue! And it worked -- Confessions and Hung Up broke records around the world. The funny thing is, thematically, Confessions is just American Life with a disco beat. The fame stuff, shattering illusions, it's all still there, just gussied up in a pink leotard. And it's amazing. The mammoth beat of Hung Up is impossible to resist and it paves the way for a surprisingly personal dance record. Get Together tugs at your heart while Let It Will Be may just be the funnest (and quirkiest) paean to accepting life's disappointments ever recorded. Forget Abba on ecstasy, it's Easy Ride on ecstasy.

Favorite songs: Future Lovers, Get Together, Let It Will Be

Ray of Light I remember when MTV was gearing up for the premier of the Frozen video in early 1998. They were running teasers featuring only a brief clip of the video accompanied by a snippet of the song. Those pulsating drums in the clip would send a jolt of excitement shooting up my spine every time I heard them. Even my friends who weren't into M were curious about the song and album. When it hit it was unreal how it seemed the entire world was tuned in to see this "new" Madonna and hear what she had to say. It was amazing, not like I'd seen since 1990. That clip and the ensuing hysteria is a microcosm of the whole album and era. Frozen still sends a jolt up my spine today.

Favorite songs: Skin, Swim, Candy Perfume Girl, Mer Girl

Erotica Erotica is aggressive, abrasive, angry, decadent, silly, and smart -- and utterly brilliant. For the first time M got real -- truly real -- about life and love: the ups and downs (not that kind..mostly), the good and bad, and everything in between. She's swooning with love one minute (Deeper and Deeper, Fever), and bitter and broken the next (Waiting, Words), and sometimes she just needs a minute to herself (Secret Garden, In This Life). And luckily for us she's willing to share the experiences. Make no mistake, from the bleeped ending of the tinny, shrill Bye Bye Baby to the warm sunshine that comes bursting forth during Rain's middle-8, Erotica is top-shelf Madonna, the best you're gonna get.

Favorite songs: Words, Secret Garden, Waiting, Bye Bye Baby, Rain

For me, it's really hard to "Rank" Madonna's albums in a specific order since each of them got a hell alot of play and contains atleast one ultimate fav track that made me fall in love with Madonna all over again. I only rank them this way based on which albums I can currently play over and over. And that can easily change depending how I feel. So obviously, this is subjective...

12. EROTICA: In retrospect, this is a solid and underappreciative album. Lyrically probably one her bests along side 'Ray of Light' and 'Like A Prayer'. I still laugh everytime I listen to "Where Life Begins" when she says, "Colonel Sanders says it best! Finger lickin' Good!" And while I do not really like the instrumentation of "Secret Garden", the lyrics are pure poetic. She brought classic Madonna with "Deeper and "Deeper", and a classic M. ballad with "Bad Girl". I love how she took us on this sexual journey and then took on once again, being the voice for Aids awareness and trying to unite people with songs like "In This Life" and "Why's It So Hard?" The two songs I cannot get into is "Waiting" and the track that samples it "Did You Do It?" The latter song is easily disposed for me.

Ultimate fav track: "Rain" (Beautiful love song! At the time, it was sorta different from her past classic ballads).

11. Bedtime Stories: This album was a perfect wind down to whom she was prior. While it seemed to bring out a more softer side of Madonna, it still included a few songs and lyrics which pretty much said "Fuck You, I am who I am, and I am not gonna stop". Not only that, it brought back out the brassy and forward Madonna that we all love with it's last two singles, "Bedtime Story" (promo special) and "Human Nature" (which seems to be a staple theme song for Madonna on her tours). That said, we still did get a lush R&B sound that shows off her beautiful voice as well as a preview of what was to come. I did feel like she did jumped on the Babyface wagon a little too late, but that said, I really liked the collaborations they did on this album. I don't think the whole album flows completely well. Though, it's still quite enjoyable. The softer songs were a pre-lude to her compiliation "Something To Remember" while songs like "Bedtime Story" and "Sanctuary" gave us a glimpse of what was possibly to come with 'Ray of Light'. 'Bedtime Stories' seemed to sum up the persona she built up throughout the late 80's and early 90's, and it was evident she was about to turn the page and re-invent herself once again (See 'Ray of Light').

Ultimate fav track: "Take A Bow" (Fell in love with it when I first heard a snippet of it before the album was released. It's like a beautiful lullabye).

10. MDNA: Like "Bedtime Stories", I feel this album is a transition album into something great to come... at least that's what I'm hoping. I feel like we got a mix bag of current sounds and some possible future sounds she may be thinking of tackling. The more I learned in the development of the album, the more I realized, I didn't feel like she wasn't sure where to go with this one. I also feel like, she may have been the least connected with this album as it seems a number of the songs were given to her. But of course, she put her own spin on them. "Gang Bang" is definitely proof of that. There is definitely some darkness to this album. She tried to connect with a number of songs which obviously were about her marriage and relationships that were cut loose. I'm one of the few who really adore "Give Me All Your Luvin'". Certainly, it's a cheesy pop song, but it's fun in nature much like her songs of the past such as "True Blue", "Cherish" and "Material Girl". Of course, I am not comparing the songs, but I just felt the songs and videos came out 'tongue and cheek'. I also felt GMAYL was a perfect song to use for the Superbowl. It had a bit of the nostalgic classic Madonna to it with a bit of current sounds with the rap. "Girl Gone Wild" is another song that screams current mainstream pop. I still think that if this song was released by any other well known female pop star that was much younger, it would have been a hit. I feel like this was perfect for radio and mainstream success. The same goes for "Turn Up The Radio". Yes, they are the fluffier songs on the album, but they were pure fun. As for the order of the tracks and what went on what part of the album, I don't care. Albums, unfortunately are not a huge deal anymore. In this digital age, most zoom in on particular tracks. The highlights for me are "Gang Bang", "Girl Gone Wild", "Love Spent","Masterpiece", "Beautiful Killer" (classic Madonna sound), "I Don't Give a" and....

Ultimate fav track: "Falling Free" (Every song that involves Joe Henry and Madonna are my favs).

9. Hard Candy: Once again like on 'Bedtime Stories', I felt she jumped on the bandwagon a little too late regarding those she collaborated with on 'Hard Candy'. Still, it's a very enjoyable album. "4 Minutes" made total sense as the first single. It may have come off more like of a Timberlake song than Madonna, but I really feel that at this stage in her career, no other song from this album without him or Timbaland would have been as successful as this one apart to maybe "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You". I feel this was the album she was trying to get back in the good graces of the U.S. audience. So she capitalize on R&B sounds that were previously flooding current pop radio. Again, I think she jumped on that wagon a little too late. Still, she managed to carve out some great sounding tracks. "She's Not Me" comes to mind as pure classic Madonna. I also felt the sound of "Dance 2night" is reminiscent of "Keep It Together". I loved "Miles Away", but I really thought "Devil..." was the stronger ballad song and could have been a potential hit if radio was willing to play it. "Beat Goes On" probably should have been the single over "Give it 2 Me" as it seemed to have more mainstream appeal. I do feel that this album will definitely feel dated (if not already} as time goes on. It's flavored with what was already current and may have been a bigger hit album for her if it was released a year or two before.

Ultimate fav. track: "Devil Wouldn't Recognize Me" (I know some despise that it's peppered with the Timbaland sound, but I love their previous work on One Republic's "Apologize" and a couple of Timberlake's songs).

8. American Life: This was Madonna being her most pro-active at best. Too many fans gave her shit about this era in her life, being involved in the Kaballah and being tied down to Guy Ritchie. Though, I feel this is probably one of her most utmost honest albums. It definitely is underrated. The problem is that all the press she was doing for the album was during a volatile time. She spent more time talking or being asked about the state of the world, rather what was on the album... which was pretty strange since she performed a number of the songs live. Not that I have an issue with her talking politics, but unfortunately, 'American Life" became labeled more of an "anti-war/American" album when it was nothing of the kind. Not even the title track was about the war. Though, the artwork and original video did convey differently. I feel people became confused or turned off by her at this point. I do understand why she scrapped the release of the video. I don't think she lost her balls here. I just felt like she put things in perspective. She saw what happened to the lead singer of "Dixie Chicks" when she spoke out against what the president was doing at the time. I felt she thought of her family first. I commend her for that because up until she had a family, it was always about her, her, her. Of course back then, she'd probably release such a politically charged video, but she now had a family. Nevertheless, the album is pretty great. I love the folksy sounds blended with the electronic sounds. I loved seeing Madonna behind the acoustic guitar on some of these songs. Classic Madonna blended with electronicdonna with songs "Nobody Knows Me" and "Hollywood". The music for "Mother and Father" is definitely another classic for Madonna. The lyrics... meh!?!?. I do feel people may look back on this album in the future and give it more respect, or maybe I'm just dreamin'. I'm actually hoping she'll do a strip down folksy acoustic type album in the future perferably with Joe Henry.

Ultimate fav. track: "X-Static Process" (Beautiful guitar and mesh of harmonies.)

7. Like A Virgin: I absolutely hate that I couldn't get this one into the top 5, but I have to be totally honest with myself. Her debut album and and number of her future albums were top notch compared to 'Like A Virgin'. That said, it's still what made her a household name throughout American. While the 'Madonna' album was obviously her "break out" album, it wasn't until this album came out that her image, persona and name went hand in hand. All the girls wanted to be like her. It was a time where it was cool for gals and guys to like her. It began the evolution of her becoming a mega-star. Unfortunately, the album is quite dated. It's definitely chalked full of date 80's sound. Still, she managed to pull out classic Madonna with "Material Girl", "Dress You Up" and "Like A Virgin". Personally, I am not a huge fan of the title track, I do prefer a number of other tracks over "Like A Virgin". I absolutely adore "Stay". I remember sitting by my cassette radio at the time, waiting to hear/record "Angel" and "Into The Groove" when both were on the radio simultaneously. It was before I owned a Madonna record and it was the pre-lude to me becoming a huge fan.

Ultimate fav. track: "Stay".

6. Music: I really feel this was a perfect follow up to the 'Ray of Light' album. It also gave us a little glimpse in which direction Madonna was heading with 'American Life'. Love the mix of both Mirwaiis and Orbit throughout the album. I also feel this was the last album that globally she was given mainstream top 40 radio success... especially in the U.S. I think it went downhill from here where radio stopped playing her new music to some degree. The title song was a perfect anthem to sum up the career she's had before within music. It was like she was channeling her earlier party dance hits like "Everybody", "Holiday", "Into The Groove", "Where's the Party" and "Vogue" all into one song. She's right "Music does bring people together" even if it's just for a short time. I feel she etched another classic Madonna song in her catalog. The follow up single, was definitely a highlight for me as it brought together a bit of folk/country/electronica and pop in one song. I loved the message she was singing about never telling her stop. It's every reason why I think she and Joe Henry should do a whole album together. Maybe it's too late, but I still would like to see it happen. I'm one of the very few here probably believes "Amazing" would have been a better third if not fourth single. As for "What it Feels For A Girl", it's a lovely song, but I do love the mix they used for the video. I also loved the video even though I think Madonna and her people try to make it more controversial than it was. Still, a great video accompanied the song. The ending song "Gone" was once again a perfect closing song to open the doors of what became the album 'American Life'.

Ultimate fav track: "Don't Tell Me"

5. Madonna: Classic 80's album. I have to agree with everyone and anyone, this album is chalked full of dance/pop songs that define what the early to mid 80's were about in music. This is the album where Madonna was carving herself out a piece of the 80's and managed a grab huge hunk for heself. And while I agree, he voice wasn't something out of this world, I do think that between her distinct sound and voice as well as image is what captivated people. I really hadn't known Madonna at this point of her career. I've heard of her songs, but didn't associate her name with this album until a year later when Madonnamania started. I'll never forget wearing out this album dancing to songs like "Holiday", "Lucky Star", "Physical Attraction" and "Think of Me". Oddly enough, I never warmed up to her first top 10 song, "Borderline". Of course these days, I have total appreciation for it. But I never understood how that song did much better than the many other songs on that album apart to "Lucky Star" which I believe took a re-release to get it to the top 5.

Ultimate fav track: "Burning Up" (In fact, it may be my most favorite track by her ever!)

4. Confession on a Dance floor: To me this is Madonna coming full circle to her earlier work with her first album and 'True Blue', but with a more futuristic electronic sound. I'm so glad she and Stuart Price worked together on this. And I secretly wish they worked together again on a future album. "Get Together" is so classic Madonna with a futuristic sound. It combines the very theme "Holiday", "Everybody" and "Music" were going for. But of course, it's not as good as those three, but it's still great to have on that album. "Hung Up" didn't really ring well with me. I like it, but I really felt it wasn't really a strong first single. I really felt a lot of emphasis was being put on the Abba sample. Nevertheless, it was a huge hit world-wide as the album. "Push" is one of my favorite tracks on the album and thought it would have been great as a single. It was definitely the one song that fit current mainstream radio... at least in the U.S. I do remember thinking when the title of the songs leaked, they were fake. Some of them were so minimalistic... too simple. But once I heard the album, the titles didn't matter anymore. It is probably one of her most cohesive albums from start to finish. I remember thinking how odd she would write and name another song called "Forbidden Love". I do wish this album got more love in the U.S. than it did. It seemed by the second single, the album kept soaring internationally.

Ultimate fav track: Sorry (Classic Madonna!)

3. True Blue: This is the album that made me a complete loon. I would have put this #1, but she simply blew me away again after this album. It's not really a deep and personal album either. Though, it's freakintastic anyway from start to finish. It was "Live to Tell" that reeled me in as a huge fan. That video! That voice! The whole transformation! Pefection. My heart swooned several times within this era. And OMG, when I saw the album cover and when she cut her hair shorter and then "Papa Don't Preach". Lock me up now! I went too loonvile!! Ha! The five singles from this album were like a different and new Madonna each time. And wow... "La Isla Bonita"... just beautiful!! It was with this album where I started collecting everything and anything regarding Madonna. I remember being so disappointed thinking that Madonna hadn't filmed a video for the song "True Blue", since their was a huge deal with the "Make My Video Contest" on MTV. It took me sometime to realize there was an actual video, but it was rarely shown on U.S. MTV. Though thank gawd, for the Madonnathons on MTV because I eventually caught it. This was the year, I sat next to my parents VCR recording every video she filmed. I remember at the time "Burning Up" and "Everybody" was rare to catch. At the time, everyone thought she had matured, and she did, but guess what? Her next studio album showed even more maturity in her writing, etc. 'True Blue' immortalize Madonna into a international mega star. She was referred and respected as much as Michael Jackson, U2, Tina Turner, and Bruce Springsteen. This album definitely is an example of great pop and played a huge part in pop culture at the time.

Ultimate fav track: "Live To Tell" (Next to "Take A Bow", it's my most favorite Madonna ballad) .

2. Like A Prayer: 'True Blue' may have been the first signs of her maturing in music, but it was this album we got a more personal and reflective Madonna. Her vocals sounded more emotional and raw. Once again, she floored me with her look with the title track's video as well as all the promotion leading up to it. I remember sititing by the television set to record the Pepsi commercial during the Cosby Show. I remember all the controversy that followed the next day and weeks after once the original video aired on MTV. Madonna proved that she had staying power with this album. She managed to dupe Pepsi by not really promoting shit with them, yet all the publicity that some of the public and Pepsi made of her Like A Prayer video, allowed her to laugh all the way to he bank. If I recall, she was able to keep half of the money ($5 million dollars) they already paid her since they broke the contract with her. Once again, Madonna took over MTV many times with weekend long Madonnathons. From start to finish, I was memorized by the sounds, lyrics and images she projected from the album. I still remember the scent (patchouli oil) that was packaged with the album. It was the first studio album I knew of far in advance and remember sitting in my bedroom, browsing through the lyrics while listening to the songs. I recall upon first listening, favoring "Keep it Together" over "Express Yourself" (It wasn't until I heard the 7 inch remix when I became strongly attached to "Express Yourself"). I guess "Keep It Together at the time resonated more with me because I was the middle child in the family and sometimes felt like the "clown" as well. Each video from this album again, showed us a different side of Madonna. If anything, this album will probably be most remembered by the mainstream simply for it's iconic tite track "Like A Prayer". I feel it's the one song that most people think of (especially casual and non-fans who are familiar with her work) when thinking of Madonna. The album is quite the journey where it takes you on a spiritual awakening, to not being afraid to express yourself, to her rocky marriage, to the beautiful ballad in memory of her mother ("Promise To Try") to a fun classic pop song, to family issues and back to spiritual. This is definitely one of at least three albums that a fan should own if they truly believe they are a "true blue" fan.

Ultimate fav. track: Well, of course "Like A Prayer".

1. Ray of Light: This album simply redifined Madonna's status in the music world. Everything you knew of Madonna before pretty much was thrown out the window... well at least for awhile that is. This album is genious. Before this, she was still battling being taken seriously as a musician. A lot of people still had her pegged as sexy pop tart from the 80's and early 90's that may have taken it too far. This album proved once again there is more to Madonna then catchy pop songs, sex, and controversy. What's even more, this was truly a spiritual awakening for Madonna. This is the person she evolved into. Shortly before that, with Evita and having a child, a lot of people were giving her much more due respect. This album only amplified it more and gave her real credibility in the music world. The lyrics are her best to date. They are profound, poetic and thought provoking. Her work with William Orbit was perfect at the time and could never be duplicated again. I know she worked with William several times after, but nothing has compared since this album. I absolutely love songs like "Drowned World...", "Swim", "The Power Of Goodbye", and "Mer Girl". "Ray of Light", the song seemed to be another great dance anthem remembered in her catalog. It's definitely a song she'll pull out more than once in the future when touring. The haunting sounds from "Frozen" and "Mer Girl" are just beautiful. I'm afraid to think where Madonna would be without this album in her resume'. I do understand why some fans expect more from her after this album. She proves she can deliver a well written and composed album. The problem is, this isn't what Madonna is most remembered as. It's part of her legacy... a big part of it, but most people revert back to the 80's Madonna. I think as she gets older it may be easier to write more serious stuff, but I don't think it will have the same impact as 'Ray of Light" did at the time. But who knows? Anything can happen. All I know is that I absolutely loved how she evolved into this era. It's definitely her best work yet.

Ultimate fav. track: Mer Girl (It definitely is a darker side of her writing we never got to see until then).

Guest bluejean

I'm not going to write reviews. Fuck that. But here's my ranking:

1. Ray of Light

2. Like a Prayer

3. Confessions On A Dance Floor

4. Madonna

5. Music

6. Erotica

7. Bedtime Stories

8. True Blue

9. Hard Candy

10. MDNA

11. American Life

12. I'm Breathless

13. Like a Virgin

I too can't be arsed with my reviews as it would only be subjective.

As a life long fan the following ranking is based on quality and most listened to on my part.

1. Erotica

2. Madonna

3. Confessions On A Dancefloor

4. Bedtime Stories

5. Ray Of Light

6. Like A Prayer

7. True Blue

8. Music

9. Like A Virgin

10. I'm Breathless

11. Hard Candy

12. American Life

13. MDNA

Guest SecretGarden

I'll post my in depth reviews later, but here is my ranking

13. MDNA

12. Hard Candy

11. Like a Virgin

10. I'm Breathless

9. Madonna

8. True Blue

7. American Life

6. Bedtime Stories

5. Confessions on a Dancefloor

4. Music

3. Like a Prayer

2. Ray of Light

1. Erotica

Doing this drunkish and this changes every week, but for tonight...

Music

Erotica

American Life

Confessions On A Dance Floor

Ray Of Light

Like A Prayer

Madonna

MDNA

Like A Virgin

Bedtime Stories

True Blue

I'm Breathless