Appreciate Erotica's Trifecta of Perfection

XXL

In terms of song order, this album really can't be beat, especially the 3 you mentioned, but like boy skeffington said, add Bad Girl to the list.

I swear I had this same thought the other day

Except I included BAD GIRL and thought how these four songs together tell such a story

You're right! I didn't put it in because to me that's always been a granted notion

I've always adored that song

But yes, we could make it a quadrifecta because Bad Girl is phenomenal indeed

I wish she hadn't confined its performance to SNL only

Here's an idea for the next tour:

Gambler, Bad Girl and You'll See done in a way that's very close to the original

No more major reworkings (for certain songs at least)

Guest SecretGarden

This album has some of her best song writing and vocals, it's still very fresh to my ears and such a mature album. I wish she incorporates more jazz influences into her future works like she did on Erotica.

I can listen to this album from start to end and never tire from it, one of her best records.

In terms of song order, this album really can't be beat, especially the 3 you mentioned, but like boy skeffington said, add Bad Girl to the list.

Def!

I guess I just started with the idea of picking a trifecta of goods outside of the non-singles from this record

If I had to choose among the 5 singles released for it they would be BG and Erotica for sure

And the enthralling, madjestic accompanying videos of course

my favorite album by her. It's one of those albums that you listen to by yourself. The songs really tell a story and have an emotion that can't compare to her other work, in my opinion. I became a fan in 1991 right before the album was released, love it

This album has some of her best song writing and vocals, it's still very fresh to my ears and such a mature album. I wish she incorporates more jazz influences into her future works like she did on Erotica.

I can listen to this album from start to end and never tire from it, one of her best records.

Agreed 100%. I was thinking this exact same sentiment yesterday as I was having a Words on-repeat party. I kept thinking how brilliant and perfect the entire Erotica album is. The maturity, sensuality, and sophistication of Erotica stands alone amongst her albums. For me, that is what is missing from her latest work, I want to hear Madonna sing about life in a poetic, adult and mature way, enough of the "girl having fun at the club" and "give me your love you superstar" fluff-fluff.

And If I had to add another song to those 5 from the album it would be Secret Garden. I loved everything about this record, the music, the lyrics, the message, the substance, the controversy and the way she sang it. Highlights of its live rendition are definitely: Bad Girl on SNL, In This Life and Rain on GS. Perfect voice :dramatic:

But yes, having to pick something representative of the whole production outside of the singles choice Waiting, Words and Thief of Hearts are my all time favs

I wish she had released Bad Girl after Erotica as she intended to do. That 'damage control' they did with Deeper and Deeper was good, but Bad Girl was just perfect as a "oh my god, what have i done" moment.

I love to blast Thief of Hearts when I'm driving. When it gets to the end and it's just her singing "Thief" with the echo... :drama: Gay Heaven.

i listened to that album every day for about 2 years after it's release, it still sounds amazing now and i'm glad it's in most fans top 3 m albums. the mtv weekends dedicated to her at the time were epic

Amen.

I wish she had released Bad Girl after Erotica as she intended to do. That 'damage control' they did with Deeper and Deeper was good, but Bad Girl was just perfect as a "oh my god, what have i done" moment.

Wasn't the video for Bad Girl supposed to be very sexual as well? I still agree with you, though. Bad Girl was praised by the critics and Deeper and Deeper was a safe hit anyways so this could've worked.

Words could've done well as a single imo as well. I don't get why they released Bye Bye Baby, though.

I don't know why Bye Bye Baby didn't get a full release, especially in the US since she opened the VMA's that year with that song. Didn't people at home go, "what song is this?" when she performed it?

It could have been a top 40 hit.....