Nile Rogers on Madonna

elijah

She should honestly work with him again for her next record. I decided.

I have actually been listening to Like a Virgin a lot lately and I think its pretty underrated.

LAV is one of her worst albums. She did great when she moved to Leonard! It is him who she should be writing songs with at the moment!

The album LAV is a bit underrated but CERTAINLY NOT the song :scared:

I think you needed to be there at the time. Looking back it may seem like a frothy pop song but at that point in the 80s it was a major cultural event completely redefining women in rock music and how they were perceived. Forget the idiocy of the Spice Girls' 'girl power', this was 12 years ahead of that. This is the song that made Madonna a global popstar and is one of the defining songs of the 80s.

I think you needed to be there at the time. Looking back it may seem like a frothy pop song but at that point in the 80s it was a major cultural event completely redefining women in rock music and how they were perceived. Forget the idiocy of the Spice Girls' 'girl power', this was 12 years ahead of that. This is the song that made Madonna a global popstar and is one of the defining songs of the 80s.

Jonski, agree entirely with you. I know a lot of people seem to hate Like a Virgin but it really was the song that turned her into a global megastar. When I first heard this song, I thought it was so catchy and different. I think that some Madonna fans probably think it is over-played but in general people just loved it and still do. The song rocketed to number 1 on the charts and the glamourous, sexy video was also so refreshing,. Was such an escape into fantasy with Venice and its sights and also was very romantic. It was exciting to watch Madonna become the biggest star in the world and this was the song that really propelled her there.

Like A Virgin is pure 80's It's a collection of catchy singles that are meant be fun and cool. Ironically I think Shoo Bee Doo is one of the more mature songs on the album and I think it's underrated. It's a sweet song. Like A Virgin, Angel, Material Girl, Dress You Up are classics. I remember buying the single for Like A Virgin. Love the song!

Bored of hearing about this 'sex' anecdote, but it is interesting to hear why they never worked together again. Does anyone know what percentage Nile took as a royalty for Like A Virgin?

Why does he keep bringing this up?

What? The part where Madonna asks why Nile didn't want to sleep with her? He didn't bring it up at all - the interviewer did.....

I think he was spot on when he said that he thinks his ridiculously high royalty rate is what ensured that he only worked with Madonna on one album. He would have made an absolute fortune on that deal (and he'd still be making money on it today). Those hoping Madonna and Nile will work together again will never have their hopes realised, as that 1984 contract means that even if they record something in 2034, he'll still get the ridiculously high royalty rate that he negotiated 50 years earlier.

I agree with Jazzyjan and Jonski - LAV was a cultural phenomenon. I was a kid when it was released (my mother was mortified that I wanted to buy a single with such a scandalous title - "Isn't there another single that you'd like to buy? That one sounds a bit racy!" :) ). It was absolutely massive and even managed to outsell Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" in the lead up to Christmas in Australia that year. While it doesn't hold a candle to her own classic compositions of the era (e.g. LTT, LIB, ITG), it's a pop classic in its own right and it have EVERYONE talking back then.

Interesting side note - I walked into my classroom a few weeks ago to find two of my Year 12 students (who were born 12 years after LAV was released) happily translating the lyrics of the song into Italian on the whiteboard. I was impressed :)

I think Like a Virgin is one of the sexiest songs ever. I love it.

:clap: :clap:

:bow: :bow:

I think Like a Virgin is one of the sexiest songs ever. I love it.

The album is by far her weakest though.

LAV made Madonna a global superstar in 85 but, oddly, the two biggest hits of that year for her, Crazy For You and Into The Groove, weren't on the album. Had those singles never existed along with Gambler and Holiday recharting in the UK, the LAV era does look weaker. I like Angel but it is quite a simple song and I was surprised when it was released. Adding ITG to the European release does make LAV a much stronger album.

It was interesting that NR was saying how the record company really didn't think she would sell many records. I wonder if she would have worked with him anyway as we know she moves from producer to producer for each album. I was pleased he confirmed they were still friends when he told a story about passing out at her party in 94 which was the reason he went into rehab.