Metroweekly Ranking Madonna's 12 Albums

Guest groovyguy

I always thought the reason people don't include I'm Breathless is because it's not pop music like her other records, not because it's tied to another project. What if she did a concept album tied to a film that was pop, dance, R&B or rock? Would it be included then? To me a studio album is anything recorded in a studio, rather than a live album. I think an album connected to a movie should be included as long as all the songs are sung by her. But you shouldn't include soundtrack albums like Who's that Girl where there are songs performed by other artists.

I would like another concept album like this from Madonna. I would love it if those "Endzone" rumors from early this year ended up being true. A concept album attached to the Secret Project. :dramatic:

What if it were to sell 10 million copies and gain the most critical acclaim of anything she's recorded?? :chuckle: Would there be any argument about it being a REAL Madonna album??

Probably by bitter Gaga munsters..

It's absolutely true to say she's not produced one single bad album, but my list would have to be:

13 MDNA

12 I'm Breathless

11 Hard Candy

10 Bedtime Stories

09 Confessions On A Dancefloor

08 Like A Virgin

07 Music

06 American Life

05 True Blue

04 Madonna

03 Erotica

02 Ray Of Light

01 Like A Prayer

13. ROL

12. Confessions

11. Like A Prayer

10. True Blue

9. Like A Virgin

8. Madonna

7. American Life

6. MDNA

5. Im Breathless

4. Music

3. Hard Candy

2. Bedtime Stories

1. Erotica

The same goes for calling Erotica her best or second best album. As underrated as it was when it came out, it's the most overrated of them all nowadays!

I think the most overrated is definitively Ray of Light. I LOVE that album but i think Like a Prayer and Erotica are WAY better.

I like Erotica, but it doesn't have a patch on LAP and ROL.Those two albums show what a musical force she is; Erotica doesn't.

TOTALLY disagree. I think a lot of people are saying that only because Erotica flopped and the others two albums didn't.

^ I can see HolidayGuy's point. LAP and ROL are much more diverse and interesting musically - probably because of Patrick Leonard. Erotica is largely about the lyrics/personality/attitude and the production. LAP and ROL are also more intentionally personal. Erotica is very revealing, but you get the sense that Madonna didn't really intend for it to be... but I digress...