Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jazzyjan

Loving Olivia Newton John, The real queen of Australian pop

303 posts in this topic

I love this performance :) I like it better with the white version of the same outfit though

A veronique sanson cover !!!

:) She also performed it live in Nana Mouskouri's UK TC show :)

She also covered Quand on n'a que l'amour on her 2nd album

Olivia+Newton+John+-+Greatest+Hits+-+LP+

When I was little and went to visit my Aunt, she would often play this album by Olivia. I then used to always ask her to play the album of that "pretty lady who looks like an angel on the cover." :laugh: I think that is why I also have such an emotional connection to Sam and Please Mr Please as they were my favourites all those years ago. I also still think Olivia looks so beautiful on this cover.

I love the photos on that album, the inlay one on her couch is amazing too.

God as a kid I loved Olivia. Then when I got to interview her for the 25th anniversary re-release of Grease, she was really grumpy. I was actually, genuinely gutted.

Still a great singer though.... Make A Move On Me, A Little More Love and The Right Moment are just ace.

Menopause confirmed that day maybe

No, that was some years later. It was clear she didn't want to be doing promotion that day and was snippy with other journalists I know who were doing her. We were only talking about the film though, not about her personal life so I'm not sure why she was such a bitch.

^ Thanks! I don't remember seeing that video. The song is amazing. I didn't understand why she didn't build an album with Deeper than a River, Not Gonna Be The One, I Want To Be Wanted, and I Need Love. I mean they are great songs.

A lot of the reasons I love Olivia are the reasons I love Madonna.

Unfortunately she didn't have time to promote everything enough because she was diagnosted with breast cancer the same week her father died :(

Incredible beautiful and feminine at World Music Awards.

Yes, my mistake, the disappearance thing happened in 2005 or so.

Maybe she was finally tired of rehashing the same Grease stuff all over again :lol: she had just done tons of tv show in 1998 for the 20th anniversary, and some more in 2002 for the first DVD release... so I guess you met her in 2003 ?

Unfortunately she didn't have time to promote everything enough because she was diagnosted with breast cancer the same week her father died :(

Incredible beautiful and feminine at World Music Awards.

She was really beautiful then. She performed this song live twice : once on Arsenio, the other time at the Dennis Miller Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E8tJkMze9U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVksrBqjYfk

"I Need Love" deserved better than No. 96 on the Hot 100. :angry:

My sister had that first Olivia GH, so that's when I started liking her.

I have the DVD of one of her concerts in Australia. She performs some songs she hadn't done in a while.

The concert that has casual clips of her between songs ? I still haven't watched this in full.

was Olivia the Queen of pop pre madonna??

I have a whole theory on that :lol: I'll elaborate later, gotta go now :p

I have a whole theory on that :lol: I'll elaborate later, gotta go now :p

thanks I'd love to read that, I only know of Olivia through Grease and Let's get physical, *shame*

It feels as if pop didn't exist before the 80's. The first music I remember was the either feel-good 70's music or disco. Olivia was doing country or ballads at the time. A lot of the singer songwriters in the 70's were considered rock or soft rock. I think pop since the eighties has been a combination of 60's pop and dance music. Madonna really brought this forth. Olivia should be a queen of something though. She could be queen of the mellow 70's or music but Karen Carpenter could also have been.

Looking up pop music in the 60's it seemed to be broken into different genres and not just considered pop.

Here's my theory

I'd say no. Mainly because, as Larkspur pointed out, Olivia did mainly country/pop in the US, after having started with folk-ish music in the UK ( Banks of the Ohio, for instance )

Her musical career is really mirrored in her Sandy character from Grease : the movie gave her the opportunity to try something not as mellow as she did before. Her last studio album before that, Making A Good Thing Better ( the one that includes DCFMA )got "nice" reviews, mainly focusing on the 2 photos from the album cover. So when she released Totally Hot, she really went into pop ( though you have hints of country with Dancin' 'round and 'round or Never enough ) and went on with the Xanadu soundtrack, Physical, the GH album, the TOAK soundtrack... Physical is the song that stayed #1 on the Hot 100 for the longest time in the 80s (10 weeks) and everything pre-1985 was kind of a hit for her.

Still, I don't think she could be labelled "Pre-Madonna Queen of Pop" mainly because, as you can realize now if you take a retrospective look, she didn't have that much of an impact - her thing is, you tend to forget about her but mention her name and it's like "oh yeah, there was Olivia too !"

But in some way, and that would be theory, I think she sort of opened a door : in spite of its aerobic-themed video, Physical is a song by a very popular woman at the time of its relase, and she sings about her wanting to have sex. For someone who enjoyed such popularity at the time, it was really risky. Around the same time, Madonna was working on her first album. Call me a fool (but I know I'm not, haha) but I think that if Physical Attraction wasn't released as a single, it may be because it would have sounded redundant with Olivia's song ( the way both singers repeat the word physical at some point in their respective songs, or the release dates that were not that far apart ).

I'm not questioning M's ability to push the envelope at all, but would she have been that provocative and sexy and all without, amongst others for sure, Olivia's provocative makeover ? She probably would, but we'll never know.

The other thing that wouldn't make Olivia a queen of pop like Madonna is the time when bot had their breakout and popularity peak : Madonna enjoyed the MTV exposure for her whole career, while it only happened at the end of Olivia's prime (and I'm not even sure she was really played on MTV, she was more VH-1 material)

I wonder how things would have been for Olivia if she was more agressive in promoting her music during the 80s : in 1988, The Rumour was really critically acclaimed, and I think it's very good musically but maybe she was already too old (turning 40 at that point) and that album really was social conscious (songs dealing with AIDS, environment, single parenting...)

Anyway...

She looked amazing in that cheesy Italian TV show :lol: those dancers are something else, really :p

But she's not singing live there.