MadonnaNation.com Forums
Jazzy Jan

Loving Olivia Newton John, The real queen of Australian pop

46 minutes ago, BlankFormatted said:

Well, I think she looks nothing like Olivia - maybe I'll watch the movie when it's available, though I doubt I'll learn anything new from it

I agree, she does not look like Olivia.  

Delta and Olivia have performed together and Olivia is her idol. 

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:10 PM, BlankFormatted said:

Hell yeah !

maxresdefault.jpg

:wow::inlove:

Had Madonna invited Olivia to be her UB of the evening in Melbourne you know she would have never answered she was going to be there in spirit

And doing that via an IG post!

Well, I got to interview one of my favorite females ever. :inlove: I also made the piece(s) more than the typical Q&A. Hope the Olivia fans enjoy it.

Olivia Newton-John to ‘Liv On,’ showcase iconic career in Easton

Newton-John pulled ‘a Sandy’ after ‘Grease,’ reigned as soundtracks queen

37 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

Well, I got to interview one of my favorite females ever. :inlove: I also made the piece(s) more than the typical Q&A. Hope the Olivia fans enjoy it.

Thank you.  Loved reading these so much.  You definitely know all things Olivia and it shows big time.   I love that you talked about the Physical album having video clips for each song way before Beyonce keeps being praised as the first one and also about how so many singers could learn from how Olivia sang.  

Have always adored her voice and how much feeling, warmth and personality she put into her songs.  Like Madonna, she is extremely versatile as a singer.  Can sing the most tender ballads and also tackle some of the sexiest pop songs such as A little more love, Totally hot and Make a move on me and sound at home.  Also how she become one of the greatest cross over singers - from country to pop.  Love that you mentioned that and how rare it is.   She is extremely under-rated as a singer, pop star and influence.   Such a beautiful woman in both looks and personality.  

Olivia was the first singer that I fell in love with. Still love her. :inlove:

No problem, and thanks, jazzyjan. :gent:

She is someone to be appreciated- seeing her in concert for the first time on Thursday- and I may get to meet her, so hopefully I won't hyperventilate or anything.

Last night, we saw Air Supply (one of my favorite early 1980s acts- oh, hose love songs hehe) Both guys actually came out to the audience and walked around- was very cool.

1 hour ago, Suedehead said:

QUEEN OF AUSTRALIAN POP! 

Yes !  The greatest superstar singer to come from Australia.  She is like a goddess here in every way. 

28 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

No problem, and thanks, jazzyjan. :gent:

She is someone to be appreciated- seeing her in concert for the first time on Thursday- and I may get to meet her, so hopefully I won't hyperventilate or anything.

Last night, we saw Air Supply (one of my favorite early 1980s acts- oh, hose love songs hehe) Both guys actually came out to the audience and walked around- was very cool.

Fantastic.  Hope you get to meet her.  I see her every time she tours and she never disappoints. 

Also, love Air Supply !   I have been waffling on in the Ed Sheeran bland thread :lol:  for a while now about how "easy listening"  music in the 80's  was actually beautiful and passionate.   Air Supply is a great example as they created some timeless ballads.  All out of love, Lost in Love, Here I am, The one that you love, Two less lonely people in the World,  Every woman in the world and Making love out of nothing at all.  What I call great easy listening love songs, not bland tuneless elevator music.  Their voices, the melodies.  Their ballads and love songs were genuinely beautiful, passionate and well crafted. 

It was a beautiful, warm spring day here yesterday.  I worked in the yard while I had Olivia, Karen & Madonna playing.  The three of them blended perfectly with the outdoors....birds chirping, warm breeze and melodic voices.  Didn't want the day to end.

One the other hand, Air Supply!!!  So many beautiful songs.  I also love Little River Band and have seen them several times in concert.  They sound as good today singing live.  Such passion, melodic voices and gorgeous harmonies. 

^Indeed. All enjoyable. :inlove:

When I spoke to Olivia, I asked if she would consider doing a snippet of "Livin' in Desperate Times," but she shot it down. :p Moreso for not pulling a surprise on the band. She's never performed the track.

Olivia was my favourite female singer - before Madonna came. I even loved her mega flopped movie Xanadu because her included songs are awesome: Xanadu, Suddenly and Magic - and she never looked better.

olivia-newton-john-910243.jpg

Olivia is  EVERYTHING. She has one of the most perfect, beautiful voices I've ever heard and yes she's gorgeous and seems sweet and down to earth.

What's there NOT to like?

I think my fave song of hers is probably "Magic".

Fantastic singer.

On 4/9/2017 at 10:56 PM, HolidayGuy said:

Great articles HG - thanks for the links

I love Livvie and love to play her albums on long road trips - i especially love blasting Depeer Than The Night - it's totally hot!

^Thanks.

Indeed "Deeper Than the Night" was, as it appeared on that album. :gent:

I updated the secondary article to include a mention of the Golden Globe nominations for "Grease." I debated mentioning that "Grease: Live" from last fall, and just gave it a quick mention.

Here is my take on the Olivia show last night. Also got to meet her and take a photo (I will see about posting when it becomes available).

With 'Grace and Gratitude,' Oilvia Newton-John wows Easton

Great review.  :thumbsup: Olivia is always lovely to see in concert. Her voice, personality and music never disappoints.   

I always loved "Don't cut me down"  when she sang it live.  I have never heard her do "the Promise"  live and would love to hear it.  Her deep love for animals and nature is inspiring. 

It is amazing just how many hits she has and how varied they are.  Glad you loved the concert. 

Thanks. :) Yes, "Don't Cut Me Down" is even better live. I adore "The Promise," as well. 

This isn't my favorite pic of myself, but it's with Olivia, so who cares, right? :p

J and ONJ.jpg

For me before M, it was ALL about Olivia, Donna and Diana! Pity that radio couldn't 'somehow' keep them all in the mix, on radio etc...but M was a Category 5 hurricane who just wiped everyone of them from that era away like overnight (1984/85)! lol 

Olivia was my favourite female singer - before Madonna came. I even loved her mega flopped movie Xanadu because her included songs are awesome: Xanadu, Suddenly and Magic - and she never looked better.

olivia-newton-john-910243.jpg

Don't be ashamed about loving Xanadu.:thumbsup:  I adore it.  It really is unique, colourful, fun, fast moving and the music is fantastic.  Olivia looked like a beautiful goddess and sang like one too.  It is a movie that is pure escapism and I think critics really missed the point when reviewing it.  It is not meant to be a dramatic masterpiece by any means of the imagination but pure fantasy and fun,. We all need some of that in our lives.  Considering all the praise La La Land got for its escapism, even ignoring how the leads could not sing or dance,  it puts everything in perspective with Xanadu. . The singing, dancing, costumes and settings were pure joy and fun.  

This isn't my favorite pic of myself, but it's with Olivia, so who cares, right? :p

J and ONJ.jpg

Fantastic !  

Don't be ashamed about loving Xanadu.:thumbsup:  I adore it.

I must admit I have seen it twice in the cinema and bought rollerskates after that! After Moulin Rouge and La La Land we could say, the movie was maybe far ahead of his time. 

I actually have not sat and watched the whole Xanadu- i know, :shock:. I mean, I haven't seen some of Madonna's movies, either, but given how much I adore the music and such, I will have to give Xanadu a proper viewing.

It's been more than two weeks since we saw the concert and Olivia, and it's still somewhat of a high. I posted the preview articles and concert review above, so if anyone loves ONJ, I hope you enjoy them. t:gent: