Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jazzyjan

Loving Olivia Newton John, The real queen of Australian pop

303 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is the correct section but who else loves Olivia Newton John ? To me, she has to be one of the most famous female singers of all time and has had some wonderful hit songs. I also am game enough to admit loving Xanadu - where else can you watch a movie where legendary Greek muses come alive and inspire men to open a roller-skating nightclub with Olivia being the beautiful muse Kira. I have seen Olivia live a few times and have loved her each time. She is a true international superstar being actually English but moving to Australia with her family when she was six and subsequently becoming a superstar in Australia. She then became a huge star in Europe and then the USA where she now lives.

I've been a huge fan for over 20 years now ! And A Little More Love is my favorite song of her (if not my favorite song EVER) and you just posted my favorite of the 3 videos for that song :blush:

Thief of hearts, wonderful to hear of another Olivia fan. Love your taste in music. :thumbsup: A little more love is such a great song and I love the way Olivia sings it.

Every time she does her own backing vocals, it's a gem. I also love Not gonna the one because of that :)

she shouldn't be in this section though :americanlife:

The fan I am agrees, but let's face it : since she married Matt Lattanzi and failed to succeed in the charts with Soul Kiss, she's a bit of a Queen of Flop : poor promotion of her new material, bad choices for singles (the Babyface revamped I honestly love you in 1998 was nice, but shouldn't have been the lead single for a pop/country album) and the constant Grease talk no matter what she does maintained her as a flop artist.

But the can still pull it out in the pop are : the song she recorded for the A Few Best Men soundtrack is awesome !

I guess you're right :dazed:

What are her best pop albums I should listen to?

I only really know the Grease soundtrack, the song Physical, Xanadu and those ballads I Honestly Love You and Hopelessly Devoted to You (neither of which excite me much.)

That's cool you've seen her live. She's definitely not a flop princess. Jan, What do you think of "Let's Get Physical?"

What are her best pop albums I should listen to?

I only really know the Grease soundtrack, the song Physical, Xanadu and those ballads I Honestly Love You and Hopelessly Devoted to You (neither of which excite me much.)

Totally Hot

Physical

Soul Kiss

The Rumour

Gaia - which is more "new age" stuff from the mid 90s

There is also the Two of a Kind soundtrack which is awesome with 4 Olivia songs (including a duet with Travolta), the 2 previously unreleased songs from her 1982 Greatest Hits album, and of course the whole Xanadu OST. Oh and the 4 new songs from Back to Basics, the 1992 compilation.

Love this woman, Jan. She's got such a lovely voice....

Physical, Landslide, Xanadu, I Honestly Love You, Make A Move On Me, A Little More Love....DIVINE!!!!!!!!!!!

Love her.

Love this woman, Jan. She's got such a lovely voice....

Physical, Landslide, Xanadu, I Honestly Love You, Make A Move On Me, A Little More Love....DIVINE!!!!!!!!!!!

Landslide :blush:

I love her. she has perfect pitch. ive been a fan since GREASE was in theatres when I was a kid. Back in the day my mom took me and my sister to see the LETS GET PHYSICAL tour. it was in an open air stadium and it rained all night. lol. Olivia said " I hope you guys don't drowned just to see my show! "

I did post this on the wrong section as Olivia is a superstar :laugh:

Wonderful to see so many others here loving her as well.

Sloane, I love the Physical song and all of the singles on the album. Physical was so controversial for it's time. Hard to believe it now,

More Olivia gems

I love her. she has perfect pitch. ive been a fan since GREASE was in theatres when I was a kid. Back in the day my mom took me and my sister to see the LETS GET PHYSICAL tour. it was in an open air stadium and it rained all night. lol. Olivia said " I hope you guys don't drowned just to see my show! "

You're so lucky !!! :dramatic:

My favorite era, looks-wise, would be Totally Hot :

600706_10151433450863738_825745194_n.jpg

The hair, those eyes... :dramatic:

Fun fact : did you know that the Physical album cover was the first one Herb Ritts ever did ? As the album was a hit, he used that pose at many occasions on his later work for album covers...

physical_us.jpg

Looks familiar ? :smile:

She is so great live. Her voice still holds up today. When you see her live you also marvel at how many hits she has had over her career. I saw her about 2 years ago at the Regent Theatre and she was still incredible.

Don't cry for me Argentina live @ the Sydney Opera House for a Royal Charity Concert in 1980

HDTY really is a beautiful song :blush: the live version from the 1978 TV special is ABBA is, IMO, her best vocal job on it

Oh yes, I saw that a few months ago. I enjoyed it but those Abba bitches really didn;t seem to enjoy the spotlight on Olivia.