THE 2013 MADONNANATION TOP 40

ryan

when will the rest of it be posted?

This is amazing btw thank you so much whoopie, one of the best parts about being an M fan on here, or even an M fan in general, is feeling part of such a broad and influential experience, and this really clarifies that.

This is amazing btw thank you so much whoopie, one of the best parts about being an M fan on here, or even an M fan in general, is feeling part of such a broad and influential experience, and this really clarifies that.

It's all stated on the first page my dear :)

I only did that because I think its rude to say the things you said to a bunch of people that clearly are happy to be doing this.

You already made your point not sending the list. You dont need to make a statement and make fun of the people with a different opinion.

Okay little miss goody two shoes. I wasn't mocking anybody but I think it's the best way for me to explain the fact that every time I read a list of something I always think 'but...' and 'why?'. If I wrote a list tonight I'd disagree with it tomorrow.

It's all stated on the first page my dear :)

May as well have just said.

11kh09g.jpg

I know I'm late to say this (and thus I'm repeating many folks, but ...)... whoopie, the song title visuals are awesome -- you selected perfect photos for them, and they work well as a cohesive set.

It is interesting to read the blurbs -- can't disagree with any entries at all so far, and I wager I may not be able to disagree at all, no matter what is chosen. After all, they're all Madonna songs, and each one has its charm -- if not to one person, then to another.

Thank you so much, whoopie. Looking forward to the next set.

I know I'm late to say this (and thus I'm repeating many folks, but ...)... whoopie, the song title visuals are awesome -- you selected perfect photos for them, and they work well as a cohesive set.

They truly are :inlove:

anyway i don't need anyone's agreement to write or say something so here is my take on Beautiful Stranger !

Beautiful Stranger

Released on May 1999, a year where Madonna was exuding happiness from inside and outside. A mother of a wonderful little Lola, a music career that is back on top worldwide after the successful ray Of Light album and a flirty single 40 sexy woman who party hard with her best pal Rupert Everett. "Beautiful Stranger" is the musical translation of all that, it's sexy, it's flirty, the music is solid and the production is classy, it's not a ballad but it's not uptempo dance, it's right in the perfect middle of a delicious spring pop track. The video translate without any loss the wonderful 1999 Madonna, on top body and mind. Beautiful Stranger, to know you is to love you...

Oh! And I think it's a great idea to submit this list to Guy O!

Maybe it will convince Madonna to perform Gambler again :1251:

Assuming it made the list :lol:

I hope it did

madonna-gambler-o.gif

Madonna%252BLike%252Ba%252BVirgin%252BTo

Guest Rachelle of London

anyway i don't need anyone's agreement to write or say something so here is my take on Beautiful Stranger !

Beautiful Stranger

Released on May 1999, a year where Madonna was exuding happiness from inside and outside. A mother of a wonderful little Lola, a music career that is back on top worldwide after the successful ray Of Light album and a flirty single 40 sexy woman who party hard with her best pal Rupert Everett. "Beautiful Stranger" is the musical translation of all that, it's sexy, it's flirty, the music is solid and the production is classy, it's not a ballad but it's not uptempo dance, it's right in the perfect middle of a delicious spring pop track. The video translate without any loss the wonderful 1999 Madonna, on top body and mind. Beautiful Stranger, to know you is to love you...

Couldnt agree with you more!

This is exactly why I didn't bother to vote. :lmao: It's a fruitless exercise (for me) as I don't have favourites. Have to say that Whoopie has organised it very well and as everyone has said the visuals are nice too.

So to you Vogue is the same than Over and Over, you like them both the same?

This is SO AWESOME. Thank you, whoopiedo. Definitely keeping these banners as a memento for myself (not sure for what) :)

I'll Remember, Beautiful Killer, I Deserve It and Celebration didn't make the cut. Dang! They were all in my Top 40.

Memories...

37badgirl.png

37) BAD GIRL

PRPapi: True story: At a karaoke/talent event with my friends, I was asked to sing. Knowing I'm a true-blue M fan, many moaned and groaned once they knew I was singing an M song, but they figured I'd do that anyway. While everyone sang classic, cheesy, happy-go-lucky dance songs, I surprised everyone by singing Bad Girl (though I changed it to Bad Boy in the lyrics). (They all thought I'd sing something dance-y.) I sang BG a little slowed down, and a little more dramatically with my friend playing piano behind me. Did it change the mood of the event? P'Shaw! But, once I was done, there wasn't a dry eye in the house. I was "crowned" the winner of the event. But, the BEST part for me was that I turned many into either fans of the song or of M since they were impressed with the song itself. SCORE!

iwantyou.png

34) I WANT YOU

johnnox: There are occasions when a Madonna video can creep into your psyche without fanfare or controversy. I Want You is such an example - a promo that neither sets out to break the rules nor grab the headlines. And without such an agenda, it has become an enduring, flawless, visual masterpiece.

A cover of a 1976 Marvin Gaye song, I Want You was recorded with Massive Attack and planned as the lead-off single from ballads compilation Something To Remember. With the song ready, a video shot and remixes commissioned, all were all serviced to radio, television and clubs and then… nothing. Thanks to petty legal wranglings between Motown and Madonna’s label, it was shelved and replaced with You’ll See, one of three new recordings and itself a worldwide smash.

After the peculiarity of Bedtime Story and the spiky Human Nature videos, I Want You displayed a softer, warmer Madonna. It was hard to believe the woman who could fuck a dog to death in the Sex book then sprout white doves from her breasts in Bedtime Story could re-invent herself so convincingly in just six minutes and twenty-two seconds. But watching the video for I Want You was no easy feat.

Rewind back to 1996 and the World Wide Web was still an unproven concept. No YouTube, Facebook, Twitter or Madonnanation. No apparatus allowing you to click a mouse and find a link. All you had was a handful of TV music stations and potluck. So it took me a good week to catch the I Want You video in its entirety. Each time I tuned into MTV Europe, my fingers hovered on the play and record button of the VCR, but I’d frustratingly catch the last minute or so without enjoying it in its entirety.

Eventually one Saturday morning, there it was, sandwiched between Toni Braxton and Mariah Carey. Madonna, a hotel room, a telephone, a glass of water and a false eyelash … if there’s any doubt that girl had acting chops, I Want You begged to differ. You felt her aching; her disappointment, her longing and her hand-wringing frustration as she waited for the object of her desire to call. We’ve all been there, but few of us could style it out so successfully.

It’s rare to find Madonna in such a submissive position, dependent on someone else to ease her suffering. But there’s a twist in store for those doubting the power of the woman. Because in the closing scene when he finally does call, she hangs up on him. Poor is the woman who pleasure depends on the phone call of another. Even at her most vulnerable, Madonna still wears the trousers.

If nothing else, the I Want You video simply exists to prove that using a director (God bless you, Earle Sebastian) who truly understands an artist, you can witness the most famous woman in the world in a completely new light.

The song itself? Even without a video, it would stand head and shoulders up there with her best. This is exactly what a cover version should sound like – inspired by the original but not an inferior, hapless, carbon copy. Like Sinead’s Nothing Compares 2 U and Fugee’s Killing Me Softly, it uses the foundation of its predecessor to build a giant tower all of its own.

Madonna mixes sparse, understated vocals with spoken lines, trip-hop drumbeats and Massive Attack’s trademark subtle orchestration that builds and builds and builds to a saddening climax where the instrumentation takes over from the yearning in her voice. One can only imagine the beauty an entire album of Madonna and Massive Attack collaborations could have been. Might we still be discussing it now with the same affection we do for Ray Of Light?

I Want You remains in Madonna history as the first and only one of her songs to get the full video treatment without ever being released. While the masses may have forgotten about it, it’s their loss and the fans’ gain. And 18 years on, rarely has a video by any artist matched so symbiotically with its accompanying song.!

These two were my favourite reviews. I knew Johnnox was going to make a long essay :lol: and I read every word of it.

illremember.png
I'LL REMEMBER
Matt Matt: This one, while a few others beat it on my list for their own reasons, has a very special place in my heart. I was finishing high school in 1993 and while I was a football player, had a girlfriend and heaps of mates, I was suffering from what we now know as depression. I suffered from self-loathing, resenting the feelings of same-sex attraction and doubting every move I made at school or in sports and I went to a very dark place in my head. My M obsession had deepened as a tool to cope and the week after I was finishing school, I would be seeing her for the first and only time in my life to date. The show was amazing and seeing it was a dream come true. Along with it came the "come down" from all the excitement and anticipation and soon enough in early 1994 I was back in my dark place as I searched for work and hid in my room. A couple of months later M released I'll Remember and the lyrics were an affirmation from "I'll Remember the strength that you gave me, now that I'm standing on my own, I'll Remember the way that you changed me". It empowered me and as it played over and over, I believed it and felt stronger and then a few months later came Secret with "Until I learned to love myself, I was never ever loving anybody else" and "Happiness lies in your own hand" and I was changed - I took action and sort medical assistance and all these years later as a strong man, I can close my eyes and look back at that sad school boy and listen to that song and still feel it lifting him.

Matt Matt, What a wonderful, emotional post. :clap:

Loving this and reading everyone's personal views about different songs.

illremember.png

I'LL REMEMBER

Matt Matt: This one, while a few others beat it on my list for their own reasons, has a very special place in my heart. I was finishing high school in 1993 and while I was a football player, had a girlfriend and heaps of mates, I was suffering from what we now know as depression. I suffered from self-loathing, resenting the feelings of same-sex attraction and doubting every move I made at school or in sports and I went to a very dark place in my head. My M obsession had deepened as a tool to cope and the week after I was finishing school, I would be seeing her for the first and only time in my life to date. The show was amazing and seeing it was a dream come true. Along with it came the "come down" from all the excitement and anticipation and soon enough in early 1994 I was back in my dark place as I searched for work and hid in my room. A couple of months later M released I'll Remember and the lyrics were an affirmation from "I'll Remember the strength that you gave me, now that I'm standing on my own, I'll Remember the way that you changed me". It empowered me and as it played over and over, I believed it and felt stronger and then a few months later came Secret with "Until I learned to love myself, I was never ever loving anybody else" and "Happiness lies in your own hand" and I was changed - I took action and sort medical assistance and all these years later as a strong man, I can close my eyes and look back at that sad school boy and listen to that song and still feel it lifting him.

Matt Matt, What a wonderful, emotional post. :clap:

Loving this and reading everyone's personal views about different songs.

+1 very deep story.

I agree I think this should be pinned, but a nice neat thread with just the top 40 and all the write ups when all is said and done without our commentary on everything.

Just my opinion.

It would just be nice to view the whole complete list without any breaks in it, distractions or opinions.