Update: Madonna Does Not Boycott Florida

FreeMySoul

A number of top-level celebrities are reportedly following in Stevie Wonder's footsteps and plan to boycott Florida in protest of the state's "Stand Your Ground" laws. The list, which was first reported by AURN's April Ryan and credited a "a source close to Wonder," includes the likes of Madonna, Usher, Kanye West, Jay Z, Rihanna and Rod Stewart.

Wonder announced his intention to boycott any state with "Stand Your Ground" lawsafter George Zimmerman after a jury acquitted George Zimmerman in the 2012 killing of unarmed Florida teen Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman did not invoke the "Stand Your Ground" defense in the trial, though it did figure into the police's decision not to not arrest Zimmerman for weeks after the incident. Additionally, the "Stand Your Ground" defense appeared in instructions to jurors, and a juror cited the law in explaining the not-guilty verdict.

"I decided today that until the 'Stand Your Ground' law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again," Wonder said at a concert in Quebec City. "As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world. The truth is that -- for those of you who’ve lost in the battle for justice, wherever that fits in any part of the world -- we can’t bring them back. What we can do is we can let our voices be heard. And we can vote in our various countries throughout the world for change and equality for everybody. That’s what I know we can do."

Florida is not the only state with "Stand Your Ground" laws on its books -- at least 23 other states have similar provisions providing varying degrees of legal protection to those who use force in perceived self-defense.

The Huffington Post is reaching out to representatives for a number of artists on this list and will update this post should more information be made available.

• Mary Mary

• Eddie Levert

• Rod Stewart

• Madonna

• Usher

• Pattie Labelle

• Kanye West

• Mary J

• Trey Songz

• Jay Z

• Rolling Stones

• Justin Timberlake

• R. Kelly

• Rihanna

• Alicia Keys

• Joe

• Will I AM

• Keyshia Cole

• Young Jeezy

• Erykah Badu

• Wale

• Frankie Beverly

• Parliament

After the MDNA Miami debacle, I wonder if any of them will care.

However, she the biggest touring solo act there is...it would be cool if the loss of business and bad PR for Florida made a change in the laws.

Highly doubt half this list will give up the chance for $$$. Specifically in Southeast FL which generates a lot of concert revenue. As it is the Jay/JT concert is still a go..

Highly doubt half this list will give up the chance for $$$. Specifically in Southeast FL which generates a lot of concert revenue. As it is the Jay/JT concert is still a go..

Madonna is in the half of the list that truly counts :D

Well what am I saying?

Half? There's only two touring heavyweight names I am reading there

Madonna and the RS

They cancel 2 Miami arena shows and they make 3 times as much with 1 stadium gig in Asia or Australia or SA

Or certain European markets for that matter

Not a loss for them

Certainly a loss for Florida

Good on them and for such a great cause

I like people who take a stand I really do, but why ruin a lot of peoples fun because of a poisonous few?

I guess she's not touring for a couple of years anyway so good on her for speaking up.

Guest Not4Pussies

Good for her.

I wanted to go soon to Universal Horror Nights, but FUCK IT.

Really? Come on now. You deserve a slap, cher moonstuuck snap out of it style. Horror nights Hollywood California

Really? Come on now. You deserve a slap, cher moonstuuck snap out of it style. Horror nights Hollywood California

Its a trip to the west coast than!

I'm sorry, but is this not extremely hypocritical of Madonna who is pushing her bullshit DEFEND hoddies onto the world?

So what Madonna is saying/ promoting is: it is ok to defend yourself using gun violence, just don't stand your ground?

I'm sorry, but is this not extremely hypocritical of Madonna who is pushing her bullshit DEFEND hoddies onto the world?

So what Madonna is saying/ promoting is: it is ok to defend yourself using gun violence, just don't stand your ground?

you dont even know what this defend thing is about. it could be a sardonic way to put out a message. but really we dont know shit about this (or the secret project)

Yeah, if it was, she's gonna have to boycott California, Michigan (her home state), Georgia, Arizona and Texas too.

Madonna would never skip out on that kind of money.

she tours in Russia lol like she would skip florida

I think this is meant to bring attention to that stupid, ancient and obviously very dangerous law. A law that is often enough abused by all kinds of criminals mostly gang members. It makes their defense pretty easy. All they have to say is "I felt threatened by this guy so I had to shoot". Keep in mind it's the prosecutors job to prove someone is guilty. And under this existing law that's pretty hard. It's time to get rid of this law because it's not really needed. Anyone who is in real danger can still kill the attacker and claim it was self-defense. But the definiton what qualifies as self-defense is much more specific than "stand your ground". And in case it wasn't really necessary to kill the attacker because you had other ways to get away or to knock the attacker out you will be in deep trouble. Because this can turn into a case of manslaughter. To kill someone is always the "ultima ratio". As it should be. No peaceful person needs this law.

she tours in Russia lol like she would skip florida

You actually forget that she stood up for the LGBT community in St. Petersburg despite the existing law that forbids any kind of promotion of homosexuality. It was pretty brave. She could have been jailed. They sued her for millions. Now that this law is applicable in all Russia she would do the same in Moscow or where ever in Russia she plays. But I guess Russian authorities will deny her a visa the next time anyway. I doubt they will allow her to speak up again because she will but they can't arrest her because that would cause an international uproar of epic proportions.

If you want to talk real evil: talk the IOC. I doubt they will do anything in regards to the issue and the winter games next year. All they care about is money. So why bother about some figure skating faggots.