"MADONNA: NYC83" - Richard Corman book to be released in November

cosmic_system

This

I mean who takes a perfect pic and does this?

201309-madonna-03-x595-1379106948.jpg

This does NOT look bad.

However, this:

201309-madonna-17-x595-1379107369.jpg

Not feeling it.

I understand they are going for a NYC feel, using colors based on the various stations on the subway system map. But it could have been better.

But after all, we can't really judge from a computer screen, when it will look 100x better in it's printed form, as it was intended to be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before Madonna ruled the world

http://cnnphotos.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/20/before-madonna-ruled-the-world/

RichardCorman.jpg

aprt_f02.jpg_480_480_0_64000_0_1_0.jpg

One full year before Madonna appeared on television for the first time and confidently declared to Dick Clark on “American Bandstand” that she was going to “rule the world,” photographer Richard Corman could have told you the same thing. Corman photographed the superstar-in-the-making in the Lower East Side of New York in the early ‘80s and is releasing the collection of images in his new book, “Madonna NYC 83.”

He met Madonna through a tip from his mother, a casting director. He was fresh off an apprenticeship with photographer Richard Avedon, and Madonna had yet to release her debut album. Cis Corman first saw Madonna when she was casting Martin Scorcese’s “The Last Temptation of Christ” and suggested her son get in touch.

When he arrived at her walk-up apartment, Corman was supposed to call from a pay phone across the street to be let in. But when the neighborhood kids heard who he was visiting, “the sea parted,” Corman recalls. Madonna served him coffee and bubblegum on a silver platter, and then he pulled out his camera.

“I adore Madonna, and respect her. I think she’s so gifted,” Corman says. “But it’s important to note that I’m not a big, huge, crazy Madonna fan. This book is an homage to that period of time and to today. What moves me the most about these pictures is that they feel like they could have happened yesterday. All of them. Every one.”

Still, Madonna herself was undeniable. Whether she was dancing with neighborhood kids on the roof of her building or hanging with senior citizens outside a nursing home, Corman says Madonna was one of a kind. “I appreciate her sensuality, and her humor. She had this beauty that I’d never seen before and, to this day, I’ve never seen again.”

“She was ahead of pop culture at the time,” Corman continues. “None of us knew it. Those earrings I see on every corner. Those faux pearls, everywhere. Those dark roots, everybody’s getting their hair done that way now. And that red mouth. It blows my mind.”

In reviewing the photos for his book, Corman noticed something about Madonna’s famous penciled-on beauty mark that moved him even 30 years later. “I didn’t understand the color until I was looking at these so carefully,” he says. “Then I realized it was purple to match her eye shadow.

“From the shoes she was wearing, to the look in her eyes, to the way her hair was spiked out, the denim – it was just perfection. Every single detail, this girl was just off the charts.”

Abbey Goodman, CNN

29_430-richard-corman-madonna.jpg

Guest Pud Whacker

"She had this beauty that Id never seen before and, to this day, Ive never seen again.

Nobody has and that's why the world will always be intrigued. Like Marilyn.

1395440_580611068641210_1515295652_n.jpg

This one seems a bit photoshopped, hopefully it was only restored, it is fucking Iconic, are these outtakes? Like, did they never see the light of day? Makes no sense keeping these in a vault for so many years since they are mind blowing, I know Madonna didn't like the sweater pics of this shoot but they are amazing, surely they could have been used here and there

Who was that bloke going on about when he used to hang out with her and referred to her as "elemental" like she "Was made of light" :lmao:

:D

Norris Burroughs, a NY illustrator she dated in 1978 shortly after she had arrived in the city

norris_burroughs.jpga-madonna-bookcover.jpg?w=223&h=324

‘I suggested that we go out for a bite to eat. There was no place west of her apartment, but on Broadway under the Elevated train was a small restaurant that served Cuban food and good strong espresso.

We ordered coffee and flan, a caramel custard dessert and Madonna looked out of the window onto the crowded sidewalk. A lithe young Puerto Rican boy sauntered by and I saw her give him the once over.

“It’s intense here,” she said, “but I like it. It’s full of life. I’m realizing how much I like Latin music. This isn’t New York here. It’s more like Nueva York. You seem to know your way around the streets pretty well here.”

“Well sure. This is pretty much where I came from.”

Where we sat was less than a mile from the street that I was born on. I’d lived on East 123rd street until I was five, then moved to the relative serenity and greenery of the North East Bronx.’

Anyone buy it? It looks shit. Even a few of the photos look colorized. Leave it alone Corman, leave it alone. Collect your money and move on.

Anyone buy it? It looks shit. Even a few of the photos look colorized. Leave it alone Corman, leave it alone. Collect your money and move on.

I love the photos but the layout they went for diminishes the whole thing

Not buying this for sure

I don't understand why Corman is only releasing the book now

Some of the shots were already featured in OUT magazine 3 years ago

Madonna+Out+Magazine+April+2011+black+an

Guest travelinstillness

I don't think it's been released yet.According to Amazon,it won't be released until late November.

I think they may have moved up the release date? I got an email from Amazon the other day that gave an est. delivery date of Oct. 30.... which is strange since the website itself still has 11/30 as the release date. Here's the text of the email from Amazon:

Hello,

We have received new release date information related to the order you placed on September 17, 2013 (Order# 110-5215264-9966639). The item(s) listed below will actually ship sooner than we originally expected based on the new release date:

Corman, Richard "Richard Corman: Madonna NYC 83"

Previous estimated arrival date: December 04, 2013

New estimated arrival date: October 30, 2013

If you want to check on the progress of your order, take a look at this page in Your Account:

The book is published by Damiani and it's already sold out through their website

Priced at $49

She's amazing, she's not even involved with this release

It's a collection of shots that were taken of her ages ago

(u can find Uncle Terry's smartypants coffe-table book at $3 at the nearest clearance bin in your town)

• 1 month later...

I went to the MILK Gallery yesterday to see this exhibition and it was amazing to be surrounded by all these gorgeous vintage Madonna shots. She really is a masterpiece. I was so taken by the exhibition that I bought the book which is stunning and purchased a poster, which i'm having framed. There were several people there and really studying the photographs. You want art pop u got it with Madonna.

I went to the MILK Gallery yesterday to see this exhibition and it was amazing to be surrounded by all these gorgeous vintage Madonna shots. She really is a masterpiece. I was so taken by the exhibition that I bought the book which is stunning and purchased a poster, which i'm having framed. There were several people there and really studying the photographs. You want art pop u got it with Madonna.

So glad you enjoyed the exhibition!

Those pics are amazing, even better when displayed in a gallery

Guest Pud Whacker

yes, its SOOOOOOOOOOOO GORGEOUS in person. absolute perfection.

one of the best madonna books next to SEX.