Martin Solveig about M / New interview

Pressston

I Fucked Up is fantastic

And Beautiful Killer is classic Madonna

I love I Dont Give A as well, but lets face it, the tour version is 100x better

Guest Rachelle of London

I would hardly call that a sarcastic face. I'd call that a "Stop asking me about Madonna" face.

same! But that's the thing with working with M, everything you do you will always be associated with her.

same! But that's the thing with working with M, everything you do you will always be associated with her.

Exactly. It kinda comes with the territory!

Guest Rachelle of London

Exactly. It kinda comes with the territory!

that's why I understand why some people wouldn't wanna work with her, it literally would be your peak.

Guest Not4Pussies

i think they're fine with one another. he probably wanted to talk about his new single, not about madonna

and i was wrong, he didn't attend the mdna tour screening for the fans. he attended a private screening

at madonna's house

tweet from matt pokora:

Just finished watching the INCREDIBLE #MDNA tour with @martinsolveig and @bramski6 #newyork
Thanks to M and B for the privilege.

20130601-news-madonna-matt-pokora-brahim

i think they're fine with one another. he probably wanted to talk about his new single, not about madonna

and i was wrong, he didn't attend the mdna tour screening for the fans. he attended a private screening

at madonna's house

tweet from matt pokora:

Just finished watching the INCREDIBLE #MDNA tour with @martinsolveig and @bramski6 #newyork[/size]Thanks to M and B for the privilege.[/size]

20130601-news-madonna-matt-pokora-brahim[/size]

Ohhh, the guy on the left is cute.

As I ve said he is one big hit and miss. BKiller was amazing, as was I Dont Give A... All else must be forgotten...

The only song I really don't feel is Turn Up The Radio. It's cute, but the MDNA tour version is better. GAYL is actually a pretty cute single, but it's not first single material and well..we heard the demo months before and it killed the whole thing for us. I also don't like the beginning and the end, it sounds like a radio edit.

The only song I really don't feel is Turn Up The Radio. It's cute, but the MDNA tour version is better. GAYL is actually a pretty cute single, but it's not first single material and well..we heard the demo months before and it killed the whole thing for us. I also don't like the beginning and the end, it sounds like a radio edit.

Everything on MDNA bar IDGA and IAS sound like radio edits. Girl Gone Wild is crying out for an extended intro and breakdown (like the tour version) etc etc ad nauseum blabla

I think Martin made the most of what he was offered from Madonna. I'm sure if she'd have let him get on with it MDNA would have been a better album. Take TUTR for example, the original version sounded awesome but then M came along and dumbed down the lyrics and cut out the best part of the chorus. Also GMAL has a fantastic instrumental but the lyrics are pittyful! I blame M and the mixing master Demo for all of MDNA's short comings.

I think Martin made the most of what he was offered from Madonna. I'm sure if she'd have let him get on with it MDNA would have been a better album. Take TUTR for example, the original version sounded awesome but then M came along and dumbed down the lyrics and cut out the best part of the chorus. Also GMAL has a fantastic instrumental but the lyrics are pittyful! I blame M and the mixing master Demo for all of MDNA's short comings.

Really surprised at people complaining about Demo -- because, without Demo, we would have gotten the much more Mika-sounding "Bang Bang Boom" instead of "Gang Bang." William Orbit related the story that Madonna had finished recording the earlier version, had insisted she needed to get out and see the sunset, and she and William left the studio to do so. After standing on an island in the middle of a busy NYC street to watch the sun set, they returned to the studio, where Demo had been working in the meanwhile. By that point, he'd developed the rough beat to the version of "Gang Bang" which we know now -- it was like he had a remix of the track started. But that inspired Madonna to do another, different take on the song. She entered the sound booth and recorded what we hear on the album, mostly. (Orbit admitted there was one little bit they agreed didn't work quite right the first time around, which they either eliminated or fixed. Judging by the Kee Club Mix's restored vocal outtake of the "put the pedal to the metal and drive, bitch" it might have been that -- because I don't think she says "pedal" quite right. Sounds like she's saying "metal to the metal" or something. Vox are distorted, so it's hard to tell.)

Anyway. I'm not a huge fan of Demo's remixes usually, and I actually am one of the few on this board who likes Mika. But I can't say Demo ruined anything on the album ... because whether you like "Gang Bang" or not, you have to admit it's a strong track on the album and one of the very electrifying moments of both the album and the tour.

I don't mind Martin Solveig -- it's a shame none of his stuff for MDNA was quite as catchy as his work for his SMASH album ("Hello," "Big in Japan," and "Boys and Girls"). I get the cute and sweet intention behind GMAYL was to have everyone singing the positive cheerleader chant for M while she was onstage/tour, but it doesn't quite meet the iconic/classic/memorable level of quality. The remix for the tour is tellingly abbreviated and heavily rearranged to be more bombastic and dynamic. (Oh, and part of the lyrics for GMAYL came from Solveig -- the "L-U-V Madonna! Y-O-U you wanna?" cheerleader chant was his whole idea for the track in the first place... So if that's the starting point for the lyrics, it's really almost silly to complain about the lyrics being simple. As much as Madonna loves juxtaposition, it would be absurd to have verses that rival Shakespearean sonnets when you have a chorus that doesn't even spell "love" correctly. It would be too much of a disconnect.)

IDGA is epic, so I'm grateful for that. And TUTR is getting a bad rap -- it goes down well live, and it has that classic Madonna theme of finding in music joy and escape from pain and heartache. (Despite being such a sunny sounding track, there are hints -- a la "Vogue" -- of pain and sorrow: "there's something you don't need to know" and "when the world starts to get you down and nothing seems to go your way...") I did think it was sort of a "radio edit" on the album, and there would be a version with a little more edge/teeth to it as a remix, but that didn't quite happen. I am slightly surprised when people talk about Madonna watering down the demo -- I don't have a clear memory of that demo. But what I do remember is that Madonna added to the song melodically and lyrically. I remember Nightshade made a comment similar to this -- and he had expressed that he thought Madonna's vocals weren't quite as energetic or something. He may have a point there, although I would say Madonna may have been going for that vocal quality that meshes with Solveig's style -- that female singer from Dragonette doesn't exactly have a full-bodied, soulful diva voice. It's more waif-ish and slightly coy coquette kind of style. And there's sort of a vague little wink to "Video Killed the Radio Star" -- an almost little ironic, tongue-in-cheek kind of thing about the song, since radio as a format has lost some power/influence in the age of the iPod and YouTube -- although I guess Pandora and Spotify et al. are sort of becoming Radio 2.0.

Blah blah blah. I'm rambling. But I find it odd to blame any one party for anything here. Madonna's always been very much a collaborator. Sure, the producers are going to deliver what she wants ultimately, and she has plenty of studio experience and a producer's instincts. So the producers with whom she is collaborating are going to listen to what she has to say. These aren't remixers, who get an a cappella vocal and can just build whatever they want around it. The point is to create the product together -- so M was never going to just "let him get on with it" -- that's not the way she works. If you think Madonna is getting in her own way -- well, you're entitled to your opinion. I suppose there's a case to be made for that. But it can also be argued that Madonna brings these producers along in the process.

If he refused to answer it question, it also may be that he's learned by other's poor examples NOT to talk about Madonna when it's not been authorized for them to do so (as in when the album was being released and I'm sure he was asked to participate in promoting the album by talking about the creative process).

I Fucked Up is fantastic

One of my MDNA Top 4 songs

Pity they relegated it to the bonus cd

Wait..., Demo Castellon who mixed the album is part of the demolition crew??????

That was my understanding? Unless I'm mistaken ... He's Nelly Furtado's husband. I presume he got connected with M through the Hard Candy sessions, because Demacio Castellon worked with Timbaland extensively, and he remixed HC tracks. M must have kept in contact with him for MDNA work.

According to the Demolition Crew's Twitter page: "Demacio Demo Castellon, Mike Turco, The Koz, Square Boogie and Jax make up this music production house."

It is all the same guy, right?

Ya. But people don't hate him cause of Gang Bang, they hate him for the awful mastering he did on HC and especially MDNA. That was one of the main reasons why WO was dissatisfied with the way how the album came out.

Should have just stuck with good ol Spike Stent, he did the Pharrell tracks on HC which I thought sounded lovely.

^ Oh! Did Spike Stent do the Pharrell tracks on HC? I was unaware. I am a little sad Stent's been missing from her creative process recently. He does great work. (The last I'd read, he had worked on No Doubt's album -- so I thought maybe he was just too busy working on their stuff to do M's -- and she was on a schedule with the SuperBowl and starting the tour, so I just figured she found with others this time.)

"Voices" was the only track I recall people complaining about the mastering from HC. I honestly can't remember what involvement Demo had in the studio for HC. I thought he just did those Rebirth remixes, which I was never crazy about.

I do recall William Orbit complaining about the process -- about Madonna's time and access, yes, but also about the technical end of things and kind of expressing how it seemed unbelievable how slow the process was in converting certain things, even though they were using a digital process? Something like that -- I didn't quite understand what he was saying, to be honest. (I do pay attention, honest, but I just couldn't follow the whole thought.)

I Fucked Up is fantastic

I couldn't agree more

Did Demo master William's MDNA tracks? I thought they sounded really off. Too loud and amped, not William's style. It sounded as if Demo raised all the layers to the max.

It does seem as though WO's suffered the most during the mixing, as the mix for Love Spent is atrocious, yet GGW's mixing sounds pretty good.

As far as I know Demo mixed the whole album.