Reissue rumours: first "Like a Prayer," now "Something to Remember"?

Apples388

I don't there is a market at the moment. How much would time and money would it take to put it all together and for what returns? The money's in the touring as we know now.

It's highly unusual that an artist is successful for thirty years. Many bands / artists that have had box sets are normally no longer together or had a long hiatus in their careers.

I don't think any of this stuff will properly see light of day until ten years after she's finished. That seems to be the normal amount of time it takes for a band to finish and then be appreciated. There was a Beatles revival at the beginning of the 80s in the UK. It was ten years from Abba no longer recording until the Gold album came out. Take That need ten years away too.

I am thinking of some of my fave artists, all with over 30 years, still active, still releasing new material, and all with amazing box set releases. Perhaps some artist just tend to their faithful followers a bit more..... until recently, it seems Madonna and her people were still aiming at the mainstream music buying world when in reality it is her hardcore fan base that actually buys her new material (MDNA is proof) not the general music-buying public. If they accept the fact that she is no longer commercially popular they can tap into a whole new niche, as many veteran artists have done.

014344pev.jpg

Emmylou Harris' 'Songbird' release in 2007 is a phenomenal box-set based on unreleased and lesser known gems of her material. She already released 'Portraits' in 1996, a 3-disc box-set of her career up until that point (then 22 years). Emmylou has never stopped recording nor touring since her debut album in 1975. Her 2011 album 'Hard Bargain' reached #3 on both the Billboard Top Country Albums and Top Folk Albums charts, as well as #18 on the main Billboard Top 200 Chart. Not too shabby for a 66 year old veteran.

Obviously Emmylou is more of a critical/music lover darling than a pop star, but Madonna is now in the phase of her career where her new releases are primarily purchased by fans and touring is her top source of income, much like Emmylou and a variety of other veteran artists I am fans of.

If Madonna released anything close to the quality of Emmylou's 'Songbird" set, both in packaging and material, it would be purchased by every fan alive. Madonna is now a veteran artist, her fans want physical releases, collectables, etc. There is a market, and with her dominance as the most profitable and popular pop veteran on the planet, it would outsell anything any other 30+ year act could box up and shell out.

I agree that the market is there for box sets, remasters, etc. There are a small handful of artists that I've seen do it, and the product is nice.

Some of the rock groups do it, but mainly release their box sets (with remasters, live albums, demos, unreleased, music videos, documentary, etc.) as exclusive digital/itunes releases, with only a smaller production of actual physical collector box sets released.

Some of them are very nice. The Pink Floyd sets are really nice.

There's no doubt that Madonna and her team know artists are doing this, and doing it well. I personally think M doesn't think she's at that stage yet. She's not a nostalgic person, as we know...and I just think new work is her focus.

I do think she'll do them, but she probably wants to be able to spend the time really doing it right, and release them when new work is not as frequent.

That being said, Like a Prayer at least does deserve a basic remaster (by the best studio engineer). If they did the first few albums, why they stopped at LAP is almost like deliberate torture. Why? It was the last one that needed it.

And one of these days, the full Blond Ambition Tour. The fact that the most iconic pop tour of all time is not fully released...esp. the Alek K 'film' version...is kind of fucking crazy.

That would be one box set collection that deserves to show up sooner rather than later. A LAP remaster with extras, demos, documentary featurettes...paired with the full HD remastered Blond Ambition Tour (film version), and the live album of that show.

What a package that would be...

But I'm wondering just how many 'fans' are out there now that would buy a box set? I mean, in the UK her single sales were pitiful for MDNA and the album didn't fare much better.

I don't think Madonna's music is loved enough yet in the sense that she's greatly under appreciated as a musical artist. She's known as a great live performer but her music, in comparison to her contemporaries, is just not appreciated to the point where I think a project like this would be profitable. The music industry and publications still don't rate her alongside her peers. That's why I think it will be a good few years after she's gone when people will have time to reflect.

014344pev.jpg

Emmylou Harris' 'Songbird' release in 2007 is a phenomenal box-set based on unreleased and lesser known gems of her material. She already released 'Portraits' in 1996, a 3-disc box-set of her career up until that point (then 22 years). Emmylou has never stopped recording nor touring since her debut album in 1975. Her 2011 album 'Hard Bargain' reached #3 on both the Billboard Top Country Albums and Top Folk Albums charts, as well as #18 on the main Billboard Top 200 Chart. Not too shabby for a 66 year old veteran.

Obviously Emmylou is more of a critical/music lover darling than a pop star, but Madonna is now in the phase of her career where her new releases are primarily purchased by fans and touring is her top source of income, much like Emmylou and a variety of other veteran artists I am fans of.

If Madonna released anything close to the quality of Emmylou's 'Songbird" set, both in packaging and material, it would be purchased by every fan alive. Madonna is now a veteran artist, her fans want physical releases, collectables, etc. There is a market, and with her dominance as the most profitable and popular pop veteran on the planet, it would outsell anything any other 30+ year act could box up and shell out.

Yeah but no one gives a shit about Emmylou Harris.

(except maybe Probed by Greys but I thought he died?)

Guest bluejean

Well that's sort of a point in itself. If an artist noone gives a shit about has a boxed set then the "there is no market for it" argument doesn't really stand.

:lmao: at the notion that Madonna is under appreciated. Artists don't get anymore mainstream than Madonna. Just cos the MDNA singles were flops, a boxed set of Madonna would sell more than most other boxed sets I imagine. I think Madonna just doesn't want to do one. The one planned before was also around the time of Me Against The Music and the Reinvention Tour. Says it all really.

It doesn't need anything.

But I'd like all the studio albums to be rereleased and remastered with bonus stuff. It's about time. And why not do You Can Dance, The Immaculate Collection and STR too. Maybe give GHV2 a miss :chuckle:

Exactly! I'm all up for 25th or 30th anniversary editions of M's albums with lots of bonus material and polished cover artwork!

Box sets are what you do when an artist is over, dead or broke.. none of which applies to the Queen and anyway it took her 20 years to get a frangrance on the market, i think we can expect full box set memorabilia when she is 80

Guest bluejean

That isn't true. U2 did rereleases of their albums and they are still huge. She could do that, a bonus disc with every album and then put it out as a box set of all her albums. That would generate new interest in her back catalogue which would benefit future tours.

You know, during the downtime between HC and MDNA. They could have done something along the lines of the first 3 album remasters, but release each album one at a time every 4 months or so. Each album would be remastered and contain a bonus disc with the album outtakes and demos. It could even have an alternate cover done by the original designers. After all the remastered albums are out, they could package a special box set with all them together.

Guest bluejean

Or maybe they could have remastered every album with a bonus disc of unreleased songs/remixes/demos etc and then released them all as a box set?

Live songs too.

I want Sooner or Later at the Oscars in it's HQ glory. Same goes with my theme song: ROL at the VMAs

Well that's sort of a point in itself. If an artist noone gives a shit about has a boxed set then the "there is no market for it" argument doesn't really stand.

:lmao: at the notion that Madonna is under appreciated. Artists don't get anymore mainstream than Madonna. Just cos the MDNA singles were flops, a boxed set of Madonna would sell more than most other boxed sets I imagine. I think Madonna just doesn't want to do one. The one planned before was also around the time of Me Against The Music and the Reinvention Tour. Says it all really.

I meant by the general music and radio industry. When I listen to Radio 2, there's always Queen, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie but, considering Madonna has been going thirty years and has around 70 singles to choose from, you rarely hear any of her songs played. The music still seems secondary. It will only be after she's gone that there will be a general appreciation. An artist like Emmylou Harris probably gets more musical respect than an artist like Madonna and so projects like this are more appreciated by a general music fan base.

ROL at the VMAs

Sooo unlikely. She'd probably use the superior Oprah version or just rehash one from the already released tours.

I can't believe that 'Like A Prayer' hasn't been remastered by now.It should be a 2-CD "Deluxe Edition" filled with outtakes,remixes,demos,etc.It's such a major,important album in Madonna's career and it deserves the remastered treatment.

^ Did anyone here buy that?

The complete studio albums was on sale in sainsburys for £15 a few days ago, but they're sold out now. Was pissed off about the cardboard sleeves but I wish I had bought it if only to add to my collection.

That isn't true. U2 did rereleases of their albums and they are still huge. She could do that, a bonus disc with every album and then put it out as a box set of all her albums. That would generate new interest in her back catalogue which would benefit future tours.

But It's all up to WBR, she doesn't 2 b involved at all or even approve. The can remaster whatever the fuck they want & replace

the old catalogue number.

pearl jam's Ten box set

81TfL5MF0aL._SL1500_.jpg

isco 1
1.Re-mastered TEN

Disco 2
1.Brother (previously unreleased with vocals)[bonus Tracks]
2.Just A Girl (previously unreleased)[bonus Tracks]
3.Breath And A Scream (previously unreleased demo)[bonus Tracks]
4.State Of Love And Trust (previously unreleased)[bonus Tracks]
5.2,000 Mile Blues (previously unreleased)[bonus Tracks]
6.Evil Little Goat (Rehearsal studio outtake)[bonus Tracks]

Disco 3
1.Oceans [MTV Unplugged]
2.State Of Love And Trust [MTV Unplugged]
3.Alive [MTV Unplugged]
4.Black [MTV Unplugged]
5.Jeremy [MTV Unplugged]
6.Even Flow [MTV Unplugged]
7.Porch [MTV Unplugged]

Disco 4
1.Vinyl LP Version. Original mix re-mastered for vinyl

Disco 5
1.Vinyl LP Version of Re-mix, re-mastered for vinyl

Disco 6
1.O'Brien - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]
2.Even Flow - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]
3.Once - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]
4.State Of Love And Trust - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]
5.Why Go - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]
6.Jeremy - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]
7.Black - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]
8.Alive - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]
9.Garden - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]
10.Porch - [Double Vinyl LP of PJ Live 9/20/92 'Drop in the Park' show, mixed by Brendan]

Disco 7
1.Memorabilia:
2.Cassette replica of Eddie's original demo tape (Alive, Once, Footsteps)
3.Bound recreation of Eddie's notebook including lyrics, doodles, photographs.
4.Envelope containing a wealth of stunning merchandise
5.Postcards
6.Fabric sticker
7.Laminated backstage pass replica
8.Ticket replica
9.6 x photos - 11" x 11" with written notes on reverse
10.Large poster - 2ft x 3ft
Descrizione prodotto
9CD
:dramatic:

^ Did anyone here buy that?

The complete studio albums was on sale in sainsburys for £15 a few days ago, but they're sold out now. Was pissed off about the cardboard sleeves but I wish I had bought it if only to add to my collection.

I bought the complete studio box set because I wanted to have all her albums quickly. I already had True Blue - Music in proper albums but I think it's pretty solid if you want the basics. It's a good item for new fans and very convenient to travel with because you're only taking a small box. I don't think it's as terrible as people make it out to be.

I bought the complete studio box set because I wanted to have all her albums quickly. I already had True Blue - Music in proper albums but I think it's pretty solid if you want the basics. It's a good item for new fans and very convenient to travel with because you're only taking a small box. I don't think it's as terrible as people make it out to be.

That's exactly the reason I was going to buy it but I don't like cardboard sleeves.

Like most people here, I already have all of her albums but I thought this would be nice to have in the car instead of lots of jewel cases lying around. I could use mp3's but of course the discs sound so much better.

Guest bluejean

Live songs too.

I want Sooner or Later at the Oscars in it's HQ glory. Same goes with my theme song: ROL at the VMAs

I'd rather that stuff on a DVD compilation. Imagine a compilation of her best tv performances. I'm sure we'll see that sort of thing in 2055 or something.