Reissue rumours: first "Like a Prayer," now "Something to Remember"?

Apples388

So, the vinyl sounds great. Especially if you keep in mind the whole album is squeezed into a single disc. I've seen several shorter albums being split on 2 discs. Played The Killers' "Battle Born" inmediately afterwards and, while "Something to Remember" is not as loud, the sound quality is much better. Can't compare it with the original pressing, though, because I don't have it.

It comes with a regular vinyl sleeve. Same old cover, looks beautiful blown up on 12". The picture seems a bit fuzzy dream-esque, but I think it's meant to, especially since the text remains sharp. The back cover uses the flowers in the dark image. All the credits and Madonna's thank you notes are written directly on it. The disc itself comes in a plain white dust cover, no inner sleeve whatsoever. The labels on each side are plain white Maverick labels, I think the originals were also like that.

Not releasing this in gatefold format with the image of her lying down that was used in the back for some editions is such a wasted opportunity, btw.

THIS

• 1 month later...

Some of the comments from amazon:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

2.0 out of 5 stars

Beautiful product but quality-wise..., 3 Nov 2013

By Nerrian

This review is from: Something To Remember [VINYL] (Vinyl)

Warner Records had no trouble whatsoever trying to update it somehow. It's in 180 gram vinyl, so one would expect the most gorgeous, powerful sound coming out of the speakers... Not the case here. This is the lowest-sounding vinyl I've got, not to mention that the beautiful photo session by Mario Testino has been omitted. All you get is the photo on the cover. What a pity.

If Warner had been a wise company, one which minded its customers, they would've remastered the audio, made it into white vinyl and pumped up the photo session. What a shame. Nothing added to the original CD here, not even a better audio.

I would pass it if I were you.

2.0 out of 5 stars

Great Album - Awful Vinyl, 1 Nov 2013

By S. Barker

This review is from: Something To Remember [VINYL] (Vinyl)

Was very happy to see this album reissued and so reasonably priced. The sleeve and vinyl looked great when it arrived but the sound quality is really poor. Flat bass and very quiet means you have to turn volume way up which in turn accentuates all the little cracks and pops you'd expect with vinyl. Result is a real let down and I'd recommend waiting until a better version is released despite the low cost on this pressing.

Shame..

Like I said on my post, it's unusually low volume-wise, but if you crank it up it actually sounds great for a vinyl that is so heavily compressed.

It would be an issue with mp3s while shuffling your collection, but as an item you pretty much okay on its own it's not a deal breaker.

The real downside is how plain it is in terms of artwork.

I do like that floral image, but really it's just the same text and type from inside booklet. The production/writing credits isn't necessary for a back cover.

They most likely couldn't find a proof for the back cover or get a hold of a cd with the back over, as when it was first published (the cd, in the US at least) there was no back cover. The track listing and barcode just appeared on the disc itself.

Oh it's a pity these reissues are of poor quality. The digital versions of Madonna's albums are pretty sloppy too. Some of them have badly scanned artwork, You Can Dance has some tracks credited to "Madonna" and others to "MADONNA" and TIC has some tracks replaced by weird extended remixes, not the original Q Sound versions. It's a shame as many people probably buy her albums this way. It's as if they got the work experience boy to prepare them.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/nov/25/box-set-christmas-music-industry

Dan Chalmers from Rino UK quoted in this interesting piece in the Guardian

Looking across the range of box sets in the market, they betray something of a bias towards rock music. Will other genres, like pop, ever get the same treatment? "I think Madonna's True Blue would work brilliantly," Chalmers says. "We are talking to Madonna and her reps about various product plans – but a record like that would work perfectly. I don't think it's limited to specific audiences."

• 5 months later...

Okay, so after a few months of avoiding STR vinyl reissue due to bad reviews, I decided to go ahead and buy it anyway since it was only £12.07 on Amazon, bargain really.

Anyway, after unpacking it I was delighted to see the 12 "artwork and I do like the flower on the back of the jacket, it's very sharp.

I was prepared to be disappointed when I put the vinyl on the turntable and sent it spinning, preparing myself to turn the volume all the way up a long with the bass. I Want You begins, and although there is a bit a surface noise (none of my 180g records make this noise), once the songs begin the surface noise is buried, and what pours out of the the speakers is beautifully textured music at a perfect volume (LAP vinyl reissue is much quieter than this). I'd honestly never heard I Want You sound so good, there were so many instrumentation layers that I've never heard before, it was a whole new experience. I'll Remember sounds beautiful, Take A Bow is great, I could hear the bass perfectly fine, Crazy for You sounds so fresh on vinyl, the booming reverberated snare sounds so powerful.

I'm also glad that it's on 1 vinyl because flipping the discs can be a frustrating, I understand why it should technically be on 2 discs but it sounds great to me.

Anyway, that's my review and experience with the album, I'll probably post it on amazon too because I really think those bad reviews are misleading, the vinyl pressing is far better than 2 stars.

Edited by tasteinmen