Looking back: the "What It Feels Like For A Girl" Video

Ugly Hecty

Even though the video was banned in the US, it definitely wasn't everywhere else. I was in the Dominican Republic in 2001 and I saw the video on MTV Latin America quite frequently.

tumblr_madbn8kUr81r7e9vpo1_250.gif

tumblr_madbn8kUr81r7e9vpo2_250.gif

tumblr_madbn8kUr81r7e9vpo4_250.gif

tumblr_madbn8kUr81r7e9vpo5_250.gif

tumblr_madbn8kUr81r7e9vpo6_250.gif

tumblr_madbn8kUr81r7e9vpo7_250.gif

tumblr_madbn8kUr81r7e9vpo8_250.gif

Looking back at the video now, was it really that "violent"? There are action movies that are more "violent" than the video was, and they weren't "censored" in America, so this shouldn't have been either.

was very edgy and had a fun mood. probably guys best work. :popcorn2:

guy´s best work is her BMW add...

the video, well, it´s ok, but this song is not WITLFAG...there should have been one for the album version (or something similar to the album´s song) and then this as a remix video.what they did was to kill the album´s sales

Guest bluejean

I love the video and it totally works with that remix and compliments the sentiment of the song in a very left of field way. But I do prefer the album version of the song. It's like 2 different songs basically.

Actually, I know we've said this a zillion times but that album could have had so many more singles. Imagine it:

Music

Don't Tell Me

What It Feels Like For a Girl

Impressive Instant

Paradise (Not For Me)

Probably would have given Amazing a miss. It definitely had hit potential but it's so Beautiful Stranger Part 2. Infact, Impressive Instant could have been the 3rd single in the UK/Europe, I think it would have been big.

agree with promise and bluejean except for

Music

Don't Tell Me

What It Feels Like For a Girl (album version)

Impressive Instant Gone (or I deserve it)

Paradise (Not For Me) (II, just for the love of fanbase) and no amazing

I will never stop thinking about Impressive instant being the summer anthem of 2001! they should have released that in Europe, and maybe Gone or something more classic for the US (with II as a maxi...).I don´t know, so many opportunities missed with this album, especially because her 1998-2001 era was her last huge era in the US (sales wise, radio wise...it seems that it was cool to like madonna, which a lot of times it doesn´t happen), and Music, the album , it´s really worth it, and it seems overshadowed by ROL´s success

A video to show your straight male friends.....they gain instant respect.

The "ban" did nothing to help the popularity of the video or the song, but it added a definite gem to Madonna music video legacy. Unfortunately this is one of the final examples of her edge, interest and effort when it comes to this art form.

Guest bluejean

I never thought of 'Gone' as single material. Although I absolutely LOVE that song.

Oh and regarding WIFLFAG I love the Calderone & Quayle Dark Side Mix!!!

I never cared of "What If feels Like for a girl." It bores me. It feels like a "reductive" lol version of Britney's "Not A Girl, Not Yet a Woman" for some reason. I can tolerate the "What It Feels Like For A Girl (Richard Vission Velvet Masta Edit)" version of the song. It's a huge improvement over the original. I found the video version forgettable due to the lack of lyrics. :)

Guest bluejean

I never cared of "What If feels Like for a girl." It bores me. It feels like a "reductive" lol version of Britney's "Not A Girl, Not Yet a Woman" for some reason.

What the...?

I never cared of "What If feels Like for a girl." It bores me. It feels like a "reductive" lol version of Britney's "Not A Girl, Not Yet a Woman" for some reason. I can tolerate the "What It Feels Like For A Girl (Richard Vission Velvet Masta Edit)" version of the song. It's a huge improvement over the original. I found the video version forgettable due to the lack of lyrics. :)

I agree. The original might tolerable without the awful wangy guitar through it but overall it's an album track. I do like the sentiment but just not a great song IMHO.

But, the remix and video are brilliant and possibly under appreciated.

I never cared of "What If feels Like for a girl." It bores me. It feels like a "reductive" lol version of Britney's "Not A Girl, Not Yet a Woman" for some reason.

are you kiddin? :ohmy:

I never thought of 'Gone' as single material. Although I absolutely LOVE that song.

Oh and regarding WIFLFAG I love the Calderone & Quayle Dark Side Mix!!!

sorry, but i'm totally ignorant about remixes...is that one remix (Calderone & Quayle Dark Side Mix)? or are two different mixes (Calderone mix & Quayle Dark Side Mix)?

Guest bluejean

One mix.

It was the one used on DWT if im not mistaken

Yes the DWT version is based on that version, except its not in Spanish.

Yep, the banning was absurd. But the video is amazing and i love the remix of the song more than the original (i love both versions but this remix is LIFE).

Me too...I love the Remix very much more than the original but i also like the original...I guess the original version wouldn't have matched the concept of the video...I can envision a sweeter softer video for the original but not this great video with the remix...it happens the same with celebration for me...I fucking love the remix version more than the original...the Ban was pretty absurd indeed...but that just speaks how Madonna has always pressed butoms.

shoot-me-5085-1310928168-9.jpg

..Unfortunately this is one of the final examples of her edge, interest and effort when it comes to this art form.

Her last great video, imo, and one of her best. The remix and album version, all great.