General Madonna Q & A Thread

CJM

Thought we could have a thread for general questions that people might not want to start an entire thread about. I have a couple to start off with.

Do we know who 'She's Not Me' is about?

How many languages can M speak? (fluent or otherwise)

Great idea! Here's mine: Can anyone tell me how implicated Madonna is in the writing/production of her songs? Any interview from Madonna herself, producers,... would be welcome, thanks! ;)

I remember reading Tracy Anderson? Gwyneth? I don't think it's about someone in particular... Thief of Hearts on the other hand... Robin Wright? I remember reading Annette Bening? This could just be a "who is this song about" thread because I have lots of questions - Voices? Devil? To Have and Not to Hold? those are just off the top of my head.

And I think M speaks English obviously, bad spanish, and conversational french (she has definitely improved since Brahim, the MDNA doc showed her speaking french with dancers)

This is a cool thread, bit like us posting the questions we would like to ask M if there was a m nation Organised M Q & A session, so many things I would like to ask but my mind has gone blank...How about,

' I know M has no regrets and nothing is perfect, however if she had to go back and change or re-do any of her studio albums, which one, does she think now she would choose and any reasons why?'

Thought we could have a thread for general questions that people might not want to start an entire thread about. I have a couple to start off with.

I thought Shes not me was about Guys new younger girlfriend? We all knew they had separated during HC and were going to announce it after the first leg. I think M can speak quite good Spanish and Italian, almost fluent in French and knows some Japanese.

For She's Not Me, I have a theory that since the album was written around the time of her marriage breakdown to Guy, that maybe the lyrics of SNM could be a reflection of how she felt about the person she became while being Mrs Ritchie from the point of view of the side of herself that she had been suppressing during her marriage. Sort of a realisation that maybe she wasn't being fully being herself and that the person she was with Guy was not her. The person doing English Roses and living as the lady of the manor may have looked like her, but deep down that's not the person she is. There is also the possibility that i'm reading too much into the lyrics and that it is just a fun song Madonna wrote :chuckle:

Bad Spanish? :lol:

She can't speak Spanish at all, knowing a few sentences and using them in her shows doesn't make her a Spanish speaker.

She may know some French, but considering she didn't even know how to form basic sentences like "I'm going to tell you a secret" (and no, saying "C'est tout" isn't a special thing either) I doubt she knows the language much more than Spanish.

Bad Spanish? :lol:

She can't speak Spanish at all, knowing a few sentences and using them in her shows doesn't make her a Spanish speaker.

She may know some French, but considering she didn't even know how to form basic sentences like "I'm going to tell you a secret" (and no, saying "C'est tout" isn't a special thing either) I doubt she knows the language much more than Spanish.

She can speak French for sure! She was just testing Lola on the dvd.

Guest Rachelle of London

Yeah she was just doing tat ting that Mums do to test their kids...her French isnt perfect, remember on te making of 4 minutes when her and Justin couldnt understand the directors...

I think her Spanish and Italian extends to a few learnt phrases and that's it. Her French does seem a bit better but still, it's hard to tell when she's just shouting out a few phrases on a DVD although the best way to learn is in bed!

As for She's Not Me, wasn't it just speculation that it was Guy's new girlfriend as she didn't arrive until way after HC came out. I'm sure she's said that her songs are really about one person but a whole load of people that are relevant.

For She's Not Me, I have a theory that since the album was written around the time of her marriage breakdown to Guy, that maybe the lyrics of SNM could be a reflection of how she felt about the person she became while being Mrs Ritchie from the point of view of the side of herself that she had been suppressing during her marriage. Sort of a realisation that maybe she wasn't being fully being herself and that the person she was with Guy was not her. The person doing English Roses and living as the lady of the manor may have looked like her, but deep down that's not the person she is. There is also the possibility that i'm reading too much into the lyrics and that it is just a fun song Madonna wrote :chuckle:/>

That's a really cool interpretation!

Thank you everyone for your replies! Feel free to continue.

Apart from the YouTube video did M ever say anything about the hydrangeas incident? I was watching videos last night related to that incident it was all too funny.. The uproar of it all :rotfl:

My question is - is Waiting about Warren Beatty? I recently read her 1991 Vanity Fair interview where she talks about (I'm paraphrasing here) how difficult it is to accept that you can't change peoples minds, and I instantly thought of Waiting.

Speaking about Warren, two of my customers at work started talking to me about Carly Simon cause of my name and told me You're so Vain was written about him, so I started talking about Dick Tracy and how much I love Madonna.

Seriously, I can turn every conversation into Madonna somehow. 6 degrees of Madonna lol.

Question: what is the best M biography to read?

I remember reading Tracy Anderson? Gwyneth? I don't think it's about someone in particular... Thief of Hearts on the other hand... Robin Wright? I remember reading Annette Bening? This could just be a "who is this song about" thread because I have lots of questions - Voices? Devil? To Have and Not to Hold? those are just off the top of my head.

And I think M speaks English obviously, bad spanish, and conversational french (she has definitely improved since Brahim, the MDNA doc showed her speaking french with dancers)

Where can i see this MDNA doc where she speaks French ?

Where can i see this MDNA doc where she speaks French ?

It's the full 20 minute MDNA Workshop thing from Epix. I don't know how much french it was, it's only in passing, but I remember thinking she was very comfortable with it, it was quick and light.

• 1 month later...

Question: what is the best M biography to read?

Madonna: Like an Icon is at my library. Is it worth reading?