Madonna’s boyfriend launches Defend fashion label

Guest groovyguy

I think Madonna has stronger morals than to make money off of a charity clothing line. She already has enough money why would she resort to that?

Guest Rachelle of London

Why are the perfumes, gyms, clothing lines a problem? I love the side ventures. I remember a few years ago fans were complaining that M hasnt brought out a perfume yet loooool

she can do whatever she wants...i cant see a problem with defend. some likes it some not. whatever.

gyms are not my cup of tee but i dont have anything against it just beacuse i dont like it.

Why do you think she needs to stop with her biz side projects? It's making her huge money on top of her already massive touring/licensing revenue? Would you give that up? She's always been a very business oriented person on top of her genuine artistic commitment/background

As long as she gives her fans and casual fans a quality music project such as the MDNA album and tour I don't see a problem if she wants to open 100 gyms and start 20 clothing lines. Other acts' careers revolve JUST on that and have done so for ages now

Because in my opinion, at least as far as last year's business ventures are concerned (especially the perfume), it distracted her way too much and made the music look less important. Sure, the tour was great, but I've said it a thousand times and I'll keep saying it - MDNA sounded very rushed and the quality of the music suffered from it. Also, instead of promoting her album which has been released just days ago, she launched her perfume and that was basically the only real appearance from her before the tour kicked off. I also believe the gyms, or to be precise the fitness DVD, is totally embarassing considering her legacy and her status as one of the world's greatest icons. Promoting a fitness DVD under her name is really Z-star like for me, sorry.

I don't have anything against her business ideas, but it's annoying me that they seemed to be much more important for her than her music last year. MDNA was the first album by her where I felt she didn't put all her effort into her music.

Why are the perfumes, gyms, clothing lines a problem? I love the side ventures. I remember a few years ago fans were complaining that M hasnt brought out a perfume yet loooool

I have a problem with some of the side ventures. It never struck me as very artistic to have a gym, perfume etc. I mean Madonna has always been about physical fitness but she seems to be including it more in her work and then the gyms. Also every time I see the word "brand" I want to be ill. It sounds like a product on a grocery shelf.

I don't know what this defend whatever or the Secret Project is really about because on the surface, in the details I don't get it. Don't like her recent choices either but I don't mind something where all the money goes to charity. Excuse me, something that has a real point to it and that coincides with her true values as well. I've followed her since the eighties. She has me slightly confused right now.

I have a problem with some of the side ventures. It never struck me as very artistic to have a gym, perfume etc. I mean Madonna has always been about physical fitness but she seems to be including it more in her work and then the gyms. Also every time I see the word "brand" I want to be ill. It sounds like a product on a grocery shelf.

I don't know what this defend whatever or the Secret Project is really about because on the surface, in the details I don't get it. Don't like her recent choices either but I don't mind something where all the money goes to charity. Excuse me, something that has a real point to it and that coincides with her true values as well. I've followed her since the eighties. She has me slightly confused right now.

All the profits go to charity but what are the costs? It's amazing how many people tied up with charities seem to live a very prosperous life. If a hooded tops cost $50, how do we know if it's $1 or $25 profit once they've removd cost of production, adminisitration, SALARIES? I'm not saying that M or Brahim are creaming it off but I take things like this with a pinch of salt.

Personally, if you want to give something to charity, I don't see why you should expect something in return. That's the whole point of a charity.

Because in my opinion, at least as far as last year's business ventures are concerned (especially the perfume), it distracted her way too much and made the music look less important. Sure, the tour was great, but I've said it a thousand times and I'll keep saying it - MDNA sounded very rushed and the quality of the music suffered from it. Also, instead of promoting her album which has been released just days ago, she launched her perfume and that was basically the only real appearance from her before the tour kicked off. I also believe the gyms, or to be precise the fitness DVD, is totally embarassing considering her legacy and her status as one of the world's greatest icons. Promoting a fitness DVD under her name is really Z-star like for me, sorry.

I don't have anything against her business ideas, but it's annoying me that they seemed to be much more important for her than her music last year. MDNA was the first album by her where I felt she didn't put all her effort into her music.

I see what you mean as far as a desire and care for promoting the music goes

The quality of MDNA is fine though. Not a ROL or LAP but a damn fine album. More than satisfying after 30 years. And speaking of 30 years it always baffles me reading that she ought to have promoted it more. The album did his job.

She's one of a handful who's been around forever and still gets a #12 year-end worldwide best-selling record. And the fact that she obtained that without doing extensive promotion just shows how very much she's alive in the casual audience consciousness. Maybe they actually liked the album and the tour was a perfect materialisation and organic development of the album themes/ concepts

There's people in the pop world who are in their 40s and 30s who have been famous for 10 - 15 years max and can't do that anymore. She's 54 and as long as I get a more than satisfying album, an engaging, fun and well thought out tour, I am happy for her to do 2 back-to back LV and D&G Fashion campaigns which make her $60m in a year when she's not touring and open her gym chains and her perfumes etc

People need to realise that the era of album promotion the way it used to be conceived and what it was functional to is officially OVER with for ANY artist, especially for those that can afford to go and make tens of millions on tour. You see some of the tackiest shit being sold by people who have 5 hits to their name and nobody will go and see them live. I can't certainly blame her if she'll continue to mass capitalise on her music and image in the next year

At least with her you're getting something interesting, pleasant to the ears and eyes 99% of the times

^^ I don't know the what the details of this partucular venture are but even if someone got anything out if it the recipient of the cause is still receiving help. There are a lot of ways to give to charities. I don't care about business or money so I can be neutral about it. You can be in a position to help many people if it's done correctly or you can just give away with no plan for the future.

I see what you mean as far as a desire and care for promoting the music goes

The quality of MDNA is fine though. Not a ROL or LAP but a damn fine album. More than satisfying after 30 years. And speaking of 30 years it always baffles me reading that she ought to have promoted it more. The album did his job.

I agree with you, however the disappointing thing for me is - she said she wouldn't do much promo for the album, and I was fine with that as she said it beforehand. As she obviously was busy with the tour rehearsals as well, I didn't even expect her to do much promo for the album anyway, she just didn't seem to have much time for it. However, when she suddently turned up days after the album release to launch the TOD perfume and didn't even mention her album, it came across that she just didn't care enough about the album to bother promoting it.

She's one of a handful who's been around forever and still gets a #12 year-end worldwide best-selling record. And the fact that she obtained that without doing extensive promotion just shows how very much she's alive in the casual audience consciousness.

True, she didn't obtain it by doing promotion, but by giving the albums away for free :lol:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Cheapens the brand. The BEDDING SETS will be next.

When she brings out a brand like Kylie at Home, I will be worried :D I think the Defend brand is a good idea but I think it's a bad idea for M to fund it. But maybe it's her brand and she is only using him as a spokesperson and she'll sit back and reap the rewards. It would be a bit of a push having this and Material Girl and Truth or Dare. So maybe it's just savvy marketing.

I don't think it's a good idea to have guns on your clothing, particularly when I think about school kids wearing this stuff. Just my opinion.

Agreed. Doesn't he realize that he's contributing to the bullshit gun culture in America.

When I see that label I don't think "fashion", I think "what a f***ing red-neck hick".

Edited by WeboGirl

Why are you so sure?

Im not sure. There has to be some money kept from the profits to manage the business though. I dont know how the donation process is going to work, is it 100% of the profits going to the charities? Ms is getting something out of it, at least her investment back, I doubt she's just going to give brahim a wad of cash and end of.

In Bed with Madonna!

:chuckle: Maybe it would be worth it afterall. Just for the chance to use that tagline. Dem SATIN SHEETS (1600 thread count if you please) would fly off the shelf!

Guest Rachelle of London

:chuckle: Maybe it would be worth it afterall. Just for the chance to use that tagline. Dem SATIN SHEETS (1600 thread count if you please) would fly off the shelf!

They actually would! :chuckle:

Guest Rachelle of London

So does this mean Brahim is given his notice? Didn't DjayZoosh get a career bonus 2?

We'll know when shes given him the boot, she'll unfollow im from Instagram ahaaha

I agree with you, however the disappointing thing for me is - she said she wouldn't do much promo for the album, and I was fine with that as she said it beforehand. As she obviously was busy with the tour rehearsals as well, I didn't even expect her to do much promo for the album anyway, she just didn't seem to have much time for it. However, when she suddently turned up days after the album release to launch the TOD perfume and didn't even mention her album, it came across that she just didn't care enough about the album to bother promoting it.

True, she didn't obtain it by doing promotion, but by giving the albums away for free :lol:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Not really Nonoka

MDNA sold 1.8m copies worldwide according to the industry body IFPI. That redemption /MDNA Tour ticket deal was for her US fans only. MDNA sold about 500k copies in the US and of that 500 000 copies not even half came from people getting the album because they purchased a tour ticket. In any case even a 500k figure is not even a third of the total number of copies the album ended up selling

#12 best-selling record of the year for a 54 year old woman doing pop music is simply amazing Who cares if she wants to open a gym or do a deal with Aldo to flog her own shoes? The album is good the tour is amazing and she's everywhere in the media over the stupidest detail on top of being the highest-earning celebrity out there

She is not diminishing herself. She's just strategizing. Naming her Macy line with possibly her most famous moniker/signature song from the mid 80s is simply brilliant. Same for her TOD range. It's all about product association that eventually will bring a specific customer (a 13 yo girl who might not be aware of DSS for understandable reasons) back to her name/ her own catalogue

The great thing about her is that she's very good at mixing commercial sensibility/clever media exposure with what she's interested in putting out as an artist and using that very commercial sensibility to distribute her artistic vision to the widest audience in the best and most effective possible way

Guest Rachelle of London

^there was a chance to include the album with your tickets in Finland too..

you got the album free with your tickets aswell...thought it was only US

you got the album free with your tickets aswell...thought it was only US

Its not free. Ypu payed for the album TOGETHER with the ticket.

Oh Brahim and Madonna, please DEFEND me from the Taliban, and from your next movie release, and from the aliens from the tv mini series V, from this asian meal I am about to consume, and from the release date of the secret project, and most importantly from your shitouse t- shirts.

I feel like I can walk the streets of Australia safely, knowing that I am wearing a DEFEND tshirt, so flygirl and don't no gangster pick on me, or I will defend.

Does the tshirt come in medium, and white?

In the words of comic book guy: Worst ( tackiest ) Project Ever!!!