Happy 27th Anniversary, True Blue!

Guest groovyguy

Guest groovyguy

tumblr_inline_mp9sgyL2t71qz4rgp.png

On June 30th, True Blue turned 27.

True Blue was Madonna’s third album, and it marked another phase on Madonna’s chameleonic career: she had already gone from dance music (Madonna), to unapologetic pop (Like a Virgin). With True Blue, Madonna’s music became more mature, and it sounded like a cool progressive adult pop record.

According to author and journalist Lucy O’Brien, True Blue’s artwork was "on-par with Andy Warhol’s concept of pop art.”She felt that the image was "a mixture of innocence, idealism, while incorporating 50s-style Technicolor and hand tinted color, characteristic of Warhol’s silkscreen printed design, prevalent in the 60s.

"Madonna made explicit the connection between Warhol and herself, the vivid nexus between pop art and commerce. The late 1980s marked a new era of the pop artist as a brand, and Madonna became the first one to exploit this.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnatribe.com/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8349

Papa Don't Preach is the big worldwide hit Madonna enjoyed this month back in July 1986.

The original version was written by Brian Elliot and intended for another singer. Elliot apparently wrote the song, about teenage pregnancy, after he heard schoolgirls gossiping about a pregnant friend outside his studio in Los Angeles. Madonna then added some lyrics to made the song her own.

Papa was a huge a commercial success for Madonna and was well received by critics. For the video, directed by James Foley (with a cameo by her long time friend Debi Mazar), she dared to cut her hair short leaving out all the signature jewlery that was her trademark til then.

Actor Danny Aiello played Madonna's fathe in the video. He was recently interviewed on the Jim & Kim Show and revelead that he never wanted to play Madonna's father role in her "Papa Don't Preach" music video back in 1986.

"My daughter talked me into that," he said, "I didn't want to do it because, ya know, I don't do videos".

He also explained he didn't accept the $450 for the shoot in exchange for his daughter, who was a huge fan, to be allowed on set to take pictures.

Aiello's opinion on Madonna hasn't changed much since they met at the time her "True Blue" album was released, not to say he isn't brutally honest about what he thinks about the Material Girl.

"She hasn’t changed much, except I think she was a better singer when she was sorta brand new," he told Jim & Kim.

But despite the criticism, the big screen actor still remembers her fondly.

"She was very nice to me, I suppose it was a father/daughter relationship."

Check out the Jim & Kim Show's website on fresh1027 for the complete story and to listen to Aiello's story straight from him.

Papa Don't Preach became Madonna's fourth number-one single on the Billboard Hot 100, and number one in the United Kingdom, Australia and Europe.

Madonna performed the song live during her Who's That Girl Tour, Blond Ambition Tour, re-Invention Tour and MDNA Tour while in 2002 Kelly Osbourne recorded a rock version included on her debut album.

Absolutely LOVE that album, that era, that Madonna, that energy! Everything from the TB era into the Whos That Girl period has aged nicely might I add. And I know we all talk shit about the grannylicious hair, but let us not forget she was drop dead gorgeous at times;

tumblr_mpefurarhY1qzjr2jo1_400.png

Guest groovyguy

^ Me too. Remember seeing the beautiful display of the cassette tapes on the shelf. And I didn't even know it was released that day. Just happen to visit the music store that day.

$T2eC16h,!zUE9s39!e8rBRM6L4qmHg~~60_35.JPG

Yes, the extended cover shot- I had the cassette, but I'm not sure what happened to it.

The album tracks don't hold up to the singles, but the singles, in general, are so strong that it doesn't even matter.

And I know we all talk shit about the grannylicious hair, but let us not forget she was drop dead gorgeous at times;

Her face was gorgeous all the time, it were the eyebrows which sometimes made her look a bit odd.

I really like how she radically changed her image for the Live To Tell video to start the True Blue era. This is not one of my favorite albums, but I like that there were five singles & videos released. I wish there would have been four to five videos for HC and especially MDNA.

Let's see, summer of '86 I was 15. I remember waiting for my brother to get home so he would drive me to Sam Goody. I bought Madonna, True Blue and Depeche Mode, Black Celebration. (My brother bought Van Halen). LOL.

Good memories.

This was more of my sister's Madonna era than mine (I didn't become a hardcore fan until Like A Prayer). However, I remember hearing this album a million times over the summer of 1986. At the beach, in the car, at home. Probably her most PURE POP album ever and also her most 80's-sounding. It definitely has a strong summer vibe, and there is a youthful exuberance to it, even after all these years.

I don't think she has made a consistently happy album about love since this effort. Even Ray of Light was more melancholy than carefree and uplifting.

I don't think she has made a consistently happy album about love since this effort. Even Ray of Light was more melancholy than carefree and uplifting.

Agreed. That what happens when you're riding the coattails of love. Sean made her happy for a short time.

True Blue is a classic album. I can honestly say I like every song on it even including the song most Madonna fans hate - Jimmy Jimmy. I thought it was cute, catchy and loved singing along to it.

Like a Virgin made Madonna the most talked about woman in the world. True Blue confirmed her superstar status and was so gratifying as completely shut up all of the critics who said she would not be around in 6 months. There are so many classics - Papa don't preach, Open your heart, La isla Bonita, the title song and of course the ballad that I still marvel at today - Live to tell.

True Blue also gave us some of Madonna's most iconic video clips. Even today they are copied, commented on and admired. I have love for every music style and album Madonna has released. True Blue though is one of my all time favourites. True Blue was her love-filled, sweet sounding melodic masterpiece. Love this album with a passion.

^ Me too. Remember seeing the beautiful display of the cassette tapes on the shelf. And I didn't even know it was released that day. Just happen to visit the music store that day.

$T2eC16h,!zUE9s39!e8rBRM6L4qmHg~~60_35.JPG

I remember when I first played this. I missed the Like A Virgin look but the music was the best!

This takes me back but weren't cassettes a pain? True Blue can be listened to straight through but remember rewinding and counting to get to certain songs on cassettes? The tape getting stuck.

Guest Pud Whacker

love it all - including LOVE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND.

la la la la la

la la la la

la la la la la

la la la la

One of the best five singles released from an album ever!

Live to tell

Papa don't preach

True Blue

Open your heart

La Isla Bonita

I mean, what else can compete with this? MJ's Bad?...naaaa

I've never really been a fan of remixes but I am in love with both True Blue (The Color Mix) and La Isla Bonita (Extended Remix). True Blue is one of favourites from Madonna though the non-singles sound a bit weak amongst the strong singles but they're still extremely enjoyable. Especially White Heat and Where's the Party.

I loved it as a child, i fell in love with Madonna with Into The Groove, but when i bought TB i was always playing it. And ALWAYS ALWAYS, like ten times a day! I really liked, besides the popular ones, White Heat and Love Makes The World...

I always thought this era had a 50s/60s vibe. The leather jacket is very revel without a cause (Jimmy,jimmy), the 60s girl group sound of True Blue, also PDP which is the 80s' "love Child" (Diana Ross), LMTWGR is very Carmen Miranda and the cover art.

Even that interview with Jane Pauley, where they talk about Ms vintage 50s dress. She said she liked the juxtaposition of a 80s woman wearing a dress for a oppressive era. I'm I reaching?

I always thought this era had a 50s/60s vibe. The leather jacket is very revel without a cause (Jimmy,jimmy), the 60s girl group sound of True Blue, also PDP which is the 80s' "love Child" (Diana Ross), LMTWGR is very Carmen Miranda and the cover art.

Even that interview with Jane Pauley, where they talk about Ms vintage 50s dress. She said she liked the juxtaposition of a 80s woman wearing a dress for a oppressive era. I'm I reaching?

No! I have always thought one of M's strengths is to tie the history of pop music into chains in her albums - True Blue is 50s/60s meets 80s pop like LAP is 80s adult contemp meets 60s funk and rock, Erotica brings jazz and disco to house and r&b, funk and disco meet hip hop on Hard Candy, and COADF is like a revue of dance music all brought up to date.