Madonna Album Cover (Variations)- Notably "Bedtime Stories"

christopherm

220px-Madonna_-_Bedtime_Stories.jpg

I want a good quality image of the Bedtime Stories artwork. I don't like the dark one they have on iTunes. I was wondering if any of you could help me out :)

I prefer the upside down version, but if you have the right side up version I wouldn't mind! (beggars can't be choosers after all LOL)

It doesn't have to be too large either 500x500 is a good enough size for me! Thanks in advance.

-Christopher

It sucks. This is the one album cover that WBR could not provide a HQ digital scan of. And any fan that has ever scanned it can't get the colors right. I actually don't mind the itunes cover (even if it's slightly cropped and theres a scratch on it, but the colors are pretty acuarate)

I have a folder collection of all her album/singles covers in HQ. I think I might have this...

I get so OCD when it comes to organizing my iTunes. I like to have the album cover that looks exactly like the cd. The iTunes version looks kind of dirty. LOL if you can't find it no worries though :)

albumartexchange.com is the place to go for great album cover art.

Wow, thank you for that site! I've been looking for the original cover of the first album in HQ, but the only ones I found had that annoying black bar at the top. But this site has the one I was searching for!

Wow, thank you for that site! I've been looking for the original cover of the first album in HQ, but the only ones I found had that annoying black bar at the top. But this site has the one I was searching for!

That annoying black bar at the top is part of the cover.

I know this has been asked like a thousand times, but why are there two different versions of the BS artwork?

As legend goes, the original cover is the one where Madonna looks upside down, but while the album was being printed and packaged in a factory, one of the workers thought there was an error and corrected the cover by flipping it the other way.

All the early pressings had the incorrect cover, until they corrected it and used the original "upside down" (though uncropped M isn't upside down. It's right side up) version.

That's what I was always told

As legend goes, the original cover is the one where Madonna looks upside down, but while the album was being printed and packaged in a factory, one of the workers thought there was an error and corrected the cover by flipping it the other way.

All the early pressings had the incorrect cover.

That's what I was always told

As far as I know Warner deliberately changed because it was "confusing".

So the "incorrect" image is the upside down one? (Which is actually the right way image?)

Well, basing it off the uncropped photo:

Madonna+5036461.jpg

Yes, the incorrect one M is upside down.

This is the original cover:

Well, basing it off the uncropped photo:

Madonna+5036461.jpg

Yes, the incorrect one M is upside down.

This is the original cover:

Thanks, they should have kept it like that.

I dont think a worker of the factory decided to change. If that was the case, the factory would have to make everything again since they screw up what was requested. That seems a little joke fans made up. ;)

BedtimeStoriesComparisonsmall.png

Yes, every format, advert, poster, billboard, duratran, postcard, sheet music book and commercial during 1994 featured the album with Madonna's image appearing upright (as on the left).

It wasn't until the second North American pressing that showed up in stores throughout 1995 and 1996 that the image was flipped to what happens to be closer to the orientation of the photograph as it was taken. This only changed in the US as far as I know and to this day every other country still utilizes the "upright" cover.

This was also done for the cassette release:

m1.jpgm1.jpg

I don't think this was a mistake at all. The pink lettering of her name was clearly designed to stand out against the bed. When the image was flipped the blue title lettering for Bedtime Stories almost disappears. I've always thought this had less to do with what was "correct' and more to do with either Madonna preferring one version over the other and compromising with the label OR --the more likely scenario-- a shrewd marketing decision to sell additional copies of the album to fans/collectors who'd already purchased it. Made me buy multiples.

This sort of happened again the following year with Something To Remember which initially came without a back insert (the bar code appeared on a text-only disc that also contained all of the track listing information and was displayed outwardly in a clear tray.) In 1996 the second pressing of the disc was changed to yellow floral graphics and came with a white tray and back insert featuring another gorgeous Testino/Versace shot that had originally only been used on print and poster advertisements for the compilation:

527136056_tp.jpg

4440251916_1b25d44fc1.jpg

Original first US pressing CD issued without back insert:

2.jpg

Second pressing CD:

3.jpg

I wonder which versions I'll get. I ordered both Bedtime Stories & Something to Remember (used) from one of my favorite record shops. Gotta have those hard copies for the car :D

Maybe they forgot to swap the color on the text when correcting the image? I just can't see the 1st pressing cover having been the original (on the left), her whole face and eyes look completely strange if you stare at for too long.