Forbes Celebrity 100 (2013)

davejr.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - After two years as a runner-up, Oprah Winfrey was named the most powerful celebrity on Wednesday by Forbes, heading the six women and four men who make up the top 10.

It was the fifth time the former talk show host who runs her own TV network has headed the annual ranking of 100 celebrities.

Singer Lady Gaga came in second, followed by director/producer Steven Spielberg and singers Beyonce and Madonna.

"There is nobody else with that kind of consistency and power," said Dorothy Pomerantz of Forbes.com. "There are only three people who have been on every single one of our lists since 1999. It is Oprah, Howard Stern and Steven Spielberg."

Singer and actress Jennifer Lopez, who was No. 1 last year, dropped to 12th place.

With earnings of $77 million from June 2012 to 2013, Winfrey was not the highest earning celebrity, an honor that went to Madonna who made $125 million, but Forbes said Winfrey's position in Hollywood and her presence in the press, on television and in social media propelled her to the No. 1 spot.

"She still wields an enormous amount of power, which is really what we look for in our fame matrix. She is taking this cable network and turning it around just through the sheer force of her will, her connections and her ability."

Despite hip surgery, which forced her to cut short a tour, Lady Gaga earned $80 million in the past 12 months which, along with her army of fans and powerful social media presence, assured her second place.

"She is still a huge force in pop music. Even when she is not playing, people are talking about her and speculating about her," Pomerantz said.

Spielberg, with earnings of $100 million in the last year, was the top man on the list, ahead of rock star Bon Jovi at No. 7, tennis champion Roger Federer and Justin Bieber, the youngest member of the list, squeezed into the top ten at No.9.

Although only 23, sixth place singer Taylor Swift, made the list for the first time and rounded out the top 10 along with Emmy-award winning TV talk show host Ellen DeGeneres.

MONEY, FAME, SOCIAL MEDIA

Forbes based a celebrity's earnings on income from tours, books, contracts, endorsements, movies and residuals. Each celebrity was given a marketability score, developed by California market research firm E-Poll.

It gauged fame and influence by how often celebrities appear in the media. It used Starcount, a Singapore-based company that looks at 11 social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, to determine their presence in social media.

"In today's world celebrities have this enormous ability to reach out to their fans, who really are their customers, and to sell their product, which is really themselves. If they don't take advantage of that it hurts them," said Pomerantz.

Pop stars, most notably Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Barbados-born singer Rihanna, are particularly good with handling social media, according to Forbes.

Guest SecretGarden
Despite hip surgery, which forced her to cut short a tour, Lady Gaga earned $80 million in the past 12 months which, along with her army of fans and powerful social media presence, assured her second place.

"She is still a huge force in pop music. Even when she is not playing, people are talking about her and speculating about her," Pomerantz said.

I'm sorry but this is complete bullshit, nobody talks nor speculates about her besides her obsessed cult like fans. Madonna should have placed higher than her.

Edited by SecretGarden

How typical. Just wondering who had the highest grossing tour of last year ? Who had the biggest audience ever watching her Superbowl performance ? Will Forbes ever be professional enough to get over their hatred and bias against Madonna ? I know people will say that this is not important but these stupid Forbes lists are posted everywhere on the net and people read them. They are trying to make Gaga important and put Madonna down. Must be payola. Also, on another note, after Madonna surely the next biggest female star of last year was Rihanna. Both Rihanna and Beyonce should be higher than Gaga. So sick of Forbes, they are just as bad as the Daily Fail.

this part also makes me angry...

Spielberg, with earnings of $100 million in the last year, was the top man on the list, ahead of rock star Bon Jovi at No. 7, tennis champion Roger Federer and Justin Bieber, the youngest member of the list, squeezed into the top ten at No.9.

if Madonna earned more than Spielberg??in what part of the criteria was she above madonna that placed him no.3??social media??fame?radio?tv??ughhhh..

How typical. Just wondering who had the highest grossing tour of last year ? Who had the biggest audience ever watching her Superbowl performance ? Will Forbes ever be professional enough to get over their hatred and bias against Madonna ? I know people will say that this is not important but these stupid Forbes lists are posted everywhere on the net and people read them. They are trying to make Gaga important and put Madonna down. Must be payola. Also, on another note, after Madonna surely the next biggest female star of last year was Rihanna. Both Rihanna and Beyonce should be higher than Gaga. So sick of Forbes, they are just as bad as the Daily Fail.

i also feel Rihanna should be above Gaga..Rihanna trumps Gaga in facebook likes, instagram and youtube views..Rihanna was also the top artist in the radio.

MONEY, FAME, SOCIAL MEDIA

Forbes based a celebrity's earnings on income from tours, books, contracts, endorsements, movies and residuals. Each celebrity was given a marketability score, developed by California market research firm E-Poll.

It gauged fame and influence by how often celebrities appear in the media. It used Starcount, a Singapore-based company that looks at 11 social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, to determine their presence in social media.

"In today's world celebrities have this enormous ability to reach out to their fans, who really are their customers, and to sell their product, which is really themselves. If they don't take advantage of that it hurts them," said Pomerantz.

Pop stars, most notably Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Barbados-born singer Rihanna, are particularly good with handling social media, according to Forbes.

Along with love I hope there is a revolution in music. Forbes patting the heads of "artists." I actually wish they would leave Madonna's name off any of their lists.

an excerpt from the article on forbes.

"Pop stars tend to do very well on this metric. Last year’s Celebrity 100 cover boy, Justin Bieber, has the most social networking power of the 100 celebrities on our list, followed by Rihanna and Lady Gaga.

Of course, because we’re FORBES, money carries the most weight in our rankings, and thanks to that Madonna is back on the Celeb 100–in fifth place–after two years off the list. Even though her newest album, MDNA, was a flop, the Material Girl still managed to rank as this year’s top earner thanks to a world tour that helped her rake in $125 million between June 2012 and June 2013.

Lady Gaga, who topped our list in 2011 and is often considered Madonna’s heir, ranks second despite cutting her tour short due to a hip injury. Gaga still managed to earn $80 million and get the second-most press mentions of anyone on our list (behind Rihanna). Gaga is also a master of social networking. Her Little Monsters hang on her every tweet, making her the third most successful social networker on our list."

i even think that 125 million is too small for Madonna from last year..

It just undermines them as a magazine to state crap like this. Nobody cares about Forbes outside the US anyway.

But Gaga still has a lot of power as she's relatively new in her career. The press have been kind. If her new album ever gets released and it tanks, they'll burn her.

When will they learn that all those twitter followers and Facebook likes are by fake accounts. It was confirmed not too long ago, do they not keep up with the news?

You've got to be kidding, there are PLENTY of people that deserve that spot more than Gaga, obviously Madonna, but how did she beat out the people before her? The broken hip? The cancelled tour? Oh wait the GROUNDBREAKING BLACK PERFUME, that has to be it. Fucking hilarious.

Rediculous! MDNA was among the top sellers of the year. It might not have spanned hit singles, but by comparison to other "hot" stars it aint a flop, more like not as succesful as it should be. Also Madonna had an amazing year: great tour, videos and the press mentioned her left and right. At the same time Xerox was nowhere to be seen...

Rediculous! MDNA was among the top sellers of the year. It might not have spanned hit singles, but by comparison to other "hot" stars it aint a flop, more like not as succesful as it should be. Also Madonna had an amazing year: great tour, videos and the press mentioned her left and right. At the same time Xerox was nowhere to be seen...

"Hit singles". That is precisely what matters for them regarding popstars. The most sucessful tour of the year? No. One of the top selling albuns of the year? No. The biggest audience ever for a single event? No. The 24/7 controversies the whole year? No. All it matters is a nice spot on that damn Billboard chart list.

Madonna is by a mile more powerful than any other contemporany popstar, especially the last year. But unless she has 3 consecutive singles at the number 1 Billboard chart list for 7 weeks each plus all the accomplishments listed above, she won't go as high as 5 :lol:

And for Caca i rest my case since she is clearly made up by the media itself to knock off Madonna from the business but it fails miserably and they are trying to hold on to her as long as possible until the next big thing hits the scene and they try it again.

"Pop stars tend to do very well on this metric. Last year’s Celebrity 100 cover boy, Justin Bieber, has the most social networking power of the 100 celebrities on our list, followed by Rihanna and Lady Gaga.

Of course, because we’re FORBES, money carries the most weight in our rankings, and thanks to that Madonna is back on the Celeb 100–in fifth place–after two years off the list. Even though her newest album, MDNA, was a flop, the Material Girl still managed to rank as this year’s top earner thanks to a world tour that helped her rake in $125 million between June 2012 and June 2013.

Lady Gaga, who topped our list in 2011 and is often considered Madonna’s heir, ranks second despite cutting her tour short due to a hip injury. Gaga still managed to earn $80 million and get the second-most press mentions of anyone on our list (behind Rihanna). Gaga is also a master of social networking. Her Little Monsters hang on her every tweet, making her the third most successful social networker on our list."

Who the hell runs lady gaga's career because it sure as hell ain't her but someone with a shitload of money and pull. I mean you can almost picture a wise ass saying these things and not a writer. "Well we didn't want to include her but because we put a lot of weight in money we had to." "Even though her album blah blah blag and lady gaga blah blah blah. Shut the fuck up and just report why she's on your stupid list. Stupid boring money magazine. Can't imagine why you would put weight in money??

Edited by Larkspur

Noticed quite a few stupid things in this quote. Yet again, they have to have a dig at Madonna, calling her album a flop. Then they say that money is the most important thing but put Madonna behind Gaga even though she earned more money. The final stupid point is saying that Gaga has less press mentions than Rihanna, yet placed Gaga above Rihanna who just killed Gaga on the charts last year. Obviously payola and they don't even know how to spin it or justify it. Forbes is a joke.

Madonna could make a mass investment that garnered her a $20 billion return, buy out Oprah and all of her assets, employ Spielberg as her personal director, and pay Gaga to retire and Forbes would STILL never recognize her as the most powerful woman in the industry.

"Hit singles". That is precisely what matters for them regarding popstars. The most sucessful tour of the year? No. One of the top selling albuns of the year? No. The biggest audience ever for a single event? No. The 24/7 controversies the whole year? No. All it matters is a nice spot on that damn Billboard chart list.

Madonna is by a mile more powerful than any other contemporany popstar, especially the last year. But unless she has 3 consecutive singles at the number 1 Billboard chart list for 7 weeks each plus all the accomplishments listed above, she won't go as high as 5 :lol:

And for Caca i rest my case since she is clearly made up by the media itself to knock off Madonna from the business but it fails miserably and they are trying to hold on to her as long as possible until the next big thing hits the scene and they try it again.

:clap:

Forbes went all the way to put down m in aribtuary catergories such as social media exposure or tv exposure...but they cannot not deny the fact that M earned most!!! Seriously, did they count her superbowl appearance and recording breaking audiences as tv exposure? Also, the twits generated by her perfomance also broke twitter's record!! Their list is just a piece of shit.

Boy the media is REALLY trying to push Gaga....lol....definitely something up with that, some sort of ulterior agenda. I could definitely believe a number 2 placement for her in 2010 and 2011.....but the biggest thing she had going on within this past year is the tour. A tour that got mediocre reviews, wasn't selling as briskly as they anticipated and was cut short. Her media presence was nowhere near what it was a couple of years ago. Maybe one of those Other Bore members that lurk can create a fake profile and enlighten because I'm truly at a loss as to how she could be above Madonna for 2012-2013.

Reading that article, it's like they didn't place her high because she isn't on Twitter every 5 seconds....to put it very simply. WOW! LOL

Boy the media is REALLY trying to push Gaga....lol....definitely something up with that, some sort of ulterior agenda. I could definitely believe a number 2 placement for her in 2010 and 2011.....but the biggest thing she had going on within this past year is the tour. A tour that got mediocre reviews, wasn't selling as briskly as they anticipated and was cut short. Her media presence was nowhere near what it was a couple of years ago. Maybe one of those Other Bore members that lurk can create a fake profile and enlighten because I'm truly at a loss as to how she could be above Madonna for 2012-2013.

Reading that article, it's like they didn't place her high because she isn't on Twitter every 5 seconds....to put it very simply. WOW! LOL

As someone said, there's definitively payola going on there because there's NO WAY the medias would be constantly so desperate to praise Gaga for free. Even when something bad happens to her the medias STILL try to turn it into something positive. I noticed it for YEARS and i never saw that happen with another artist (not THAT much).

Edited by madonnasuperfan01

As someone said, there's definitively payola going on there because there's NO WAY the medias would be constantly so desperate to praise Gaga for free. Even when something bad happens to her the medias STILL try to turn it into something positive. I noticed it for YEARS and i never saw that happen with another artist (not THAT much).

True, I have never seen anyone get a free pass from the media like she does. I wish someone in the press would have the integrity to just print the truth about her instead of all of this payed for spin. The over the top praise about her has gone on for years and will start again if she releases her new CD. The constant need to try and make her seem more talented and important than Madonna is pathetic. Also Rihanna, Katy Perry and Adele have all been much more successful than her for 2 years yet they keep saying that Gaga is the woman of the moment.