Isn't Kanye's rap on Beat Goes On kinda...insulting?

debord

I don't think that's what the rap was about

This came on my iPod on shuffle the other day and it reminded me of this. Look at some of the lines in Kanye's rap - they really don't seem overly complimentary towards Madonna:

I'm like a vampire on the full moon now (Madonna being labelled a 'vampire' by critics throughout her career)

I don't know about you now but I think I wanna try something new now

cause you was losing your breath now

Uh, 'cause you be doing it to death now

She be doing E to F now

What's left now?

All lines which kinda allude to Madonna having been around for a long time and being well past her peak (she be doing E to F now = she's at the bottom of the barrel). Then he raps:

Mr West now

Can you get any more fresh now?

I think I just did, just now

ie he's the new talent here and he just served Madonna.

I got the feeling that the rap was about him being more fresh than ever and the rest was directed to whoever the song was about.

But to answer your first question, yes, I find it insulting that his rap was added into the album.

By the way, did Missy Elliot insult Madonna's rapping skills on the American Life remix with her "all I smell is cheddar" line?

I don't think so.

Cheddar is $$$$$...so she's saying she smells money (as I am sure Madonna paid her big bucks for that remix)

Kanye always sucks when he's featured on a song. His rap in Janet's My Baby is completely off topic and comes out of no where. She's singing about being in love and then he comes in and starts rapping about jewellery and houses.

33jl402.jpg

I can't.

Ever been to Saladworks? Whenever I go I always get the green goddess dressing. It's fucking DELICIOUS! It's like a ranch but so much more flavorful. I always ask for a wheat roll. I always get these mailer 'valupacks' in the mail that feature coupons for various businesses in the area. There's always Saladworks coupons in there for like $3 off, I always use them. It's better than having to pay $10 for salad when I could just make one at home and pay for nothing! But it's not the same, I'd have to go out to the grocery store and buy chunks of turkey breast. Then I have to cook the macaroni, which is just tedious for a salad, and when you put it all together it's not the same. Plus they don't sell green goddess in the store, Target does, by Kraft, but it doesn't compare to Saladworks homemade dressing.

Still can't.

I don't see many vouchers like that in the UK. But if I did I would use them. I do get vouchers sent to me by tesco but I guess they're not the same really.

Kanye West (like most rappers) worships Madonna.He loves her.There is nothing insulting about his rap on Beat Goes On.You guys are reading too much into it.

Kanye is a pure selfish douchebag anyway, he really think he's the best thing that ever happened to music. I never took him seriously but it was even worse when he started dating that Kardashian slut. And now they have a baby, what a joke :ugh:

Edited by madonnasuperfan01

She be doing E to F now What's left now? All lines which kinda allude to Madonna having been around for a long time and being well past her peak (she be doing E to F now = she's at the bottom of the barrel).
I always thought the line "doin E to F" meant doing ecstasy to fuck. We should all do some E to F, I think.
She be doin E to F now, what's left now? Translation: "She was high on ecstacy, now she's high from fuckin'...what else can we do?"

Well done, Nightshade! :inlove:

I admit I wondered if the "E to F" lyric was somehow similar to debord's negative interpretation -- however, I always thought it was a compliment -- like, Madonna keeps hitting higher and higher notes as she goes along in her artistry -- and "what's left now?" is a rhetorical question of "how much higher can you go?" or "where else is there to go but continuing upward, as she has?"

I am not as knowledgeable about vocal range as some -- E to F would absurdly high probably, because I have heard of "High C" as the note sopranos aim for as the peak to their range, but ... you know, considering we're talking about Madonna, her scale would be a bit lower anyway, and I don't think it would literally talking about notes, it would be using notes as a metaphor for Madonna's career, her ongoing journey up the scale.

That is, if my interpretation held water. Which it probably doesn't. The ecstasy and sex reading is much more likely. It harmonizes more with the other lyrics in the rap which are heavy on sexual innuendo. And in that case, the "she" is likely NOT Madonna.

OH and PS -- Nicki's contribution to "I Don't Give A" ought to be properly punctuated to be understood properly. I was thinking it was:

"I'm not a businesswoman / I'm a BUSINESS, WOMAN!" Meaning, I'm not just a professional who goes to work and comes home every day, I am a one-woman enterprise who supports a micro-economy, employees hundreds of individuals, manages a vast empire of synergistic commercial ventures, and furthermore endows the art community and nurtures artists with less means than Madonna has at her disposal.

The song is about getting off your ass and owning your skill to become a star.

Kanye is not saying anything negative about Madonna in the rap. I agree with a lot of what nightshade said...

This is the whitest thread on mnation

:lmao:

Oh, i found this mix on the net now! This guy remixed that TBGO demo and it shows how this song had potential even in that "weak" demo that leaked.

Yes! I really wish she put this on the album instead.

NOT! :dead: Mess.

Did Nicki insult Madonna when she said "I'm not a business woman, I'm a businesswoman."

Please advise.

No. It's a complement. You missed the comma. It should be: "I'm not a business woman. I'm a business, woman."

Meaning, Madonna is in charge of her career. No one is in charge of her. She's an empire.

Edited by WeboGirl