2016 Presidential Election Thread

Skin

She is such a dumbass simpleton.

"Its a REAL baby!"

She is so over. I realize the frothing GOP base still loves her, but 70-80% of America (including the Republican establishment) knows she's a political non-entity. What power does she wield other than moronic statements that garner press attention? Courtney Love was the previous master of that domain and look where she is now.

• 1 month later...

Elizabeth Warren Hits The Campaign Trail For Fellow Democrats

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (AP) — Sen. Elizabeth Warren is quickly becoming a top Democratic fundraiser and campaign powerhouse, hitting the road on behalf of candidates in key races the party will need to win to retain control of the U.S. Senate in November.

Since March, the Massachusetts Democrat has stumped for candidates in Ohio, Minnesota, Oregon, Washington and Kentucky and has trips planned this week for West Virginia and Michigan. It's a hefty schedule for a freshman senator who not long ago was teaching law at Harvard.

Along the way, Warren has found her brand of economic populism resonating far from her home in the liberal enclave of Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Part of Warren's economic pitch is legislation she sponsored that would let college graduates refinance their student loans at lower interest rates, an effort blocked by Senate Republicans.

Warren found a receptive crowd during a recent campaign stop at the University of Louisville with Alison Lundergan Grimes, the Kentucky secretary of state hoping to unseat Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell.

Warren said the Kentucky race is "about a man who stood up and filibustered the student loan bill."

"When you've got a choice between billionaires and students, Mitch McConnell says it is more important to protect the billionaires," Warren told the crowd. Senate Republicans blocked Warren's student bill last month on a 56-38 vote that fell short of the 60 needed to advance the proposal to a debate.

McConnell's campaign spokeswoman Allison Moore was quick to highlight Warren's awkward fit in coal country, noting that she supports the federal government's efforts to restrict carbon dioxide emissions, restrictions many in Kentucky oppose.

McConnell had criticized Warren's bill when it came up for a vote, saying it won't make college more affordable or reduce the amount of money students will have to borrow.

"The Senate Democrats' bill isn't really about students at all. It's really all about Senate Democrats," he said. "They want an issue to campaign on to save their own hides this November."

Cast by critics as a typical Northeast liberal, Warren, 65, grew up in Oklahoma in a family which she said lived on "the ragged edge of the middle class" — an experience that she said helped forge a lifelong interest in advocating for working families trying to get a fair deal in an economic and political system that Warren argues is rigged against them.

Warren found herself thrust into the national political spotlight during a grueling 2012 campaign against incumbent Republican Sen. Scott Brown. It was the most expensive campaign in Massachusetts history with both candidates raking in tens of millions in donations.

Warren's profile has made her a go-to campaigner for Democratic Senate candidates, in part because as a newer arrival on the political stage she is free of some of the political albatrosses carried by other top Democrats like President Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton.

In March, Warren attended a fundraising reception and dinner in Cleveland for Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown. Days later she attended a student rally and fundraiser for Minnesota Sen. Al Franken in Minneapolis. Next were fundraisers in May for Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley and Washington Sen. Patty Murray.

Now, Warren is continuing her fundraising efforts, with a planned Monday event with West Virginia Democratic Senate hopeful Natalie Tennant. Tennant, West Virginia's secretary of state, is vying with U.S. Rep. Shelley Moore Capito for the seat held by retiring Democratic Sen. Jay Rockefeller. Capito is favored and holds a hefty cash advantage.

Capito's campaign has also been quick to target Warren, calling her "one of the staunchest opponents of coal and West Virginia's way of life."

Warren has conceded that she and Tennant — who, like Grimes, has criticized Obama's plans to limit carbon emissions from the coal industry — don't agree on everything, but can come together on economic issues facing struggling families.

Later in the week, Warren is scheduled to attend a fundraiser with Michigan Democratic Senate hopeful Gary Peters who is facing off against Republican Terri Lynn Land. Peters and Land are competing to replace Democratic Sen. Carl Levin, who's also retiring.

Warren has also sent out fundraising emails to her supporters on behalf of Democratic Senate candidates in Georgia (Michelle Nunn), South Dakota (Rick Weiland) and Iowa (Bruce Braley).

Warren's rising political star in the Democratic Party has garnered the attention of Hillary Clinton, in part because Warren has been seen by some as a possible alternative candidate for president in two years, even though Clinton has yet to announce and Warren has repeatedly said she's not interested in running in 2016.

Warren has been flexing her fundraising prowess in the party by using her political action committee — the PAC for a Level Playing Field. The leadership PAC has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars which she's used to support Democratic Senate candidates and party committees including the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Julian Zelizer, a political history professor at Princeton University, said Warren is crafting a national political profile while also testing whether a populist economic message can win broad support across the party.

"Part of this is for her to build her stature, but she is also a believer," Zelizer said. "She could stumble but ... she's still new and she doesn't have the baggage of someone like a Hillary Clinton."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/13/elizabeth-warren-democrats_n_5581603.html

There was a story I was reading a few days ago that said Obama is planning on supporting Elizabeth Warren for President if she runs. Have no idea how true it is or not or if Warren even plans on running.

That being said no matter who the Dem nominee is I am voting for them. Hillary or Warren or whatever. Maybe a girl power ticket of Hillary/Warren :laugh: ? :lol: Or Hillary/Booker or Warren/Booker. :laugh:

I do believe Warren is WAY more liberal when it comes to economic issues than Hillary and would be better in many ways because Hillary is known as being hawkish and can veer to the right on things if it seems fit. Warren really does seem like the liberal staple of what we would want in a candidate, but sadly when it comes to elections what also matters is the way you carry yourself, and Warren on a superficial level just doesn't look "Presidential" to me where as Hillary does.

I don't know. Even if by some miracle Warren ran and won, no matter how many wonderful ideas she has, if she doesn't have a huge majority in both the house AND senate it will by and large be for nothing as republicans will say "NO!" to everything she puts forward just like they have been doing to Obama for the last 4 years.

Look how hard it was for Obama to get large pieces of legislation passed even when the dems controlled both the house and senate. It was a nail bitter every time it seemed like because of the handful of more conservative dems.

Push for Warren to Run for President

ASHINGTON -- An enthusiastic band of activists has launched a campaign to slow the momentum of Hillary Clinton and convince Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) that she should run for president in 2016.

"I think there's an opportunity for us to convince her if we're really able to make the case as to why we think she's the right person," said Erica Sagrans, who has signed on as the Ready For Warren campaign manager.

The group already has a Facebook page, Twitter account and a new website with a petition encouraging Warren to run.

Sagrans, who worked on President Barack Obama's re-election campaign, will be joined by political activist Billy Wimsatt, who previously founded the League of Young Voters and is going to be a senior adviser to the new group.

Reached for comment, Lacey Rose, Warren's press secretary, told HuffPost, "No, Senator Warren does not support this effort."

Even so, Ready for Warren will be bringing a van full of supporters to Netroots Nation, the annual gathering of progressive activists that is taking place in Detroit this week.

"We don't want to say too much about our exact plans, but we'll definitely be out in force and supporting Warren when she speaks on Friday," said Sagrans, adding, "We're planning on using Netroots as an opportunity to build on a lot of the momentum she's seen elsewhere and to show not only that she has progressive support -- because I think we know that -- but that there is an organized effort and people who are working on harnessing that support and building it into a real Draft Warren campaign."

The Ready for Warren supporters will have some competition at the conference. Ready for Hillary and its splashy bus will be there, and Vice President Joe Biden will be addressing the gathering for the first time.

Going forward, the campaign will make sure there are Warren supporters to greet her and encourage her to run as she travels around the country stumping for Democratic candidates. Sagrans said the group hasn't yet decided what form it will officially take -- whether it will be a super PAC or a hybrid PAC like Ready for Hillary. But it's going to step up volunteer efforts and fundraising, as well as make sure it's a presence in the early primary states such as Iowa and New Hampshire. An explosive amount of fundraising could be one way to entice Warren into the race.

Ready for Hillary has also been a constant presence alongside its chosen candidate, with supporters following Clinton around as she promoted her new memoir.

Warren has repeatedly said she isn't running for president, but she always couches her answer in the present tense. While she was stumping for Democratic Senate candidate Natalie Tennant in West Virginia Monday, "several attendees" pushed her to run.

Sagrans said she hopes that Democrats who may not be enthusiastic about Clinton but see her as the inevitable candidate will take a second look and consider Warren.

"For people like me, who supported Obama and worked on the Obama campaign, we were in a similar situation before. [Clinton] had the money before, she had the support and inevitability, and it didn't mean she got the nomination," said Sagrans. "I think there's also just value in having a competitive primary and a chance to have a discussion about what you want to see in a nominee and what the Democratic nominee should look like and their values and who they represent."

• 4 weeks later...

I REALLY REALLY want Hillary and Elizabeth Warren to run together. Elizabeth would be great as Hil's VP. That would be the most monumental thing ever if they ran together. However, I do think it could be a risk but in my opinion it's a risk worth taking.

She is such a dumbass simpleton.

"Its a REAL baby!"

Appalling, absolutely appalling. She's worse than Paula Abdul on Idol. Why is she even being interviewed? Can't she go away already? She has no political influence or relevance anymore -- not that she ever did.

• 2 weeks later...

^ I think she will pick Julian Castro. But I would LOVE to have Warren involved in the administration. I actually like Warren more than Hillary, but Hillary is the best bet against the GOP in 2016.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Does the Garbage Old Party even have a viable candidate? Hillary/ Warren would be a great ticket, I agree with that. Hillary should coast against Fat Christie or Bush III (who wants a repeat of that)

I still say Hillary can do it.

The general public DOESNT CARE about Benghazi. It was a story the right wing hammered away at for months and months and it didn't make a single dent.

The GP doesn't care about the Garbage Old Party. All they do is try and hammer against Obama's achievements and make this country worse.

I am voting for a candidate who is not tied to Wall Street -- whether in the general election or during the primary. Elections have become not about the issues but about who can raise the most money. Sad. Nothing is going to change with Citizens United in effect. As for wasting a vote, yes, I suppose that I am. I am annoyed that, in this country, most everyone votes for either democrat or republican without giving a third party a look. If he ultimately runs for president, I will be supporting independent Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders: http://www.sanders.senate.gov/ Realistically, the guy does not really stand a chance in hell in winning because, unlike Hillary or the republican candidate, he will not be tied to the money and the special interests. He would depend on public financing, like all candidates should. The rich should not be able to buy elections. His latest video below (from March 27, 2014) is one reason why I support him over Hillary.

I love Bernie Sanders, but I don't know if he would have enough of a chance against Hillary Clinton.

My Preferred Vote:

1. Bernie

2. Elizabeth Warren

3. Hillary Clinton

Best Bet:

1 Hillary Clinton

2. Elizabeth Warren

Hope Hilary wins next election, but it won't be difficult with how out of touch the hardcore right wing is on certain issues. Unlike many people, the centrist republicans don't bother me as much the fascist leaning religious conservatives who have dominated American politics for decades.

Even though I was very young at the time, don't want to live through another reagan and two p**sy bushes again. :no:

A new Public Policy Polling national poll finds Hillary Clinton leading all of her potential Republican candidates by between 7 and 10 points.

“What’s really striking about Clinton’s numbers against the Republicans is how steady they are no matter who she’s pitted against. Clinton is between 47-50% against all 9 of the GOP hopefuls, and each of the GOP hopefuls is polling at either 40 or 41%.”

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/02/clinton-leads-general-primary.html

PPP's newest national poll finds Hillary Clinton leading all of her potential Republican candidates by between 7 and 10 points. She has 7 point advantages over Rand Paul (47/40), and Rick Perry and Marco Rubio (48/41). She has 8 point advantages over Ben Carson, Chris Christie, and Scott Walker all at 48/40. Her advantage over Mike Huckabee is 9 points at 50/41, and she's up 10 points each over Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz at 50/40.

What's really striking about Clinton's numbers against the Republicans is how steady they are no matter who she's pitted against. Clinton is between 47-50% against all 9 of the GOP hopefuls, and each of the GOP hopefuls is polling at either 40 or 41%. This is quite different from 2012 when Mitt Romney tended to be a good deal stronger against Barack Obama than all of the other GOP contenders.

There is a pretty big electability difference on the Democratic side though. In the off chance that Clinton were not to run for President, both Joe Biden (45/39) and Elizabeth Warren (43/41) would trail Jeb Bush in hypothetical contests. We've pretty consistently found Clinton running about 10 points better against the Republican field than potential Democratic alternatives.

Hopefully there is going to be something Hillary related in Rebel Heart tour! There is always something related to an upcoming election or the president!

Sorry but this whole e-mail thing is def NOT helping Hilary. Even if she is willing..actually very willing to hand over the e-mails WHY didn't she just use the government e-mail :?? It's such a minor thing yet what people (even the far left) are pissed off about is HOW didn't she know this would come back and feed the Republicunt leeches who are gonna OCD on this like Benghazi. Just raises red flags w/ her judgement, beingout of touch w/ the 'rules' and makes her look secretive (even if there isn't a single damaging e-mail). Really dunno if she's 'that' unbeatable anymore..sorry. A LOT of people didn't like her before and this just feeds their venom and the ones on the fence (independents etc..) will not view this favorably. I was def. gonna vote for her and may still regardless but this def. put a bad taste in my mouth for now. *Thank GOD she didn't announce she's running yet. Would love more than ever for someone to run against her. She just lacks the fire and charisma that Warren and others have.

There's still *18 months until the election! lol. If Bridgegate (which was way,way worse) is already fading from most people and the medias mind, this like everything else will blow over. Krispy Kremes biggest issue is how much damage he's done to Jersey economically mixed in w/ even his biggest supporters finding his bully shtick repulsive (all more than Bridgegate).

Honestly, I think the email story is mostly hype at this point. I know it looks bad and sounds deceptive, but she turned over the emails in October for review. Even the NYT reported that nothing truly damning has been found yet:

While the State Department has said there does not appear to be any classified material in Mrs. Clinton’s emails, officials said on Thursday that they needed to go through the trove again to determine whether it contained any “sensitive” information.

If they do find any "sensitive" stuff, she will have to answer for it. She probably will be in trouble for using personal email to conduct government business as well, but I am not sure if it would be enough to derail her campaign. Remember, voters may not like this type of stuff, but when it comes to voting on dismantling social security or gutting the health care law, they will turn out for whoever is advocating for them.

Remember, this woman has been investigated during the Whitewater scandal, the Benghazi events, and countless other Republican scams to discredit her and she's still here. I wouldn't count her out until the story has played out in the press. The Republicans are just making a good show of it (just like they did with the Benghazi hearings which linked her to NO wrong doing).

Hopefully there is going to be something Hillary related in Rebel Heart tour! There is always something related to an upcoming election or the president!

lol but I dont think M likes Hillary! Very recently during an interview as I'm sure most here remember, they played a 'game' where they showed her pictures of various people and she had to give a one word response. When they showed Hillary, she immediately said 'angry' lmao. It reeked from shade and her not being a fan. Way back in the day M was super supportive of Bill and was buds briefly with Chelsea (around 2000-02ish). They showed up at various high end fashion shows together. Have a feeling she didnt click w/ Hillary and either saw/heard something or simply didn't care for her aura and persona...just something.

Maybe Madonna said "angry" in that Buzzfeed interview because Hillary was pissed at M about something...not the other way around.

^ Hmmm coulda been because she and the Clintons were friendly and maybe she was very vocal about supporting Obama in 2008?

Scandals blow over so fast now a days and politicians have kind of learnt to stick it out because the public has such a short memory and are bombarded with new and large pieces of information daily. And most voters aren't tuned into political news and its only around election time do they really start paying attention and even then it won't be emails that will be the big topics of debate.

I mean, Clinton won in 1992 with sex scandals hanging over him.