Do You Consider "I'm Breathless" An Album?

Guest Lum

I'm Breathless  

106 members have voted

1. 1. An Album?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you like I'm Breathless?

• Yes
    • No

The main reason I don't see this as just being a soundtrack is because only a few of the songs were used in the movie. Also comparisons to Who's that girl and the Bodyguard are sort of mute because on both of those, many different artists sang different songs. Madonna is featured on every single track. They were also called soundtrack albums while I'm breathless was described as being music from and inspired from Dick Tracy.

Madonna did say that this was her favourite album. She loved this kind of music and also knows an enormous amount of old Hollywood film musicals. I have read where she was working with theatre composers and they were amazed at how many old film and theatre songs she knew word from word.

It's an easy answer. According to ASCAP, in order to register an album as a soundtrack, it has to say "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" on it. It does not say that on I'm Breathless. So, technically it's a studio album. Just like Madonna and Like A Virgin and True Blue and Like A Prayer and Erotica and Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light and Music and American Life and Confessions on a Dance Floor and Hard Candy and MDNA. ...and breathe.

Guest SecretGarden

Of course it is, she went into the studio, recorded the songs, and they're all original compositions.

Saying I'm Breathless isn't a studio album is like saying Prince's Purple Rain album isn't.

Saying I'm Breathless isn't a studio album is like saying Prince's Purple Rain album isn't.

Yes, perfect example. Also, Pink Floyd 'The Wall' and The Who 'Tommy'.

Edited by WeboGirl

Guest bluejean
Of course it is, she went into the studio, recorded the songs, and they're all original compositions. Saying I'm Breathless isn't a studio album is like saying Prince's Purple Rain album isn't.

Yes. Good example.

The thread title actually should say "studio album"- because, like, obviously, it's an album.

So if this album wasn't done in a studio where did she record it?

It's not a soundtrack so of course it's a real studio album. As has been mentioned, it's basically a concept album. The title says it all...."I'm Breathless"....she's in character the whole album. I think it's not considered a "real" Madonna album because it's not a pop album but she put her heart and soul into this music just like any of her studio albums. Madonna probably wanted to do something like this anyways and having the movie to tie it into was the perfect excuse to do so.

To me it's more than an album, it's a concept album which is even better. And it's one of the best she's ever done, in my opinion. Because the feeling is real. The only "bad" thing about the album is that there's only live instruments in those 3 songs for Dick Tracy, the rest are synths, which is a pity. I wish it had been an orchestral album with a live band.

I agree that it was not a "proper" release but it is as much an album as The Bodyguard Soundtrack is considered a Whitney Houston album.

WHich always amazes me as she did, what, six tracks on it? But I get what you're saying.

Yes, I do think of it as a proper album. For me, the only thing that really lets it down is Now I'm Following You pt 2. It's just cheap remix and completely unnecessary. Perhaps she thought that Vogue would make more sense if it came after a more contemporary track but it just sounds like pointless filler to me.

I like Vogue on I'm Breathless. Vogue talks about dancing and letting go and being yourself but it also talks about the past and the glamour of the past so I like it amongst the other songs that sound like they were released in a time gone by. I like that it brings everything you heard before it to the present with it's more modern sound and celebrates the glamour of the past. It's a nice contrast while bringing the past to the present.

....or Vogue was a hit so they had to put it somewhere? Lol

It's an easy answer. According to ASCAP, in order to register an album as a soundtrack, it has to say "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" on it. It does not say that on I'm Breathless. So, technically it's a studio album. Just like Madonna and Like A Virgin and True Blue and Like A Prayer and Erotica and Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light and Music and American Life and Confessions on a Dance Floor and Hard Candy and MDNA. ...and breathe.

THANK YOU!

I do like this record, but I wonder what would've happened if Madonna had held on to "Vogue" until the Erotica album. The album would've sold much better, she would've started her campaign with a huge #1 hit, and maybe the whole Sex backlash wouldn't have happened or at least been much milder.

Edited by tek75