MadonnaNation.com Forums
Crux

Grace Jones thread

He's openly gay.

Was. He inned himself.

That pic of Miss Grace and Empress Chaka is just too fabulous. :dramatic:

Apparently she talks about Madonna in her memoir, she said "We were not friends and she did something, she knows what it is and i'm talking about it in my book".

Ohhhhh dish! I love when a has-been creates or digs up irrelevant/exaggerated situations with Madonna to sell a few more copies of a pointless book.

Ohhhhh dish! I love when a has-been creates or digs up irrelevant/exaggerated situations with Madonna to sell a few more copies of a pointless book.

Grace has never been commercial. Therefore she doesn't qualify as a has been.

She's not a has been, she's always been a cult figure. And that is an old quote where she said she respects Madonna, but that she did

something back the in the day that she might discuss in her biography if she ever was gonna do one.

Exactly, Grace is in a league of her own and still gets headlines unlike so many of those dreary pop princesses

I wonder if M came on to one of Grace's boyfriends? I can't imagine much else as musically they've never really overlapped.

Exactly, Grace is in a league of her own and still gets headlines unlike so many of those dreary pop princesses

I wonder if M came on to one of Grace's boyfriends? I can't imagine much else as musically they've never really overlapped.

My guess it would b something from the early days, I'm thinking Keith Haring or some idea fashion-wise/creative.

My guess it would b something from the early days, I'm thinking Keith Haring or some idea fashion-wise/creative.

Ah yes, that could also be it. Speaking of Haring, the I'm Not Perfect video is just amazing but gets forgotten when it's 80stastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZpPDc-k-M

WOW.

I've dabbled in Grace Jones's work on & off, but last night, I really got into her. That One Man Show was EVERYTHING (watched the whole thing on Youtube). Her face, her bone structure, the lighting, staging, outfits; such a striking visual, even by 2014 standards. AND THE MUSIC: Feel Up & Private Life are easily my new favs; "I'm very superficial... I hate everything official..." -UGH SHES GREAT :wow:

I'm also loving this mini docu about her but I'm really LOVING her sassy former producer @ 3:41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEQzu1TDB_A

"She couldn't sing. She sounded like Bela Lugosi." :rotfl:

Ah yes, that could also be it. Speaking of Haring, the I'm Not Perfect video is just amazing but gets forgotten when it's 80stastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqZpPDc-k-M

I've always loved the song but I don't remember seeing that video before. :inlove:

WOW.

I've dabbled in Grace Jones's work on & off, but last night, I really got into her. That One Man Show was EVERYTHING (watched the whole thing on Youtube). Her face, her bone structure, the lighting, staging, outfits; such a striking visual, even by 2014 standards. AND THE MUSIC: Feel Up & Private Life are easily my new favs; "I'm very superficial... I hate everything official..." -UGH SHES GREAT :wow:

I'm also loving this mini docu about her but I'm really LOVING her sassy former producer @ 3:41

Her Island records albums Warm leatherette, Nightclubbing & Living my life are timeless masterpieces but let's face it prior to them her disco albums have beautiful covers but are really really shitty (at the exceptions of La vie en rose or something like Sorry) and it's obvious she can't sing on them, even their producer Tom Moulton (seen on the video) says so. Thank god she went back to her jamaican roots.

On Your Knees is the best of the worst though.

I love on your knees. I'm finally getting into the disco stuff although some is quite ropey. That's the trouble is also fun.

Tom Moulton is the king of disco production though. An absolute legend who worked with everyone. It's hilarious what he said about grace!

I hope we get a great dance tune from her at some point

WOW.

Well, welcome to the legendary Grace club. She's so underrated. She is EPIC. A true innovative artist with a unique voice and a commanding presence. She covers songs and makes them her own. I stumbled upon NightClubbing one day and spun it and I never looked back.the album is pure perfection from beginning to end. I'm slowly buying all her records but I doubt I'll find any of the magic off of NightClubbing, Warm Leatherette and Living My Life. Hurricane is amazing too. Visually, she is a powerhouse of wonder.

I just got the reissue of NightClubbing and it's everything.all the songs sound brand new and clear and the "long versions" are awesome.

WOW.

My son :inlove:

U should c her live now, she's still every bit as vibrant, there's still something very 'now' about her, she has maintained that urgency of an up and coming breakthrough act, and she always performs in wonderful relatively small clubs...

'I don't want to be an icon, I don't want to reinvent myself, I want to look like me.' :inlove:

A classic Roseland performance. They should have used Grace instead of that talentless wannabe who closed the place down and still couldn't sell out the venue.

I really hope we get something as good as Hurriance. Corporate Cannibal is still such an awesome tune. I can't believe she pulled that song out of the bag and then properly slayed with the video!

I don't usually like memoirs as there usually vanity projects but in this case I think it could be a fascinating read. I imagine Grace will tell it as it was, warts and all.

Can't wait to read her book!

Latest news on the new album, release month?

I follow her on Twitter. She's said nothing new on the progress of the album. The book is this year. And the album is possibly next?

Ivor Guest was posting on her facebook about the recording sessions but that stopped a few months ago. She's probably bored and not turned up to the recording sessions!

is her single out yet? I was in old navy today and a song was playing that was fresh and new that sounded a lot like GJ.

BoBOOIPCIAQdxXs.png

i miss Donna :(

is her single out yet? I was in old navy today and a song was playing that was fresh and new that sounded a lot like GJ.

No single that I'm aware of and can't see anything on the web about it but fingers crossed!

A new grace jones single playing in old navy...there's always a first time!