New York Times on Harperley Hall sale

XXL

Nice profile from yesterday's NYT tracing back Madonna's purchase during her marriage with Sean Penn. They say she still owns a $8m unit within the building despite having already sold the $16m main apartment complex

16TICKET-blog480-v2.jpg

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/14/big-ticket-madonnas-apartment-for-16-million/

The Harperley Hall duplex created by Madonna Ciccone way back in a former century, when she and Sean Penn were a hot item and she was very much a Material Girl on the rise in the matter of shrewd real estate acquisitions, sold for $16 million in the most expensive sale of the week, according to city records.

The 6,000-square-foot combined space, No. 5/6A, at 41 Central Park West and 1 West 64th Street — the side entrance has the special Madonna-approved guardhouse — was first listed for $23.5 million. But it did not attract a cash-flush suitor until a recent reduction to $19.95 million. Monthly maintenance is $11,774. Back when it was first listed, Madonna and her current entourage were already comfortably ensconced in an enormous (12,000 square feet) Upper East Side town house — with a Garbo-esque private garage, as opposed to Harperley Hall’s semiprivate one — for which she paid $32.5 million in 2009.

Harperley Hall, an Arts and Crafts-style building on the northwest corner of 64th Street and Central Park West, was designed by Henry W. Wilkinson and completed in 1911; Juliet balconies festoon its windows, and French doors are among its many decorative quirks. The Madonna duplex, which was created after a skirmish with the co-op board, has 10-foot ceilings and 110 feet of park frontage, along with six bedrooms in four bedroom wings, eight bathrooms and five wood-burning fireplaces. The eat-in kitchen has marble slab counters, and the master bathroom, where the mode is vintage, has twin pedestal sinks, a claw-foot soaking tub and a marble shower.

After the combination of the fifth- and sixth-floor units was approved (a lawsuit figured into the negotiation), Madonna commissioned her younger brother, Christopher G. Ciccone, to impart a peaceful but elegant karma to the décor before the apartment was featured in Architectural Digest. But the duplex was apparently not peaceful enough for some of the neighbors, who complained about overly loud parties with music and dancing, not to mention the paparazzi perpetually attached to the Madonna bandwagon.

The new owners of the duplex, the hedge fund wizard Deepak Narula and his wife, Anju Murari-Narula, are guaranteed to be less obstreperous. Mr. Narula, the founder of the $1.4 billion Metacapital Management fund, was anointed a “Hedge Fund God” last fall in a Business Insider posting after Bloomberg News reported that his market machinations had yielded the company a 34 percent increase in assets; he is doubtless too busy making money to make waves on the home front.

But Harperley Hall shareholders should be aware that Madonna still has a toehold in the building: the separate seventh-floor unit she snapped up in 2008 for $7.35 million was not included in this transaction. Adam Modlin of the Modlin Group and Arabella Greene Buckworth of Brown Harris Stevens shared the exclusive listing and also represented the buyer.

This is what her Harperley Hall compound interiors looked like in 1991 when they were featured on AD

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/decor/2007-05/madonna_article_052007

“Subdued elegance” is how Christopher G. Ciccone describes the Art Déco setting he created for Madonna’s apartment. The designer, who is Madonna’s brother, by Tamara de Lempicka’s Nue á la Colombe, 1930.

item0.rendition.slideshowHorizontal.madonna-new-york-apartment-02.jpg

item1.rendition.slideshowVertical.madonna-new-york-apartment-01.jpg

item2.rendition.slideshowVertical.madonna-new-york-apartment-03.jpg

item3.rendition.slideshowHorizontal.madonna-new-york-apartment-04.jpg

item4.rendition.slideshowVertical.madonna-new-york-apartment-05.jpg

item5.rendition.slideshowHorizontal.madonna-new-york-apartment-06.jpg

I do like how there is a painting in every room.

Me too :inlove:

She's sold a house for $16m but for years there's probably been ad additional $15m piece in every single room hung on the walls. By the way this is just how it looked in 1991 after life-with-my-sister-madonna Christopher put his subdued, as he says, touch on it. There's a video around late 2008 where you can see her living room and although you can't make out much, it kind of feels like a different environment, more luminous

Oh and you can also see a glimpse of the Harperley apartment in her 2005 ABC Interview with Cynthia McFadden

1:30

Just look at those paintings. Envy much. Just the idea, oh I have a Picasso hanging over my desk and a Dali in my living room. :laugh:

God, even the furniture cost a fortune.

Anyway, since Harperly Hall is history now I so wanna see pictures of her new house on the UES after renovation. Of course we never will. We never saw pictures of the inside of her Beverly Hills home and London home either.

I think it's very classy & stylish, not entirely my taste but quite the opposite of all the 'new money' & beige &

golden interiors u c on MTV Cribs.

I think it's very classy & stylish, not entirely my taste but quite the opposite of all the 'new money' & beige &

MTV Cribs. Is this sh*t still on? I will never forget all those rappers (who are most likely broke now or questioned by the IRS) bragging about their McMansion. All these faux Meds and faux Tuscan houses. Those were so ugly. But that was not the point anyway. It was a showcase for their wealth and therefore it was Bling Bling all over the place because it was their definition of how rich people live like. Ultimately it just showed that money can't buy you a sense of style or class. And sorry, the same goes for Mariahs apartment which looked like a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. And wasn't there a Hello Kitty Room?

:chuckle:

christina-aguilera_50888451.jpg

christina_aguilera_shoe_collection-e1329780141912.jpg

793771-christina-aguilera-house.jpg

glamorous-red-bedroom.jpg

Christina-Aguileras-house-mba.jpg

IS1xgcylf9wtehv_gallery_main.jpg

product1_25143_600x600.jpg?file=Barbie+3+Storey+Doll+Dream+house

Just look at those paintings. Envy much. Just the idea, oh I have a Picasso hanging over my desk and a Dali in my living room. :laugh:

God, even the furniture cost a fortune.

Anyway, since Harperly Hall is history now I so wanna see pictures of her new house on the UES after renovation. Of course we never will. We never saw pictures of the inside of her Beverly Hills home and London home either.

One of her Beverly Hills properties, she's gone through at least 3 or 4 over the years was indeed featured in one of those Condè Nast mags, can't remember which one, possibly the one she bought in 2003 after she sold to Jenna Elfman (Dharma) the Loz Feliz villa she purchased from Diane Keaton in tha late 90s

One of her Beverly Hills properties, she's gone through at least 3 or 4 over the years was indeed featured in one of those Condè Nast mags, can't remember which one, possibly the one she bought in 2003 after she sold to Jenna Elfman (Dharma) the Loz Feliz villa she purchased from Diane Keaton in tha late 90s

Yes, the Wallace Neff house on North Roxbury Drive. What a gorgeous place. But allegedly it was a security nightmare with fans climbing over the fences. I think this was the reason she bought the French style house just off Sunset Boulevard from Sela Ward. That is completely private surrounded by other mansions. And from this house only the air shots exist.

Guest Rachelle of London

I loved the Ashcombe House property in Wiltshire...the surroundings are beautiful it truly is an amazing place, so serene and romantic

Yes, the Wallace Neff house on North Roxbury Drive. What a gorgeous place. But allegedly it was a security nightmare with fans climbing over the fences. I think this was the reason she bought the French style house just off Sunset Boulevard from Sela Ward. That is completely private surrounded by other mansions. And from this house only the air shots exist.

:thumbsup:

Beautiful place

It was featured on some mag in 2003, can't find the pics anymore