Why is every track on American Life cut off at the start?!

Guest Lum

Bizzarely on my dad's funky old Sony stereo DAD is played in it's entirety. The beginning isn't clipped off when I play the album. Yet it is always clipped on my stereos.

:shrug:

Have you guys got the "special edition" a fan created on the Internet? I have that. It omits DAD. The tracklisting order is different. And same tracks have been lengthened or shortened.

Have you guys got the "special edition" a fan created on the Internet? I have that. It omits DAD. The tracklisting order is different. And same tracks have been lengthened or shortened.

WTF?

:lol:

I would be scared to put AL on shuffle in case Intervention or Xstatic Process came on.

Doesn't Celebration's version of Hollywood have the same problem ? :huh:

Yes but that's not the main issue we're discussing here. "Hollywood" has the outro of "American Life" intentionally mixed into it as a fade-out on the LP version but the rest of the songs actually are mastered poorly in the sense that you have an unintentional bit of one song still present in the preceding song. It's really bad. The "Nothing Fails" / "Intervention" segue is the most noticeable for me.

You know I'm listening to it right now on shuffle (for the first time ever!) and it's not as bad as I remember!

The shuffle feature is a revelation! The album works much better mixed up like this.

I have noticed a bit of clipping at the start of tracks but it's very slight and not annoying (yet!).

But I have already had to hear X-Static Process. :vomit:

Which means... that Intervention and AL are on the cards. :nervous:

American Life Roulette. :scared:

Because they're so perfect it's scary? I agree then.

:lol: I think they are probably her two worst songs.

You know I'm listening to it right now on shuffle (for the first time ever!) and it's not as bad as I remember!

The shuffle feature is a revelation! The album works much better mixed up like this.

I have noticed a bit of clipping at the start of tracks but it's very slight and not annoying (yet!).

But I have already had to hear X-Static Process. :vomit:

Which means... that Intervention and AL are on the cards. :nervous:

American Life Roulette. :scared:

Those three are awesome!! :tongue:

Guest Not4Pussies

I purchased the itunes version because I tend to make playlists and I didn't like having intervention start of with NF ending as well as the other songs. Itunes version works for me

Just listen to the album again.

Format: CD

Catalog number: WPCR-22008

Tracklisting:

1. American Life (4.57) - OK

2. Hollywood (4.24) - Yes, AL fades into Hollywood

3. I'm So Stupid (4.08) - OK

4. Love Profusion (3.38) - OK

5. Nobody Knows Me (4.40) - OK

6. Nothing Fails (4.48) - OK

7. Intervention (4.54) - OK

8. X-Static Process (3.49) - OK

9. Father And Mother (4.33) - OK

10. Die Another Day (4.38) - OK

11. Easy Ride (5.06) - OK

I guess it's a version problem? Please note this Japanese version was not the 1st issue, therefore I suspect WBJ corrected those problems.

Lum darling, what's your AL version?

I never even noticed any of this.

Neither did I.

I specifically listened to it on my headphones this afternoon and I still couldn't spot any of the errors...Oh well.

I hadn't noticed it before, but it's true. If you play the last second of the last five tracks (excluding Easy Ride) out of order you will hear a tiny bit of the next song on it. It's not that hard to find, and it's definitely not intentional like AL to Hollywood. There is an error, but it's not that big of a deal.

^ Yeah I think these people who aren't hearing it are listening to the album straight through. If you play the CD on shuffle (or on your iPod), you'll definitely hear a split second of the next track at the end of each song, and a split second of the first note is cut off at the beginning of each track. I think it's most noticeable at the beginning of "Intervention." The first guitar note starts "soft" because it's cut off.

it's on every CD versions. the first second of several songs is at the end of the previous track. some supposed at the time it was a trick to avoid piracy, after the "what the fuck do you think you're doing?" episode... but it's most likely just a mastering mistake, ahead of the Celebration debacle...

Yeah it's definitely a mastering error. If you listen to "American Life" the song, you'll hear that there's a second of nothing before her vocals start. Clearly the whole album was started a second late and the breaks were therefore fucked up. So technically they're in the right spots, but the music is actually what's "late."

I would be scared to put AL on shuffle in case Intervention or Xstatic Process came on.

hahaha. OMG! the two best songs on the album!

Guest bluejean

Yes this used to annoy the hell out of me. Back in the day I fixed them all in an audio editing program :lol:

Leave it to Madonna to force us to listen to her album straight through, lest we get annoyed! Lol! The continuous mix of Confessions on a Dance Floor was a natural progression then? ;-)

Actually, I remember when the album was released someone, on some forum, said it was intentional to mess up

Internet piracy. Remember the whole "what the fuck do you think your doing??" Mp3 downloads?

I downloaded the iTunes version years ago and it was the same, so I gave up.

The AL-Hollywood transition was intentional, but from the end of Nothing Fails to the beginning of Die Another Day, every track ends w/ the beginning of the next song.