top40.png

Okay, so we are at that period where no new projects are coming out anytime soon (except the MDNA DVD). There's no new album in works at the moment, and if there were one, we wouldn't be getting it for like another year. So since there isn't much to do around here except argue about how good Hard Candy is today, let's create a MadonnaNation top 40 list of Madonna's best songs! Once the votes are counted, the results will be posted along with members written entries for each songs. We did it once before like 4/5 years ago and it was a lot of fun to read the results, and we've had a slew of songs come our way since, so it's def the best time to do it now.

top4003.png

This is how we'll do it:

Firstly, come up with a list of your 40 favorite Madonna songs. Singles, albums tracks, b-sides, soundtrack songs, benefit songs, bonus songs, I'll even allow unreleased songs. But no remixes (sorry GHv2 megamix), and no alternate versions/multiple demos. Do not list History early demo or Erotica rough cut demo, or demo #4 of It's So Cool, just list the plan song titles (example: History, Erotica, It's So Cool), okay?

Most of all: You must list 40 songs! Madonna has a lot of tracks, If you've reached a dead end where you can't add any more songs to reach 40, just add what ever you can fucking think of. It just makes it easier on me if there is 40 from each member.

Once you have your list of all 40 songs, send it to me via PM.

After I get everyone's list, I'll add up the votes to see what tracks will make the final top 40 list, then i'll post the results in a new thread periodically (probably 10 songs once a day). Each songs listed will be accompanied by a short paragraph written by YOU! :)/> This is where your help comes in. Along with your top 40 list, it would be a nice if you guys could send me a story/summary/ some kind of description for at least one song or two, or more! Make it personal, from the heart, from your past, when you first discovered it, etc...., whatever! :p/> It'll be added to the official thread and it'll make a nice addition to the list. Again, I am NOT asking you to write for all 40 songs!!! Just one song, that's it! The only requirement is to send in your list, the write ups are NOT a requirement, only if you want to! :)/>

PLEASE don't send a single sentence, add a few more sentences and make it a paragraph!!!

Anyways, my PM box is practically empty, start sending me your list (doesn't have to be in any particular order). I'll stop taking entries during the first week of July.

Have fun! :p/>

top402.png

I just finished making my list.

I completed one list that featured 40 songs that I like from the top of my head.

Then I made another list based on the 40 most played Madonna songs in my itunes library.

Then I took the 2 lists, whatever songs were featured on both lists, I added into a new list. With this new list I had 14 songs, so I went back to the remaining tracks left from the previous two lists and added in what felt right to me, leaving me with a satisfied top 40 list :)

I took an approach similar to whoopie's, except that there was an overlap of 29 songs between my 40 top-of-mind songs and my 40 most played songs.

Changed the ranking a bit compared to my play counts, which I accidentally reset 3 years ago. :)

you guys ar so organized that it's almost scarying... ^_^

i'll do my homeworks trying to be wise, honest, efficient... oh no!!!! it's so difficult... i can't, i can't!!!!

Guest bluejean

So all the early demos like Get Up are eligible?

And what about an alternate version that's vastly different from the original? Examples Erotic, The Beast Within, Goodbye To Innocence Demo (which is basically a different song.)

Guest bluejean

Btw it's REALLY hard to narrow it down to 40. I'm down to like 53 and I've already cut some incredible songs out

And what about an alternate version that's vastly different from the original? Examples Erotic, The Beast Within.

Those have a legacy of their own, so they are def considered separate tracks, and have their own unique titles. They're eligible to be listed.

As for GTI, just label it as "Goodbye to Innocence"

So you will rank them or its not gonna be a ranking?

It's a vote thing. He'll just see what songs get the most votes! I assume a poll of all Madonna's track would be too long to compile!

It's a vote thing. He'll just see what songs get the most votes! I assume a poll of all Madonna's track would be too long to compile!

I know that, but I thought the songs on the final list would be ranked according to how many times the song appeared in everyone's lists.

Each song gets a point when it's on someones list.. What ever song has the post points, will get the #1 spot.

Each song gets a point when it's on someones list.. What ever song has the post points, will get the #1 spot.

Oh thanks! Thats what I thought!

I thought this was interesting! Haha. Of the albums of hers, the songs that were in my top 40 were mainly from LAP, Erotica, and ROL.

The full list:

Madonna - 2

Like A Virgin - 3

True Blue - 3

Like A Prayer - 8

I'm Breathless - 2

Erotica - 7

Bedtime Stories - 2

Ray of Light - 6

Music - 1

American Life - 1

Confessions - 1