Will Madonna write a musical again?

jonski43

I saw that "Kinky Boots' has just won at the Tony's with Cyndi Lauper winning for her score. With Mamma Mia and Matilda also being huge too, I think this would be a good fit for her directorial and musical ambitions especially as a hit can rake in millions. And we know she's a material girl at heart!

She tried with Hello Suckers! but that fizzled but perhaps that this is a potential direction in the future?

Guest bluejean

I would love to see her write and direct a musical.

However of course is prefer she was in it or id want to hear her singing the songs. But that probably wouldn't happen, I doubt she'd want to direct a musical and perform in it.

I can totally see her doing it in the future. And maybe Broadway will be more embracing her efforts than Hollywood. I mean it's actually very much her field. She can write a memorable tune, knows a thing or two about how to put a good looking show together. So she would be perfect to do the lyrics and music (well, co-write) and to produce. She could even finance it on her own if she wanted to. Now all it needs is an interesting subject, a story and a director. Not so sure if she should direct a musical on her own considering she has no experience in it except for being part in Up for grabs and Speed the plow.

I can totally see her doing it in the future. And maybe Broadway will be more embracing her efforts than Hollywood. I mean it's actually very much her field. She can write a memorable tune, knows a thing or two about how to put a good looking show together. So she would be perfect to do the lyrics and music (well, co-write) and to produce. She could even finance it on her own if she wanted to. Now all it needs is an interesting subject, a story and a director. Not so sure if she should direct a musical on her own considering she has no experience in it except for being part in Up for grabs and Speed the plow.

if she self financed it would probably be written off as a vanity project.

someone can remember why the Hello Sucker project vanished?

M "decided not to do it" - but she also said that she had done the entire soundtrack by the time she abandoned the project.

M is a global super star and Broadway may be big and influential but it still is just one city. For her fans outside New York it would be almost like a Las Vegas residency. I mean if she starred in it but even if she directed many longtime fans would miss on it if it doesn't tour worldwide.

But she could do the music and story! U2 did Batman, Cyndi Lauper's done Kinky Boots, Abba obviously did Mamma Mia, Tim Minchin has done Matilda. It seems like a potential money spinner and a natural fit.

It could be the next 'Viva Forever'!

Oh.

I think it would be a great idea. But I think she should just write the music and maybe come up with the story, but not try to act or direct in it. Cyndi Lauper was very smart to just write the songs, but not be in the musical. If you try to do too much it comes across as a vanity project. Other artists who have tried to write the musical and also act in it have not fared as well as Cyndi.

I think she should do something for the stage like Broadway rather than for film. Her concerts are like Broadway shows anyway. For some reason, I don't think like musicals as movies, but they like them live on stage.

She should do songs in the pop/dance or pop/rock genre like Cyndi. I really don't care for traditional musicals of show tunes. That bores me to death.

... U2 did Batman ...

It could be the next 'Viva Forever'!

Oh.

U2 actually did Spiderman. A production that became more famous for having enormous budget overruns and a number of accidents. But in the end it turned into a hit, I think.

I doubt it could turn out to be "Viva Forever". First that's based on a very thin story. Founding a girl group blah, blah. And obviously their songs are not that iconic or known that made people buy tickets. "Their songs" is a strech anyway. Did the Spice Girls wrote any of "their" songs?

Anyway, if she decides to do it, she should write original material just like U2, Cindy Lauper and yes, Elton John did. At no point this should be based on her biopraphy using her music. And how could this be possible in a 2 to 2 and a half hour show. If there is intention to use her music have a story that comes from a different angle. You know, the way they did it with Queen or Green Day.

Guest bluejean

I would hate for Madonna to do a musical using her hits. That would be so tacky and disgusting. I really doubt she'd be into that idea.

I suppose it works with Queen or Abba because those acts aren't current anymore. I haven't seen those shows but I imagine them being quite tacky as well.

You have not seen Mamma Mia? Not even the movie with Queen Meryl Streep? How is that possible? Anyway, you are totally right. It's tacky as hell. Especially the story is so thin, it's unbelievable. But it's innocent fun and therefore it does its purpose. It's very much in line with Saturday Night Fever, which I hate hate hate as a movie (well, maybe because I can't stand John Travolta) but I went to see the musical in London years ago and I had a blast. All the musical numbers, mainly the Bee Gees stuff with less disco and more musical totally worked.

U2 actually did Spiderman. A production that became more famous for having enormous budget overruns and a number of accidents. But in the end it turned into a hit, I think.

I doubt it could turn out to be "Viva Forever". First that's based on a very thin story. Founding a girl group blah, blah. And obviously their songs are not that iconic or known that made people buy tickets. "Their songs" is a strech anyway. Did the Spice Girls wrote any of "their" songs?

Anyway, if she decides to do it, she should write original material just like U2, Cindy Lauper and yes, Elton John did. At no point this should be based on her biopraphy using her music. And how could this be possible in a 2 to 2 and a half hour show. If there is intention to use her music have a story that comes from a different angle. You know, the way they did it with Queen or Green Day.

Ooops was thinking Spidey and wrote Batman!

I wouldn't want her to use her hits like Mamma Mia. I mean new stuff.

Mamma Mia is tacky and as an Abba fan, I can't stand it although the film was in a bad way. Pierce Brosnan! Queen's We Will Rock You is the worst - the government has banned rock music and buried all the guitars so some young buck has to go and find them. Awful!

I'd want new songs. I was surprised about Kinky Boots though. It was a fun enough little English film that was nothing special and it's turned into this massive hit.

As for Viva forever, they said it had no hits until over half an hour into the play, there was a random Spanish scene and just generally the Spice Girls don't have a back catalogue strong enough to support two hours of musical. Even Abba's album tracks were great.

If Madonna does a musical, she should write new songs just for the musical. I would not want a Mama Mia or Viva Forever like thing where you use old songs or hits. It's hard to get the old songs to tell a new story. The problem with Viva Forever is the story wasn't about the Spice Girls themselves. I like some of their songs but their songs are so associated with them as people. It might have been successful if they had used the songs to tell their own story with actresses playing them instead of some fictional story.

But if Madonna did a musical, I would want new songs and I would not want the storyline to be her autobiography.

I do not think she has been into songwriting for quite some time, so I will say she would not produce a new musical, at least not using new songs - she could go the Spice Girls route but as someone said she wouldn't do that until she felt behind the times. which will be never.