Was Hard Candy ahead of its time?

johnnox

American Life has the distinction of being unique but that's about it.

Jesus Christ she'll never be able to take a musical risk again with that dismissive attitude.

Jesus Christ she'll never be able to take a musical risk again with that dismissive attitude.

She took risks before that were brilliant. Erotica. Ray Of Light was a pretty sharp and risky change of sound, I think people forget that because it was so long ago. Some risks pay off, some don't. Just my opinion. Life goes on.

I don't see much of anything innovative about Hard Candy. It was definitely carrying water from the wells of Future Sex/Love Sounds and Loose. That said, it was a fun, enjoyable album. In some ways though, I think some songs hearkened back even further to early Prince - particularly "Incredible", "She's Not Me" and "Dance 2night".

No, it definitely wasn't ahead of its time. I thought it was embarrassing how behind it was and didn't like it much when it was first released. I've grown to like it a lot, it's a solid record and there are some great songs on it, but ahead? no!

IMO the similarities are mainly due to Pharell being involved in both HC and GL, but I don't think DP or Thicke listened to HC and felt inspired ... :lol:

Guest bluejean

That's my point it didn't start a trend hence its ineligible for the distinction of ahead of its time—

I was asking whether you agreed.

Yes baby and I was agreeing with you.

Guest bluejean

I don't see much of anything innovative about Hard Candy. It was definitely carrying water from the wells of Future Sex/Love Sounds and Loose. That said, it was a fun, enjoyable album. In some ways though, I think some songs hearkened back even further to early Prince - particularly "Incredible", "She's Not Me" and "Dance 2night".

Totally agree. When I think of the term "ahead of its time" I think of something so out there, original and avant garde that the general public can't yet appreciate it. Hard Candy wasn't appreciated because it was behind the times. The general perception seemed to be that it was generic, stale and lacking in originality.

i think her voice on MDNA is really weak,

On some tracks, definitely. It doesn't even sound like her on some songs too but part of that is the quality of the songs. Cheap pop.

Stupid question. Those two songs have nothing to do with anything on that album. As usual, you come back here wanting responses to your stupid threads. Well, here's one response: you're a fuckwit.

Suedy - go away and be a grump elsewhere. If you don;t like the thread, then ignore it like I do almost all of your comments. Judging by the number of people who've commented here, it's something people have found it interesting enough to share their feelings about.

Stop making yourself look like an idiot.

Hard Candy is a fun,enjoyable album loaded with hit potential.

"Give It 2 Me","Miles Away","Beat Goes On","She's Not Me" and "Devil" are solid songs.

In some ways,I find this album to be more cohesive/consistent than MDNA,although I love both albums.

i think her voice on MDNA is really weak,

I agree with that. The vocals had great texture but there were times when she really could have belted.

Guest bluejean

I agree with that. The vocals had great texture but there were times when she really could have belted.

I think some songs were good and some weren't. Falling Free and Masterpiece were great. Love Spent for example sounded way better live.

I think, like Hard Candy, the wrong singles were chosen from MDNA. WHich often is said with the benefit of hindsight. But even at the time of the album's release, i think it became fairly obvious to most that the planned singles were not as strong as some of the album tracks.

Guest bluejean

Totally.

But then I love GGW actually. I think Gang Bang and I'm Addicted should have been singles

I would have gone:

GGW

Gang Bang

I'm Addicted

Turn Up The Radio

To all you ding bats arguing what's ahead and what's behind ( apart from your own assholes:) generally stuff that we would consider avante guard is ahead of it's time. Sounds/ trends that are followed years later ( such as bjork, massive attack, portishead, grace jones, etc are ahead of the times) which sadly is not either hard candy or American life ( though personally I prefer the latter). The only time I ever felt Madonna was " ahead of the times" was with Ray of light and music. At all other times she has been " on time".

And to GU, shut up about Loose. If Madonna had released the singles Maneater, Say It right, and Promiscuious Girl, I can assure you she would of had a ten million seller on her hands instead of left over gummy bears.

Guest bluejean

To all you ding bats arguing what's ahead and what's behind ( apart from your own assholes:) generally stuff that we would consider avante guard is ahead of it's time. Sounds/ trends that are followed years later ( such as bjork, massive attack, portishead, grace jones, etc are ahead of the times) which sadly is not either hard candy or American life ( though personally I prefer the latter). The only time I ever felt Madonna was " ahead of the times" was with Ray of light and music. At all other times she has been " on time".

Exactly

Guest bluejean

Also Daft Punk's newest album is a good listen but it also "feels reductive." Its basically a 70's disco album to me.

it's weird but she always seems to between albums when it sounds like she would fit in on radio.

Ha! I totally get what you're saying!

I kind of wish she's put some taster singles out there every now and again; stuff that's not necessarily connected to an album, but just to remind people she's still here and be a bit experimental.

But as I guess she thinks she has nothing to prove, there's no money to be made by doing that.

I never thought RoL was ahead of its time. The sound can already be heard on the I'll Remember mixes from 1994. William Orbit just seems to own one bloody synth. See also 'I'm A Sinner' which I absolutely love but which it was de-orbited.

It really depends on how you define "ahead of its time," right? You could either be talking in terms of innovation and sound, meaning it sounds like nothing before or after it (and usually ends up becoming a more popular sound later on), OR you could simply be talking about musical trends. So I can understand how someone would say the Pharrell tracks on HC are ahead of their time now that similar sounding tracks are very popular. And COADF was technically "ahead of its time" because dance wasn't very popular in 2005, but now it's all over the place.

But Madonna has rarely been ahead of trends. She's usually right on top of them. Erotica was right in line with the house thing that was happening, ROL was right in line with the electronica trend (although I have to say that at the time people were saying she was chasing the trend; in retrospect she doesn't look quite as much like a follower as she did then). Bedtime Stories and HC are example of her blatantly following trends.

Hard Candy is way more cohesive than American Life, which is disjointed and all over the place

How was AL all over the place? it's one of her most consistent/coherent albums. You're confusing synths and acoustic guitars as "disjointed," but they're consistently used throughout to complement each other. MDNA, Music, and even HC are more "all over the place" than AL.

And to GU, shut up about Loose. If Madonna had released the singles Maneater, Say It right, and Promiscuious Girl, I can assure you she would of had a ten million seller on her hands instead of left over gummy bears.

You felt Ray of light and Music were Avante Garde? :lmao: According to your definition of being ahead Madonna never has been in her records. People are obviously discussing trends relating to chart appeal. I also don't consider any of the other artists you mentioned as being particularly Avante Garde and I'm a fan of all of them. We live in a postmodern world and none of these people are creating anything new. Especially not sonically. It's the application that separates the Wheat from the Chaff.

Guest Rachelle of London

See I'd say AL was her most cohesive album...besides COADF which is too samey anyway

At the time, all of the artists mentioned there were "avant garde" to a degree. Not in the classical sense of the term, but in terms of popular music? Of course. Nobody sounded like Bjork or Portishead or Grace Jones at the time they came out. They were appropriating from other genres and artists, sure. Postmodern or not, the overall packages were unique and not being done by anyone else. Portishead and Massive Attack literally INVENTED a genre.

GetUnconscious, if you're from the UK, you of all people should understand the impact of the Bristol sound.

I just think it's a shame that at the time people were so concerned with her being a "trend-setter" that the music of HC was dismissed before many ever even heard it. It's nice to see it getting revisited and reassessed by some who may not have given it quite the fair shot it deserved upon it's release. I wouldn't say she was ahead of the curve, I agree that she was "on time" with HC (much like BS). I never thought she was trend chasing with this album either, it kind of seemed like a natural progression from COADF. Timbos brand of R&B was A LOT more dance infused than most of the R&B that was popular during those years (including his own earlier work). Before I ever heard that Madonna was going to work with him, around the time My Love was released, I thought THAT is the sound I would like Madonna to go with next time......she was just finishing CT around that time so we had no clue where she was going musically. To me, the those years were the very beginning of the current dance music trend that has taken over pop radio in the last 4-5 years. I guess because I viewed Timbos work more as an 80's inspired dance/R&B fusion the progression didn't seem so try hard to me.