Was Hard Candy ahead of its time?

johnnox

Exactly. Splitting hairs about that shit. Hence close the thread.

Debating whether Hard Candy is ahead of time or not is fine. To turn the thread into a debate about the meaning of avant garde is why it should be closed.

Anyway...

Ha ha, that was me who mentioned avante guard on page one:)

Anyhoo, i was listening to Hard Candy tonight whilst plebbing about, and I concur it is still not ahead of it's time! It's by no means a terrible album, just not up there with her best.

If she got rid of Incredible, Miles Away and 4 vomits to save the world, it would be a more cohesive and enjoyable album.

Goodnight.

Debating whether Hard Candy is ahead of time or not is fine. To turn the thread into a debate about the meaning of avant garde is why it should be closed.

Anyway...

Nice to know you're the arbiter of what's "fine." The thread is about something being "ahead of its time," which is interpreted by many as "avant garde." I love it when people get all frustrated when others elevate a discussion to a more intellectual level.

Guest bluejean

I'm tempted to make a 'Was Mr Peabody's Apple's' ahead of its time' thread. But I think those parody threads have gotten old now.

Incredible is glorious, the best thing she's done in years !!!!!!!!

Flop, Grandma pussy telling us her sex is incredible, genius!

Maybe we can ask GU if those lyrics are avante guard:) as now all Grandmas of the world will be telling us their sex is incredible:)

Nice to know you're the arbiter of what's "fine." The thread is about something being "ahead of its time," which is interpreted by many as "avant garde." I love it when people get all frustrated when others elevate a discussion to a more intellectual level.

I don't think I'm an arbiter of anything.

I'm not frustrated either.

No need to be narky.

Guest bluejean

Models don't generally post at Madonna Nation. No matter how many model photos we all have.

What about that guy that called everyone pieces of shit or whatever for doubting the fake Anna. Pretty sure he's a model :lmao:

Hard Candy was the turning point in her career in the UK. Although 4 Minutes was huge, by the time Miles Away came out, Radio 1 had abandoned her and there seemed a notable shift away from her. Celebration only got airplay once it charted in the top ten and from then on, Radio 1 has decided to focus on younger artists. Same with U2 though.

By the time MA came out, she had turned 50 and in a sense divorced herself from not only her husband at the time, but her lifestyle of the previous 10 years. She was back in NYC more, rumors of fucking an American baseball player, adopting a more "American" sound. I don't think it's as simple as "the UK abandoned her b/c she divorced Guy Ritchie", BUT I firmly believe that EVERYTHING surrounding that situation dented her image in the UK.

By the time MA came out, she had turned 50 and in a sense divorced herself from not only her husband at the time, but her lifestyle of the previous 10 years. She was back in NYC more, rumors of fucking an American baseball player, adopting a more "American" sound. I don't think it's as simple as "the UK abandoned her b/c she divorced Guy Ritchie", BUT I firmly believe that EVERYTHING surrounding that situation dented her image in the UK.

How do you explain the 15 years of chart dominance in the UK before she met Guy?

I love a Hard Candy always generates these polarizing opinions and hot debates, when will the other albums?

Never, because they are lessors.

HC > every'thannnnnn.

The real question is, Will Madonna step her game up because of Hard Candy?

Erotica, AL, and BS -- all superior albums on every level -- have all generated just as many polarizing opinions, if not more. The ones who think HC is one of her best albums are in the clear minority. All you have to do it look at one of the "rank Madonna's albums" threads. It's become one of the most disliked Madonna albums ever and despite attempts like this thread, I just don't see it becoming beloved/respected the way Erotica and even AL have.

I have to add that I don't think it's a bad album by any means, and there are a bunch of great tracks/ideas on it. But overall it's one of her weaker efforts in a career filled with pretty damn great albums.

HC is clearly musically underrated, the artwork really killed it. I've read some intersting comments on how Candy Shop had been taken to another lever thanks the MDNA tour. I guess seeing M perform this song with that classy outfit had a better effect than what she wore on the album cover or on the SST opening number...

Guest Rachelle of London

How do you explain the 15 years of chart dominance in the UK before she met Guy?

Thank you!

Or Celebration becoming a Top 3 hit a year AFTER the divorce?