Was Hard Candy ahead of its time?

johnnox

Based on two of the biggest hits of the year, Daft Punk's Get Lucky and Robin Thicke's Blurred lines, was Hard Candy ahead of its time?

She was accused of jumping on the r'n'nb and Timbaland/ Timberlake band wagons at the time. But when you hear the Thicke/ Pharrel/ Daft Punk collaborations doing so well right now, they are not that far removed from Give It 2 Me, Dance 2Nite, Candy Shop, The Beat Goes On etc.

Had Hard Candy been released this year, would it have sold more or received more praise?

I think you have a solid point, I already mentioned this somewhere... I think in the Daft Punk thread over in the other music section, on top of those two examples, I think it's valid to point Beyoncés new work which is being feted by critics was done by Timbaland.

But I think Hard Candy could have been more of a success on release if the promotion hadn't bene so... try hard. That's not to say I don't love the OTT granny-hooker-pimp look of the whole thing, I think that worked, I don't think the lead single with younger boytoy and nonsensical lyrics and sexy dance between them worked. Or the way the sold the album in general, it's not very representative. Had they lead with the weird old-school/modern hiphop twinges of Candy Shop with it's amazing horns or the sprawling future-disco sounds of She's Not Me or Incredible, they might have gotten a more legitimate critical reception.

Hard Candy had alot of potential but the problem is...the right singles weren't released.

"Beat Goes On" and "She's Not Me" should have been the second and third singles."Devil" could have been the fourth.

But you bring up an interesting point.The Pharrell/Daft Punk song "Get Lucky" is doing extremely well.In addition,Justin Timberlake's latest album,produced by Timbaland,is one of the year's biggest sellers.

Hard Candy could have easily sold well,too.It's the most commercial album Madonna had done in years.They (Madonna and/or Warners) just screwed up the promotion.

Oh, I was thinking just today that She's Not Me had the same Get Lucky vibe!!!!!! And i thought that it was a pity that it was not released as first single in a more 'nile rodgers' way.

TBGO is in the same line more or less.

Had Hard Candy been released this year, would it have sold more or received more praise?

With that first single NO! But with Candy Shop 2013 and She's Not Me with mere energy, YES.

It might be two years ahead of daft punk, but daft punk are just four years behind nelly furtardo. So to answer your question, NO!

I like some of the songs and like others have mentioned beat goes on should be first single, give it to me second single and she's not me should have been third. The rest is like trying to wrap a beautiful piece of Turkish delight in shit celafane wrapping.

I actually made a thread in the music forum a couple of months ago suggesting that R and B and hip hop would be the next thing in pop music. I'm sure we will hear soul and funk inspiration and lots of REAL R and B and HIP HOP (not ganstah and booty shaking light) all done around an electronic frame. I always liked Hard Candy, it has a lot of great songs. I never saw her jumping on the bandwagon because vocally/lyrically/rhythmically her songs were very different to what was around at the time. The songs were still very MADONNA on the whole. This is why Madonna is never really lagging behind...because she doesn't follow.

I completely agree with the original statement. When I heard Robin Thicke's song I immediately heard "Give It 2 Me" and Daft Punk is like a mix of "Beat Goes On" and "Dance 2Night"...

To me Hard Candy is way more solid than MDNA. The singles were good and there are no fillers for me, not even Spanish Lesson (i looooove the production). Pharrell material was WAY BETTER and original than the one by Timbaland. Timbo songs were nothing amazing production wise (I still think Dance 2night is a masterpiece though) but MDNA has even more generic songs (GGW, TUTR, Superstar, BS) than the Timbaland ones on Hard Candy.

No, as I said in another thread, the charts just seem to be mining the musical styles of the past twenty years. UK Garage is now making a return here. Hard Candy's Timbaland production sounded old then and it still sounds old now. Timberlake's Mirrors is just so dated but so many other songs are too. Robin Thicke's song is Pharrell's GI2M production ripping off Marvin Gaye's Got To Give.

It seems like that there isn't much originality around at the moment in the music or fashion worlds.

Its just a case that trends are lasting more than ever before. During the 80s and the 90s a trend would become out of fashion in a blink of an eye. Now it seems that everything last much longer. You see disposable pop garbage like Rihanna, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga reaching 8, 7, 6, 5 years careers without ever evolving from the sound that originally made them famous.

Hard Candy was dated from its first single and though the album is superior to MDNA with respect to cohesion and robust production it hasn't an edge over anything released prior or since.

I've always thought Beat Goes On was way too strong a track to not be a single. Had it been released this year, with a video of course, it had the potential to be a huge hit.

Guest bluejean

No. It wasn't.

The reason She's Not Me sounds like Get Lucky is because they have similar influences and both involve Pharrell. Both songs are derivative of older styles.

Hand Candy was BEHIND the times. It just so happens some of those styles are coming back. These things happen in cycles.

Sorry but the suggestion that Hard Candy was ahead of its time is abit ridiculous. If so I guess Nelly Furtado was well ahead of her time :lol:

on my experience all Ms music since ROL is ahead of time. and not only in music but in style and fashion. i dont say this as a fan.

MDNA is also ahead and you will say that just when next tour will be out somewhere...couse so many stars see a role model in her so they will try with their realises to act like most succesfull star on pop scene.

also...i m listening so much Hard Candy these days...and when it was out i was in AL faze...

Guest bluejean

Loose sounds nothing like Hard Candy. Stop talking shit.

Firstly, you talk shit constantly. Secondly, certain songs do and even if they didn't you are missing the point. The album was hell dated when it came out and to say it was ahead of its time is really clutching at straws. I've heard the same things about American Life. I mean seriously.

Anyway, we'll catch up properly in the Kylie thread shortly.

Sorry but the suggestion that Hard Candy was ahead of its time is abit ridiculous.

It's a question to discuss, forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought that was a forum was about? :popcorn2:

Guest bluejean

It's a question to discuss, forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought that was a forum was about? :popcorn2:

Yes and I'm discussing it :D

Robin Thicke's Blurred lines & Give it 2 me are basically the same song :popcorn2:

I listened to both of them this morning back to back and thought exactly the same thing.