Your Unpopular Madonna Opinions

Guest Lum

Guest Borderline

I consider I'm Breathless to be a studio album (otherwise it would've been called the Dick Tracy Soundtrack, which it's not).

Her best song ever is 'Open Your Heart'.

The Erotica album is highly overrated, and mostly boring.

I loathe her version of 'Fever'.

Hard Candy is far superior to both Confessions & MDNA.

Forbidden Love BS is an amazingly sexy song, and trumps it's Confessions counterpart.

I cringe that she's dating such younger guys; I just want to see her with a man, not a boy.

Spanish Lesson is a harmless, fun song.

B-Day Song is embarrassing.

• Every 80s tour is dull as hell (often only having 1 good secion (BAT) or a baby's handful of good performances)
  • Future Lovers/I Feel Love will remain the best tour opener
  • Whilst Erotica isn't a bad album, it takes a lot of effort to get into it
  • Music, on the other hand, is generally awful (save 3 or 4 tracks)
  • Music, the song, in it's original version is awful. The only tour mixes I've liked have been on the CT and S&S. Most of the official remixes were awful too (although a few unofficial are really good)
  • Jesus Luz >>> Brahim
  • The album version of Celebration is way better than the remixed version
  • The only good guitar performances were on the DWT and S&S

But she's still a whole lot better than anybody else

I dont like her tours pre Blonde Ambition, mostly becuz of the horrible 80s outfits :lol:

Reinvention tour is amazing and my favorite performance of vogue is the RIT one.

Gang bang got old for me fast, i dont think its as fierce as people make it out to be.

I feel like Madonna was trying too hard to be cutting edge with Bedtime Story and failed miserably and the video looks dated as hell now.

I love her work with Steven Klein even the hard candy shoot

WIlliam Orbit was a one trick poney and I want her to work with Mirwais again

I hate it when she says "Its a secret." regarding any new work(s).

I loved her time with Stuart Price, but have no longing for them to work together again.

I think she'll work with Martin Solveig and hope she does a song or 2 w/ Mirwais on the next album.

I think that "Demo" Castellon is the shittiest sound engineer and mixer she's EVER worked with. He doesn't get her sound at all...

more "Spike". (not sure if thats an unpopular opinion, though)

She needs to sit down with Guy O and outline 'professionalism' with him. For example: Don't answer Twitter questions if you a) don't know the answer or

b) can't be bothered to give an intelligent one if you do know the answer... He's got his head up his ass, it seems.

I'm all for her happiness and really no longer care who she dates, BUT this little boy fetish IMO makes her look foolish.... oh, and Brahim looks like

a character on "The Simpsons", so I reeeeeealllllly don't get it.

Looking back all these years later, The ROL era has some of the most cringe-worthy moments in the 29 years I've been a fan.

I like Evita, and wish that her next film would be directing a musical... without starring in it.

which leads me to...

I love that she multitasks, that's how she rolls, but WHY on earth would she think IABWA or F&W or W/E or ToD Shoes and Perfume deserve

more promotion and air time than the albums and toure she's selling is beyond me. If she wants to let her work speak for itself, then I'd rather see no interviews

at all if she's going to dissect character motivations, etc.

BUT,

I appreciate her social work and endeavors to bring about social change.

All in all, music wise, I have little complaint because even the songs I don't "like" are far from being hated by me.

Oh, and I don't think the RIT was a very good representation of her, it was the "Jamie King Show" to me. there were thrilling moments, sure, but

based solely on the fact that JK talked M into singing Material Girl (at all) much less w/ a guitar, is worthy of job termination.

Guest Rachelle of London

Bedtime Stories is her best album

American Life is amazing

Incredible is one of the greatest things shes recorded

Me Against The Music is great

In this Life is AMAZING

Like a Prayer is her worst album

Reinvention Tour is soooo boring

There are loads more!

Guest Not4Pussies

I like It's So Cool and all its different transformations

MDNA does seem weak, rushed and uninspired at times

If it wasn't for its lyrical content, Love Spent is actually quite messy.

I like Revolver

Although COADF is a good album and I like it, it bores me at times

Drowned World Tour still remains my number 1 favorite tour

The ReInvention Tour is a greatest hits tour

Madonna is no longer the trendsetter or the one ahead of the pack when it comes to album collaborators and producers. Rihanna and Britney seem more ahead of her and experiment more. COADF was the last time Madonna was ahead of her time and leading the pack when it comes to SOUND AND ALBUM PRODUCERS

X-Static Process is my all time favorite Madonna song

love that song.

90s Madonna is the best Madonna (I guess that's unpopular not from a fan perspective, but from a general public perspective??)

Girl Gone Wild is badly produced, and the lyrics are subpar - but it's still an awesome song!!!!

Mer Girl is one of her best songs.

Guest Rachelle of London

Every time I hear people say Like a Prayer is her weakest album a little piece of my soul dies...

sorry! It contains my all time fave song from her LAP but the album just doesnt do it for me personally.

Guest Rachelle of London

She needs to stop working with Steven Klein and find some new photographers to work with

I hate "Like a Virgin" (but I love the BA, CT, and MDNA tour versions)

I love "Angel"

I find the original version of "Into the Groove" monotonous and prefer the remixes

I don't really care for "Papa Don't Preach" very much

I don't like the original version of "Causing a Commotion" (Shep's remix is better)

The WTG Tour is terrible

I like "Love Song" a lot

I think Dick Tracy is one of her best film performances (except when she tries to cry on the dock)

I love "This Used to Be My Playground" (maybe that's not unpopular outside the Ciccone household though)

The "Human Nature" video isn't all that

I prefer Madonna's voice pre-Evita

I don't like the lyrics or vocals on "Little Star"

I really didn't get the love for "Beautiful Stranger" when it came out. It's okay now though.

I like "Amazing" and think it should have been a single (the hook is unreal and I like the girl group vibe)

I didn't like "Die Another Day" at the time, but it's a favorite now

I hate her vocals on "Hung Up" and still think the lyrics are silly

I like "Push"

I like "Turn Up the Radio" and think it should have been the first single

Oh, and I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I think "Revolver" should have been the lead single from Celebration. I hate that the song exists - it's not a bad song per se, but it's not right for Madonna. Hell, I don't think even Britney would touch it. And her vocals are probably her worst ever. BUT if you're going to be a total sell out and buy a track you didn't write and slap Lil Wayne on it to sound hip and current, then the least you could do is released it as the lead single so it has the potential to become a hit. Otherwise what's the point of shitting on your legacy with such a piece of shit song? It's the way I feel about 4M. At least she scored a hit. Following the success of that song, I think "Revolver" had a good shot at becoming at least a moderate hit in the U.S., but as the second single (released way too late and with no video or promo) it was just lost.

I think that "Demo" Castellon is the shittiest sound engineer and mixer she's EVER worked with. He doesn't get her sound at all...

more "Spike". (not sure if thats an unpopular opinion, though)

Looking back all these years later, The ROL era has some of the most cringe-worthy moments in the 29 years I've been a fan.

I love that she multitasks, that's how she rolls, but WHY on earth would she think IABWA or F&W or W/E or ToD Shoes and Perfume deserve

more promotion and air time than the albums and toure she's selling is beyond me. If she wants to let her work speak for itself, then I'd rather see no interviews

at all if she's going to dissect character motivations, etc.

I've heard the Demo criticism before, but I don't really hear a problem. Maybe I just pay more attention to the songs themselves? I don't know. Can you or someone else provide examples?

What are some examples of the ROL era that make you cringe? I would agree that this is when she started getting a little cheesy/goofy/embarrassing.

I disagree about F&W and W.E. Why don't her films, which she wrote and directed, deserve as much promo as her music? She arguably worked as hard, if not harder, on them than she does her music these days. She's obviously passionate about them. I know we all prefer Madonna the pop star, but still. I agree about the money-making projects and the Malawai stuff. Good for her for using her fame and power for philanthropy, but I could care less at this point. I want the art.

I enjoy One More Chance; Hard Candy is better than American Life; I really like Incredible; Celebration is a great song; Turn Up The Radio should have been the first single and performed at the Superbowl; I can't stand Some Girls; GMAYL is an ok track; Confessions is a great album but a bit overrated; I prefer the original WIFLFAG version over the video version; WE was ok but boring; Love Song is amazing; American Pie should have been included in Celebration 2-Disc version... and I guess the most controversial opinion I have is that the DWT was her worst tour ever.

I hate "Like a Virgin" (but I love the BA, CT, and MDNA tour versions)

I love "Angel"

I find the original version of "Into the Groove" monotonous and prefer the remixes

I don't really care for "Papa Don't Preach" very much

I don't like the original version of "Causing a Commotion" (Shep's remix is better)

The WTG Tour is terrible

I like "Love Song" a lot

I think Dick Tracy is one of her best film performances (except when she tries to cry on the dock)

I love "This Used to Be My Playground" (maybe that's not unpopular outside the Ciccone household though)

The "Human Nature" video isn't all that

I prefer Madonna's voice pre-Evita

I don't like the lyrics or vocals on "Little Star"

I really didn't get the love for "Beautiful Stranger" when it came out. It's okay now though.

I like "Amazing" and think it should have been a single (the hook is unreal and I like the girl group vibe)

I didn't like "Die Another Day" at the time, but it's a favorite now

I hate her vocals on "Hung Up" and still think the lyrics are silly

I like "Push"

I like "Turn Up the Radio" and think it should have been the first single

Oh, and I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I think "Revolver" should have been the lead single from Celebration. I hate that the song exists - it's not a bad song per se, but it's not right for Madonna. Hell, I don't think even Britney would touch it. And her vocals are probably her worst ever. BUT if you're going to be a total sell out and buy a track you didn't write and slap Lil Wayne on it to sound hip and current, then the least you could do is released it as the lead single so it has the potential to become a hit. Otherwise what's the point of shitting on your legacy with such a piece of shit song? It's the way I feel about 4M. At least she scored a hit. Following the success of that song, I think "Revolver" had a good shot at becoming at least a moderate hit in the U.S., but as the second single (released way too late and with no video or promo) it was just lost.

I've heard the Demo criticism before, but I don't really hear a problem. Maybe I just pay more attention to the songs themselves? I don't know. Can you or someone else provide examples?

What are some examples of the ROL era that make you cringe? I would agree that this is when she started getting a little cheesy/goofy/embarrassing.

I disagree about F&W and W.E. Why don't her films, which she wrote and directed, deserve as much promo as her music? She arguably worked as hard, if not harder, on them than she does her music these days. She's obviously passionate about them. I know we all prefer Madonna the pop star, but still. I agree about the money-making projects and the Malawai stuff. Good for her for using her fame and power for philanthropy, but I could care less at this point. I want the art.

Baby, that's what makes these opinions Unpopular. no excuses necessary! LOL

But, listen to: Voices, Devil, I'm Addicted, I'm A Sinner, and Love Spent. Great songs, bad mixing/ mastering. He just takes the depth out of the songs.

ROL: Madonna Rising, w/ Rupert was cringe worthy, but cute. But the MTV Awards, Fashion Awards, and just many of the interviews at that time made me a little squirmy, like she didn't even completely buy what she was saying 100%... but she really wanted to.

As far as the movies go, Thats't just my opinion. I'd rather have music. And I've sat through enough of her movies to safely say I don't care to sit through another one.

Call me selfish.

I really don't care to even see an interview via Traditional Promo. No one asks anything interesting or new.

Id rather get her message through her work

I LOVE Shoo-Bee-Doo. I'd love to sing it in karaoke.

When Something To Remember came out, I thought ''she should've chosen One More Chance over You'll See.''

The rap part of American Life is the best part of the song.

I don't get the hatred for Love Makes The Workd Go Round. It's a nice catchy song.

The MDNA sleeve is crap.

I will definitely skip LAV on the MDNA DVD.

I can't with all the hate for Erotica and it's timeless era..

tumblr_mo002aULDm1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

Anyway

I love the song Revolver

The original version of Express Yourself is awful compared to the Shep mix.

Her hair and eyebrows looked like shit during the True Blue era.

I want her to be in more movies

Amazing is anything BUT, and it sounds like a recycled Beautiful Stranger and ROL remix

I like when Madonna sounds crowish at times.

I love the Hollywood video and song.

The girlie show is pretty boring compared to other shows

Hmm that's all I really can think of for now.

Guest PRPapi

Cool thread! Here are my little morsels:

I think One More Chance is a beautiful, very emotive, and very underrated song - even with it's cheesy bridge;

I LOVE her remake and her vocals on Love Don't Live Here Anymore! I use it to shut people up when they say she can't sing;

I hate the Like A Virgin album - though I like MG, DYU and A;

Hard Candy is an AWESOME album and REALLY appeals to straight, non and/or casual fans;

American Life - the song - is GREAT and was/is way ahead of its time; and the album is FANTASTIC! - I use it to shut those who say she's not a real "artist.";

Although PDP, OYH, LTT and LIB are classics, overall, TB - the album - kinda sucks;

Take A Bow is a GEM!;

I wish Madonna did MORE guitar stuff and less dance!;

Nobody's Perfect is a BRILLIANT song!;

Some Girls and Superstar suck donkey balls;

Although good, Falling Free is boring - as is her LAV rendition (the song, not her performance) on the MDNA tour;

She's beautiful, looks amazing, is sexy and an inspiration and should continue pushing the envelope and all o' dat...however, she still needs to tone down her dressing/outfits. I was out-right embarrassed for her on the Billboard Music Awards, and her speech bored me; and, finally...

She's a good actress.

:)

• I think she looked terrible 2001-2003
  • I hate her perfume Truth or Dare by Madonna - old lady cologne
  • I think she needs new management
  • I hate her choice of singles the last two albums

More to follow......

YES!!! Especially the bolded!

Half of Erotica is boring, and it and LAP are kind of overrated. Kinda.

True Blue is her worst album, and she looked awful 90 percent of the time in that era.

All tours pre-Reinvention are overrated, especially Drowned World and Girlie Show. Reinvention is her most boring (which isn't that unpopular) and WTG is pretty dreadful too.

The importance placed on chart positions, single choices, and sales by Madonna fans at this point is a little silly. While I am always happy for her success, she doesn't need to rely on those things at this point in her career.

I'll take "crow" vocals over the huskier vocals any day.

I couldn't sit and watch the Girlie Show, it bores me so much and i hated her look/hair

Same goes for the WTG tour

Revolver makes me cringe

I loved Body of Evidence and Swept Away

I don't think she's so bad as an actress as people say she is and I actually wish she'd be in more movies

I never watched the movies she directed

I think Rain is a boring song, don't like the video either.

I think she's really attractive and beautiful

Hard Candy and MDNA are fucking amazing